Loud or soft??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robden

When shooting trap (no matter what you say or grunt), does the loudness of the call affect the speed of the release? 

I've been told to shout louder as it will result in a better release.  They weren't meaning agression, to focus the mind.

TIA.

When shooting trap (no matter what you say or grunt), does the loudness of the call affect the speed of the release? 

I've been told to shout louder as it will result in a better release.  They weren't meaning agression, to focus the mind.

TIA.
The loudness of the call doesn’t make any difference in terms of the speed of target release, the microphone will either pick it up or it won’t. If you’re having to raise your voice it’s probably because the microphone sensitivity has been turned down. Ground owners do this on windy days as the breeze across the microphones activates the trap.

When it comes to call, a couple of things may help. Firstly, make sure whatever call you use it’s a concise noise. A drawn out call that perhaps begins quietly and gets louder doesn’t promote consistency. Secondly, mount the gun with the mouth slightly open and use a call that avoids moving the lower jaw as much as possible. Something similar to an ‘urghh’ is best. Too often, when I’m coaching with the ShotKam I see muzzles dipping a noticeable amount when the target’s called for. This is usually down to the shooter opening and closing their mouth when they call for the target.

Ultimately, you’ll find your own call that ensures an instant target release and gun steadiness. Although some do call loudly, and shoot we’ll doing it, there’s no particular advantage in doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jan, exactly my thinking, but this "know all" reckons that the louder the shout, the quicker the release. 

I think it was his attempt at some gamesmanship...........didn't work though. 

The loudness of the call doesn’t make any difference in terms of the speed of target release, the microphone will either pick it up or it won’t. If you’re having to raise your voice it’s probably because the microphone sensitivity has been turned down. Ground owners do this on windy days as the breeze across the microphones activates the trap.

When it comes to call, a couple of things may help. Firstly, make sure whatever call you use it’s a concise noise. A drawn out call that perhaps begins quietly and gets louder doesn’t promote consistency. Secondly, mount the gun with the mouth slightly open and use a call that avoids moving the lower jaw as much as possible. Something similar to an ‘urghh’ is best. Too often, when I’m coaching with the ShotKam I see muzzles dipping a noticeable amount when the target’s called for. This is usually down to the shooter opening and closing their mouth when they call for the target.

Ultimately, you’ll find your own call that ensures an instant target release and gun steadiness. Although some do call loudly, and shoot we’ll doing it, there’s no particularly advantage in doing so.
I'd never have thought about that, just moving your lower jaw can affect the mount.

Just shows that every day is a school day 👍

I'd never have thought about that, just moving your lower jaw can affect the mount.
It can cause the muzzles to dip a little. That’s not helpful when you’re shooting a rising target. The golden rule for DTL, and all trap shooting, is to ensure a steady gun, steady eyes and a clear mind at the time the target’s called for. Sometimes easier said than done but master this and you’ll almost shoot the targets in slow motion.

Takes me back a bit, some 30 years ago I was struggling a bit with my DTL and ABT scores taking a dip. I went to see Joe Neville who diagnosed gun movement before the target appeared. I was not convinced that he was right. He had me shoot a few more targets and then on my call, he never pressed the button. Guess what my barrels were doing  ?? Yep they were moving upwards.  Point taken  !

I have always been of the opinion that the manner in which one calls for the target effects the way you shoot it. For instance, an aggresive call equals an aggresive shot, a calm call equals a calm shot. As for the jaw effecting the actual gun mount / position etc etc I have never personally witnessed this phenomenon.

Alexi Alipov is the man for a moving gun... amazing shooter... don't think he does DTL though 😂

I have always been of the opinion that the manner in which one calls for the target effects the way you shoot it. For instance, an aggresive call equals an aggresive shot, a calm call equals a calm shot. As for the jaw effecting the actual gun mount / position etc etc I have never personally witnessed this phenomenon.

Guy down here uses a refs whistle to call the target😂

Thanks Jan, exactly my thinking, but this "know all" reckons that the louder the shout, the quicker the release. 
And the little known fact that the harder the trigger is pulled the faster the shot gets to the target.

Your coach prolly never told you THAT either, eh?

Back