Stock Re-Fininshing

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM1050

I have a 682 Gold E X Trap and the Sock could benefit from a bit of a refresh any suggestions for someone to task with the job that wont break the bank?

JWS in the midlands. Never been there but I’ve sent stuff by post and always great. See his Facebook page. 

That is gorgeous 😍. Is that an oil finish? When I'm making a knife handle from certain woods with open grain I'll sand it wet to slurry up the pores and fill it.

I've never come close to such a glass like finish and on so much real estate as well! That must take HOURS. 

How practical will a finish like that be? Is it just for safe queen's?

That is gorgeous 😍. Is that an oil finish? When I'm making a knife handle from certain woods with open grain I'll sand it wet to slurry up the pores and fill it.

I've never come close to such a glass like finish and on so much real estate as well! That must take HOURS. 

How practical will a finish like that be? Is it just for safe queen's?
No, my Perazzi looks like that. He does it all day long, if that’s what you want. That’s a best London finish I think, but he offers all sorts. See the pictures on his FB page. 

From the looks of it I’d say it’s a finish with a hardener, given the “glass effect”. Possibly Tru-Oil, which is one of the easier ways of achieving a finish like that (but still not actually easy to do it quite right). Days and even weeks are more likely than hours, unless its your day job. 

As Tru-Oil is a hardening finish, I think that would work well on a knife handle @Scotty . Just build up layer after layer with the tiniest amount every time, and let er very layer actually dry. Using less and less really cuts on the drying time, but practically everyone uses way too much on the first few tries. There’s a few video’s on YouTube from guys using Tru-Oil to finish hand built guitars which are of better quality than the few where people slather the stuff on gunstocks and call it a day.  

For a knife handle it will be a very slick surface. That’s something to keep in mind. Also the tru-oil will will fill serrations and diamond patterns alike. I put painters tape over the filing / checkering when I refinish a stock and only sometimes end by the thinnest finish over the checkering with an old soft toothbrush (for esthetic,, not practical effect).

Tru-Oil isn’t expensive, just give it a go. If you get stuck just sand it off and start anew or send it off 😄 

Trouble with a gloss finish like that it will show any blemish, just catching it with you skeet vest zip/slip zip, never mind bits of falling clay and it will stick out like a sore thumb

Very very nice to look at but I'd be worried sick everytime I took it out of the gun safe 😄

Back