Steel shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k80ben

So much nonsense written about steel shot and chokes etc. 

Dornsberg is the hardest shooting ground going the targets are on a mountain covered with forestry. You shoot up, down and out over valleys. Furthest target with a range finder was 82m and this target was broken constantly and broken very well. No ricochet and greenery everywhere.  

28gm number 7 in steel were everyone’s choice recoil is normal and kills the same as lead. (Better at close range) 

When the change comes sporting and fitasc will remain the same and the scores as always with change won’t be effected.

the neigh sayers will say it’s not effective but having shot steel a lot over the last 10 years I for one will have no issues. 

On the competition  I shot 98/100 with 7/8s choke and a student was second with 94 shooting a full and full perazzi. 

video shown is 25 yard crosser and a 45 yard crosser total smoke balls 3/8s and 1/2 choke 28gm 7 steel

View attachment IMG_7105.MOV

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask what cartridge ( brand / wad ) you were using? Most clay grounds in this part of SW are “fibre only” which is another can of worms.

May I ask what cartridge ( brand / wad ) you were using? Most clay grounds in this part of SW are “fibre only” which is another can of worms.
Correct fibre and steel is the difficulty. We shot Gamebore, cheddite and NSI all with bio wad steel 

Last edited by a moderator:
and now that the task of making a decision on lead has been handed to the hse there will be a lot more nonesense talked about steel and lead.anti shooting groups have long been trying to get lead and anything else to do with the sport banned with no evidence of harm to life or land.hse are for the workplace surely the right people to do studies are the environment agencies.

its going to get very messy      with us the shooters bending over backwards as per usual ,    and cost as with everything shooting related  will rise significantly   !! 

Latest posts

Back