DT11 double discharge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

So went to Grimsthorpe today to shoot some practise and have a blast on the high tower arena. After about 100 shells got a double discharge on my DT11. 1 more normal pair and then another double discharge. Put the gun away then and used my dads 694 after that. Anyone know of any common issues causing double discharges in the Beretta DT guns?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My dt10 had this problem way out of warranty, it should have been recalled for some modified parts but was missed, had it sent to gmk and all good even had a bag of bits to boot, woud have thought it would have been fixed with the dt11 though 

My dt10 had this problem way out of warranty, it should have been recalled for some modified parts but was missed, had it sent to gmk and all good even had a bag of bits to boot, woud have thought it would have been fixed with the dt11 though 
I've had a bit of a look online and there has been a few cases of double discharges but no responses saying what was fixed or replaced to cure them. Mine is about 5 years old, 20,000 carts and just over a year out of warranty, so going to be getting a bill for it. Just hoping that a problem is visible that can be fixed and it's not just a quick clean, oil and then hope/ pray. Absolutely love the gun so don't want to lose confidence in it really.

Not specific to a DT11 but any chance in the heat that you not quite holding the stock firmly enough, I have had a similar issue in heavy rain where its not a true double but the recoil due to stock slipping pulled the trigger the second time almost instantly, not saying this is the case but it does mess with your head as you are not sure what to expect when you pull the trigger, hope you can get it sorted.

So went to Grimsthorpe today to shoot some practise and have a blast on the high tower arena. After about 100 shells got a double discharge on my DT11. 1 more normal pair and then another double discharge. Put the gun away then and used my dads 694 after that. Anyone know of any common issues causing double discharges in the Beretta DT guns?

Thanks
Doubt it’s a double discharge, far more likely to be a fan fire. If it is it’s shooter error as you’re pulling the trigger twice although you probably don’t realise it. Fan fire’s tend to happen if:

1. The gun isn’t mounted in the shoulder correctly or the hand is loose on the grip at the time the shot’s taken.

2. Your stock has a spring operated recoil reduction device like a Gracoil or PFS.

3. You’re wearing several layers of clothing that you perhaps don’t use regularly.

Making sure you mount and shoot the gun correctly will help. A gunsmith can also have the mechanism that sets the second barrel retarded slightly. In my experience this tends to be more of a problem with inertia rather than mechanical triggered guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amber Hill was having a lot of trouble in the latest world cups with her DT in the pouring rain in Korea.

Not a double discharge but opening the thing, also not firing at one point, resorting to hitting the lever with a stock Allen key screwdriver many times to open it during the round.

Showed brilliant concentration abilities to keep focused and only drop one out of 30 in the medal shoot offs

Have a look on ISSF youtube channel

Doubt it’s a double discharge, far more likely to be a fan fire. If it is it’s shooter error as you’re pulling the trigger twice although you probably don’t realise it. Fan fire’s tend to happen if:

1. The gun isn’t mounted in the shoulder correctly or the hand is loose on the grip at the time the shot’s taken.

2. Your stock has a spring operated recoil reduction device like a Gracoil or PFS.

3. You’re wearing several layers of clothing that you perhaps don’t use regularly.

Making sure you mount and shoot the gun correctly will help. A gunsmith can also have the mechanism that sets the second barrel retarded slightly. In my experience this tends to be more of a problem with inertia rather than mechanical triggered guns.
As far as I could tell it was a true double discharge, if it was a fan fire it was too close together for me to tell.

Dropped it in at Derek Lees yesterday for him to have a look, so see what or if he can find anything wrong with it. I would imagine first port of call may be a new pair of sear springs, but see what he thinks once he's had a look. Also got him looking at the forend catch while it's in, as the lever had started to creep out a mm or so on shooting.

I would clean up the trigger group and take a measurement about the trigger pull weight. Perhaps there is some wear on the sears

that lead to releasing the hammers too early.

@Jonny English Any updates on this? Curious to any cause and/or remedy. 
Not had any feed back from the gunsmith as yet. Think mine hasn't reached the front of the queue yet, as the gunsmith has a fair bit on.

He speculated that it may be an issue with weak seer springs, but yet to confirm that either way on inspection.

Bit of a small update, spoke to the gunsmith this morning.

No sign of chips, damage or wear and tear around the inertia block area, all looks as it should be.

Trigger pulls have been checked and are well low, should have been around 3.5 and are actually around 2 to 2.25.

Current course of action is to change the sear springs as a matter of course and then to adjust the trigger pulls back up to where they should be at around 3.5. Unsure if it wear and tear or if the trigger pulls have always been on the low side. Hopefully this will sort it, but only time will tell.

i had this with a dt10.i sent it back to gmk who first put a complete new trigger group in however when it came back it did it again so back to gmk.i then spoke to the workshop foreman there (not something you can do with many brands)he had my gun in front of him and said it should be ok with a new trigger unit as basically that is all there is.i said as the only thing not changed was the safety/selector unit he said we will replace that and since then and many thousands of shots its been absolutely faultless.

Just had this with my DT10 this weekend at Barbury. It happened before a few years ago.  It’s going to my gunsmith when he can fit me in.  It does nothing for your nerves.  I can’t shoot naturally when this happens as it makes me really jittery waiting to see if it happens again.  

Just had this with my DT10 this weekend at Barbury. It happened before a few years ago.  It’s going to my gunsmith when he can fit me in.  It does nothing for your nerves.  I can’t shoot naturally when this happens as it makes me really jittery waiting to see if it happens again.  
I can completely understand that. I shoot superfast and two double discharges in 3 shots did come very sharp. I don't want to lose confidence in the gun, but if it does it again when it's finally back from the gunsmith, it's on borrowed time!

Know what you mean I had to get rid of my dt10, I was expecting a double discharge or misfire at every stand and my scores fell off a cliff, took me a couple of months to get back to normal with another gun 

Had the phone call today to pick the beretta up from Derek Lees, all complete. Works done have been: changed 2 sear springs, general service and tighten up, improve trigger pulls from 2 back up to 3.5lb, adjust forend catch that was creeping out.

On initial impressions he looks to have made a cracking job of it. Gun is nice and tight, like a new one again. It's been extensively test fired at the workshop and been trouble free, so hopefully she's back to full working order, time will tell.

Back