Squad size

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin

Irish governing body ictsa  is now running all registered sporting shoots 8 persons per squad. I'll be giving them a miss  as I think it's a long enough day with 6 per squad. 

Any opinions on this ? 

Irish governing body ictsa  is now running all registered sporting shoots 8 persons per squad. I'll be giving them a miss  as I think it's a long enough day with 6 per squad. 

Any opinions on this ? 
 6 is one too many I always feel. You shoot a stand first up, then watch 10 people (effectively) shoot before it’s your turn again. Sod 8, that’s daft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 6 is one too many I always feel. You shoot a stand first up, then watch 11 people (effectively) shoot before it’s your turn again. Sod 8, that’s daft. 
Couldn't agree more.  Won't be renewing membership if they don't knock this nonsense on the head 

What's the point? The gaps between squads will have to be lengthened to accommodate the extra time needed.

PM.
I don't see the point.  won't change how many shooters can be put through. 

Most shoots  are scored by the squad no ref's   so could be a case of bigger squad less chance of cheating.  The cheating argument dont hold up for the majority of shooters like myself  who are not really competing more a competition with ourselves and for fun.   Cheating is a problem and always will be.

Most reg 100 target ESP shoots are 12 stands so get the 6 man squads as everyone is “up first” twice, 8 is bonkers size, dont you chaps converse with your governing body?

Most reg 100 target ESP shoots are 12 stands so get the 6 man squads as everyone is “up first” twice, 8 is bonkers size, dont you chaps converse with your governing body?
Good point    unfortunately it seems to be make it up as you go 

If NO refs are used & the squad scores its self......how can it be run under the terms & rules of a registered shoot ??

Unless the ICTSA are NOT affiliated to the CPSA & have their own take on rules !!

If NO refs are used & the squad scores its self......how can it be run under the terms & rules of a registered shoot ??

Unless the ICTSA are NOT affiliated to the CPSA & have their own take on rules !!
The owner of Valley View view shoot years ago (non cpsa and self scored) had been overheard to say he didn’t care if the shoot was won with a pen or a gun.. One shoot there, I watched a young lad going round with his parents who were scoring for him. I watched him miss at least three on one stand and get given several “no birds” on another until he hit them all. No idea how his other ten stands went but he won the shoot and it’s £100 HG with 96 😀😖

Last edited by a moderator:

All down to costs.  Not the number of shooters that attend UK shoots to pass on the cost of ref's  is not possible without a substantial increase In fees.  Used to be called icpsa  and I assume affiliated to cpsa not sure why the name change maybe not affiliated anymore. 

The owner of Valley View view shoot years ago (non cpsa and self scored) had been overheard to say he didn’t care if the shoot was won with a pen or a gun.. One shoot there, I watched a young lad going round with his parents who were scoring for him. I watched him miss at least three on one stand and get given several “no birds” on another until he hit them all. No idea how his other ten stands went but he won the shoot and it’s £100 HG with 96 😀😖
I'm sure it happens a lot here and I'd say the 8man squad is ment as a deterrent.  But in saying that I'm squaded with different people every shoot and everyone has played by the rules.  There's no ideal solution but 8man squads is just ridiculous 

The ICTSA have not published this change on their website so it is hardly official policy. May be a Ground has tried it but a bit more detail would be good to get.

The CPSA is Not the governing body of Clay Shooting and the ICTSA operates within the rules and guidelines as laid out by the various International organisations such as ISSF and FITASC and the ICTSF of which the CPSA is also a member and an equal member at that.

In Ireland at all registered shoots the refereeing is done by fellow competitors. The example given of Valley View where the parents accompanied the shooter and reffed and marked his card could not happen in a competition run by the ICTSA so the comparison is totally wrong and unfair.

The issue with independent referees in Ireland is nothing other than the cost and it’s in being in order to keep entry fees as low as possible for the members. 

Latest posts

Back