24gram shells

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

Morning all,

What's people's opinions on 24gram shells, and are there any recommendations on them?

I shot a budget shells the other week and not only was it smoother, but it powdered the sporting targets I pointed it at!

I switched over to 24gm and have not regretted it. To me they have a number of benefits - in the main less recoil, cheaper and seem to pattern better. I shoot Fiocchi Officials and F Blacks, RC 2s and Eley Select all really good. 

As a slight generalisation, what I’ve seen from patterning is that smaller loads such as 24g and 21g tend to offer the centre part of a 28g shell if that makes sense. So what you’re missing from 28g is the outer part of the pattern, which is usually a bit random anyway. So if you’re on target (centre) you will get the same quality of kill. What you may lose is a chippy kill at distance occasionally. It’s a bit like using more choke. If I was using 24g and not shooting anything distant I would avoid tight chokes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all,

What's people's opinions on 24gram shells, and are there any recommendations on them?

I shot a budget shells the other week and not only was it smoother, but it powdered the sporting targets I pointed it at!
I'd have no problem at all switching to 24g loads. With the cost and environmental pressures the sport's facing it's daft we don't and I find it surprising the CPSA haven't taken a lead on this. 

That said, for obvious performance reasons I won't switch until it's mandated by the governing body and a requirement for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
not 24g related but it was mentioned about budget shells,  I too have moved down to a budget shell and really pleasantly surprised by their performance and saving £12 a slab on current prices

I've shot 24g Eley select in plaswad and fibre for about eight years now, excellent patterns thrown too.

I'm using 24g Sellier and Bellot both Steel and lead, can't complain about them except the Steel seems a little dirty 

I'm using 24g Sellier and Bellot both Steel and lead, can't complain about them except the Steel seems a little dirty 
I did not know that S&B were still sold here. In the 80's they were sold in a wooden box holding 1000  cartridges. I used to buy mine at Skipton Gun Room, then leave the car there and go to the market on a Saturday.

I mainly use eley select 24gm fibre through quarter choke.knocks down on all the sporting grounds that I shoot at.

I too used by to use S&B's in the late 80's & early 90's, cracking cartridge 👍

The Jocker 24gm super flash is a good as cart as you’ll find for most clays

Sellier & Bellot:

Look at the Sellier & Bellot website https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/products/shotgun-shells/sporting-shotgun-shells/ then give Mike at Black Lion Cartridges a call on 01422 885885 and he will give you the current price for the cartridges you want.  The Parcours are currently £230 p/1,000 in 28gm plastic wad (S&B don’t do them in fibre wad) and are an excellent cartridge for their price in our view (my wife and I both use them).  We collected them from his premises in Mytholmroyd.

Fiocchi TT2. Not as snappy as the S&B in my opinion. Good, constant breaks, confortable to shoot.

Latest posts

Back