Can you/one shoot too much?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robden

I usually shoot a comp every weekend. I often shoot twice and sometimes 3 times a week as well as the weekend comp. 

My scores of late have become quite inconsistent and I'm wondering if I'm doing (trying too hard) too much.  Is it worth just shooting from comp to comp? 

I would still go to the mid week shoots because I enjoy the c raic. Maybe do some scoring instead of shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually shoot a comp every weekend. I often shoot twice and sometimes 3 times a week as well as the weekend comp. 

My scores of late have become quite inconsistent and I'm wondering if I'm doing (trying too hard) too much.  Is it worth just shooting from comp to comp? 

I would still go to the mid week shoots because I enjoy the otters. Maybe do some scoring instead of shooting.
Certainly take a break if you think it's getting too much. Trap shooting, being very score focussed, can easily become competitive. That sometimes encourages you to try too hard. Just a week or two off is usually enough to reset the mind. 

Remember, if you're shooting competitively, you must see your practice shooting as training rather than just an opportunity to throw some lead down the range. Perhaps take a week or two to work on the targets that niggle you. Try something different and see if it works. This can help break up the 'routine' and will see you return to competition stronger.

Above all, and I see this so often, don't overthink the sport. Clay shooting, whatever your discipline, is a fairly simple process. It doesn't do to obsess over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly take a break if you think it's getting too much. Trap shooting, being very score focussed, can easily become competitive. That sometimes encourages you to try too hard. Just a week or two off is usually enough to reset the mind. 

Remember, if you're shooting competitively, you must see your practice shooting as training rather than just an opportunity to throw some lead down the range. Perhaps take a week or two to work on the targets that niggle you. Try something different and see if it works. This can help break up the 'routine' and will see you return to competition stronger.

Above all, and I see this so often, don't overthink the sport. Clay shooting, whatever your discipline, is a fairly simple process. It doesn't do to obsess over it.
Thanks Jan, I take your point.  Instead of just practise lines maybe I'll go on a stand on my own, and try a couple of things I've been wondering about. 

Yes trap shooting is simple. Three targets, left, centre and right and you know the speed............what can possibly go wrong..............................................🥵

I have the exact opposite problem snice COVID restrictions I have found it very hard to get back into the groove. I normally would shoot 4 rounds every weekend plus competitions but this season I have shot less than ten rounds total since the beginning of February . I think a lot is down to knowing I can shoot the scores but because of lack of training they are not coming so I am just saying F'k... it too lazy!

I'm not shooting as  much these days  due mostly to cost !   and i can see my scores going down .    stats don't lie ,  I'm sticky on lead  and my confidence is poor !   I'm a very average esp shot at best ,  so need the training / practice    but its getting a tad expensive  !!  

I have the exact opposite problem snice COVID restrictions I have found it very hard to get back into the groove. I normally would shoot 4 rounds every weekend plus competitions but this season I have shot less than ten rounds total since the beginning of February . I think a lot is down to knowing I can shoot the scores but because of lack of training they are not coming so I am just saying F'k... it too lazy!
+1 on that.  And I find it difficult to  rationalize the cost to just drive out to the club to shoot a few rounds and BS a bit.  Really not a happy time in that regard for me at any rate.  OK, so I'm whining.

I would still go to the mid week shoots because I enjoy the c raic. Maybe do some scoring instead of shooting.
i cant shoot too much , not at the cost nowadays  !!!

2 skeet 2 DTL Wednesday same on Saturday comp on Sunday’s used   keep me in the money unfortunately that’s £100 now  a week with diesel and a drink and cartridges all to win £25 

clay shooting will follow golf and trout fishing and gradually decline.

Back