Open Day playthings

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Popped into Coleys Open Day, mostly to have a play with a CG Ascent, very nice looking gun which handled really well and was I felt most pleasant to shoot, now I’m a tall skinny ( based on average clay shooters dimensions ) chap who oft goes all barrel watching,  the raised comb & rib on this seemed to prevent that happening, or so I felt. A chum then suggested I try a Blaser Super Sport, to be fair he’s mentioned / suggested both guns to me previously, this gun was heavier coming in at around 9lbs but didn’t feel it ( my MK is sub 8lbs ) with 32” floating barrels ( I’ve been in 30” tubes for years ) with bright shiny chokes which again have previously caused me to draw eyes back to, didn’t happen with this F3 which has a more pronounced hi-rib. Now we all know new gun syndrome, it was no different with this F3 as  despite having tighter chokes than I’d liked ( 1/2 & 3/4 ) or would normally shoot sporting clays with one did shoot well enough to raise more than a smile. Now the dollar question is would I buy either? 

Was also at the open day. And I must say it probably the best place to go and get your hands on lots of different  guns in the same place and try away until have found the one. Not buying myself (dt11 is the one) but an enjoyable day. 

Richard you know my thoughts on this. If it makes you happy then buy it. You only grace this earth once. Its not a rehearsal .

Well your buddy Joe had a blazer vantage? And Zea has the ascent rib on Gertie.?  Wealth of info right there. As for which one . I'm afraid your on your own. Enjoy. 

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
High rib and sporting certainly don’t go hand in hand ! 

and seeing the barrel is a must. But if u can see chokes when u mount there is a serious gun fit issue 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the Ascent classed as raised or high? More the former I think, the F3 rib is bit high at breech but does taper down a lot? 

The Ascent rib is generally referred to as mid height - as is the Vantage. The Blaser Supersport which Joe had before the Vantage is a high rib. I tried Joe's SS and later on the Vantage and still prefer the standard flat rib F3. Same story with CGs; I bought a flat rib but only after trying the other variants.

There are a couple of locals we both know who bought Ascent versions and regretted it. TipTop may have an opinion too as he used to have an Ascent.

. I tried Joe's SS and later on the Vantage and still prefer the standard flat rib F3. Same story with CGs; I bought a flat rib but only after trying the other variants.
Tho to be fair Joe was pretty sh1t hot with his.

Jasper

The Ascent rib is generally referred to as mid height - as is the Vantage. The Blaser Supersport which Joe had before the Vantage is a high rib. I tried Joe's SS and later on the Vantage and still prefer the standard flat rib F3. Same story with CGs; I bought a flat rib but only after trying the other variants.

There are a couple of locals we both know who bought Ascent versions and regretted it. TipTop may have an opinion too as he used to have an Ascent.
I did indeed have the Invictus Ascent. It was ok if you required a gun to shoot with, with a head up position. Would I buy another high rib gun, probably not. If I were to buy another CG then it would be the Invictus Allsport, flat rib with the adjustable monte carlo stock.

Happy at the moment with my girlie 694 Beretta Vittoria. Being a short arse the short adjustable monte carlo stock suits me to the ground.

I did indeed have the Invictus Ascent. It was ok if you required a gun to shoot with, with a head up position. Would I buy another high rib gun, probably not. If I were to buy another CG then it would be the Invictus Allsport, flat rib with the adjustable monte carlo stock.

Happy at the moment with my girlie 694 Beretta Vittoria. Being a short arse the short adjustable monte carlo stock suits me to the ground.
Same here but a Summit, the new allsport stock is what loads of people were asking for when they brought the ascent out, flat rib Monte Carlo stock. Pity they left it so long and people have now moved on from CG 

Latest posts

Back