monte carlo

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

advice please , i have a xs pro crown sporter  its a beauty , my gripe is  i have to have the comb up  and i don't like the gap between comb and stock  it spoils the aesthetics ,  should i have a monte carlo made / fitted  or would it pay to part x   something with a monte carlo like a gureni  ?     thoughts please !    

advice please , i have a xs pro crown sporter  its a beauty , my gripe is  i have to have the comb up  and i don't like the gap between comb and stock  it spoils the aesthetics ,  should i have a monte carlo made / fitted  or would it pay to part x   something with a monte carlo like a gureni  ?     thoughts please !    
Have a proper fitting 

Monte Carlo ate over diagnosed and cause more issues than there worth. They’re for a specific body type mainly female 

other wise they are used to correct bad gun mounts 

Monte Carlo ate over diagnosed and cause more issues than there worth. They’re for a specific body type mainly female 

other wise they are used to correct bad gun mounts 
point taken , but as a prescription glasses wearer    I'm led to believe  the monte carlo stock  keeps your head up   eyes looking through the centre lens through the sweet spot at the clay ?    anyone out there using a monte carlo  ?  

point taken , but as a prescription glasses wearer    I'm led to believe  the monte carlo stock  keeps your head up   eyes looking through the centre lens through the sweet spot at the clay ?    anyone out there using a monte carlo  ?  
This can be achieved in many ways. Head up also puts the spine up straight and causes issues keeping the line whilst rotating 

It’s a drastic step, having a stock made just because you don’t like the look of a raised comb but yes, a Monte Carlo stock may suit although it does depend upon your body shape and how you mount the gun. Depending upon the degree of drop they do help position the recoil pad flat to the shoulder and lift the head, keeping the eyes level. Given their shape and size they tend to be better suited to a shooter that pre-mounts the gun although you’ll find several OSK shooters that use them very successfully.

This video may help:

The question then  , is this a stock problem or  a specs problem . £200 will get you a pair of ZS  shooting glasses to your prescription from JH Stewart - Bisley Optician . They have an adjustable bridge , and the the lenses will be made to suit . You will look right through the middle when the gun is mounted .

Some people can shoot brilliantly in their ordinary specs . I can’t I’ve got the Zeiss specs as above and I’ve got throw away contact lenses from Costco at about £1.50 a pair . I prefer the Zeiss . 

The question then  , is this a stock problem or  a specs problem . £200 will get you a pair of ZS  shooting glasses to your prescription from JH Stewart - Bisley Optician . They have an adjustable bridge , and the the lenses will be made to suit . You will look right through the middle when the gun is mounted .

Some people can shoot brilliantly in their ordinary specs . I can’t I’ve got the Zeiss specs as above and I’ve got throw away contact lenses from Costco at about £1.50 a pair . I prefer the Zeiss . 
yes i wear the zeiss .  very good specs  ! 

Get it fitted first!

But no harm in looking at Guerini's in the mean time! 😁😁😁

Does the Allsport catch the eye? 
yes it dose   ticks many boxes ! 

but as a prescription glasses wearer    I'm led to believe  the monte carlo stock  keeps your head up   eyes looking through the centre lens through the sweet spot at the clay ?    
This is one of shooting's myths. When I last changed guns at the height of the last raised rib craze and still reffing sporting shoots I was able to try numerous guns and in virtually every configuration on the market. At no point did I find my head more upright as they were all set to shoot like standard sporters. I concluded that gun fit is all about seeing the right picture and not about how high your rib or comb is. There may however be some benefit with a Monte Carlo by having the comb and rib parallel.

Your neck angle depends on your stance. If you're a stock crawler with a crouching stance like many trappies you will likely be looking out of the upper part of the eye to avoid neck pain, but the hedge monkeys are generally somewhat more upright due to the need to shoot both high and low targets.

Some of the serious continental OT shooters have ultra high ribs and combs which maintain the required sight picture and head position whilst serving to reduce the angle between the bore line and the comb. This lowers the mechanical advantage, thereby minimising muzzle flip.

Some of the serious continental OT shooters have ultra high ribs and combs which maintain the required sight picture and head position whilst serving to reduce the angle between the bore line and comb.
I’m not sure a very high rib would offer any advantages when it comes to OT.

Who, may I ask, are you referring to? I can’t think of anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see the bore centre is in a straight line back to the shoulder thus no muzzle flip. You can also see that his eye/rib relationship is pretty normal. I realise it's not an OT gun but there was a French competitor at the Olympics with a similar set up on an O/U.

chipking_2008_030388-jpg.226739

You can see the bore centre is in a straight line back to the shoulder thus no muzzle flip. You can also see that his eye/rib relationship is pretty normal. I realise it's not an OT gun but there was a French competitor at the Olympics with a similar set up on an O/U.

This is my good friend Saeed, he’s a skeet shooter. This is his fathers side by side adapted for one of his crazy ideas 

with any good gun fit muzzle flip is a myth. 

Yep, agree with all of that.

I think you’re perhaps getting DT and OT mixed up though. A high rib provided a meaningful advantage when shooting the first DT target. It wouldn’t offer any benefit shooting OT though. OT guns are, for the most part, standard high stocked trap guns with fixed choke 30” barrels.

Back