WOW

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

Not entirely shooting related but it will have a huge impact on my attendance at shoots.

I received an email from my energy supplier, my fixed term is coming to an end in April, and the current options available are either,  at the minimum, a rise of 125% until October (when the price cap will undoubtedly rise again ). A fixed term, resulting in a rise of 275%, or if I want to be “green”, a fixed term with a 350% price rise.

This coupled with the astronomical rise in fuel costs will force me ,and I’m sure, many others to think twice about my shooting.

Yes it’s an incredible rise and with other energy sources doing similar it’s going to pinch quite a few wallets. I’m dreading filling my 2500litre heating oil tank soon. They can’t give a price or a delivery date atm.

Just had to change to another supplier due to my old one going bust. Gone up 250% and even with that they send me a email saying they have under estimated my electric cost and it needs to go up.It's not the usage that they under esimated that's the same, it the cost increase they've under estimated.

God knows with whats going on in Europe plus the 'lets screw the customers and blame everything else' what the cost will be come October

Never mind nice to know the MP's will get the payrise to offset most of it 🤬

I find it nonsensical that successive governments have allowed a vocal minority in the form of climate hysterics and various other tree huggers to influence energy policy to the point where, despite the glaring security and economic implications, we are reliant on imported gas. 🙄

Like America, we have enough untapped shale gas for generations and at least until some better cleaner form of energy becomes available. Maybe then we wouldn't be paying 14 times as much for wholesale gas as the USA.

I last filled my 3 oil tanks in November 2020 at 29p per l. It's going to hit hard at the next fill. Luckily I don't use that much with the woodburner going every day.

I last filled my 3 oil tanks in November 2020 at 29p per l. It's going to hit hard at the next fill. Luckily I don't use that much with the woodburner going every day.
£1.09 and rising, the rush to close coal fired and change to gas fired power stations in the UK just to meet C02 emissions, which is nonsensical as gas is just as bad when you add up the impact of getting it/using it all told, hasn't helped the equation.

Don’t worry, the odds are you won’t be shooting too much longer anyway. Cartridge prices are about to go stratospheric. There’s also a looming problem with clay supplies. I spoke to a ground owner today who can’t get his preferred targets as the ingredients required for their manufacture come from Russia. Doubtless other suppliers are having the same problem.

Several years ago I predicted the sport had 10-15 years left. Seems I may have been a little optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought they were moving away from coal tar pitch for clays anyway

But Brian, you know what they say?
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And

Always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of life

If life seems jolly rotten (hoo-hoo)
There's something you've forgotten (hoo-hoo)
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing (hoo-hoo-hoo)
When you're feeling in the dumps (hoo-hoo)
Don't be silly, chumps (hoo-hoo)
Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing (hoo-hoo)
And

Always look on the bright side of life
(Come on)
Always look on the right side of life

For life is quite absurd (hoo-hoo)
And death's the final word (hoo-hoo)
You must always face the curtain with a bow (hoo-hoo-hoo)
Forget about your sin (hoo-hoo)
Give the audience a grin (hoo-hoo)
Enjoy it, it's your last chance anyhow

Etc etc etc

They say we only import 3% on our gas. It seems mad to me that we pay the price set on the open market for all of it. 

Why not pay a rate that is in relation to production cost for the gas that comes from British production and top up with the more expensive stuff from abroad if we need it.  We Own it so why pay over the odds for the profit to go straight into the private companies and shareholders coffers,  which more likely than not are foreign. 

Perhaps that is too simple. All this money being taken out of normal peoples pockets is going somewhere. Taxing after the event won't fix it. 

Don’t worry, the odds are you won’t be shooting too much longer anyway. Cartridge prices are about to go stratospheric. There’s also a looming problem with clay supplies. I spoke to a ground owner today who can’t get his preferred targets as the ingredients required for their manufacture come from Russia. Doubtless other suppliers are having the same problem.

Several years ago I predicted the sport had 10-15 years left. Seems I may have been a little optimistic.
hull have just increased their cartridge prices I was told today.

Clays up around 2p each on a pallet load, but not yet noticed a supply problem.

I disagree, providing there are grounds still available to shoot at ,I am sure people will carry on. After all a few hours shooting with your mates is one of the better things in life. When all this bad stuff is going on ,you need a few hours of enjoyment to look forward to.

However, many will reduce their shooting, either by days going or amount of shots taken. This will put huge pressure on many grounds who will need a certain amount of basic  turnover. Many may close, but some will survive.

Finally here's a thought.  Could we see registered shoots of 50 birds becoming more common.

Finally here's a thought.  Could we see registered shoots of 50 birds becoming more common
35 + years ago 100 registered shoots were rare, 50 & 75 were the norm, 

Reckon most grounds would be able to put on a much better layout having less stands to squeeze in 

Already suggested 75 target reg shoots some weeks ago.  Was shot down saying overheads were still the same regardless how many targets you shoot ?? And I wouldn't save much. The price per clay must include overheads. No?

So if I shoots 100 targets at 40p. =£40. Therefore 75 targets at 40p is £30 . Correct ????😆 .  saved a  tenner.

I will be out of this game soon. I own dt11 which I love .

But this was purchased with "extra" money as a present to myself and as such does not reflect my monthly income. Which by the way doesn't  seem to rise much. 🤔 

Jasper. 

Not quite true , the cost of the clays shot is the variable , the rest of the costs are fixed , ( although you could argue if you had less stands you need less refs )  so if shoot 75 the ground is only saving the cost of 25 clays , which is all they would want to pass on so you might save  £3 or £4 quid . 

Back