ABT - Without having to ref for yourselves.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesy

Ever thought of trying out ABT but have been out off because you have to referee? Come to the East Midlands ABT Regional Championship at Nottingham & District Gun Club on Sunday 4th March, the ground will provide the referees so all you have to do is shoot. Entries are 9.30am - 10.30 am, call to book on 01623 883798 Hope to see some of you. Julia :)

That is a great idea!I often have thought maybe I will go and have a go but squad members have to stay on and score and ref! Same as what i can remember of UT and OT. last thing I ever wanted to do was worry about that stuff as well, dont know what others think but I believe it is better for newcomers, as that can be quite scary! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

Spread the word guys, we want to attract as many new shooters to the discipline as possible. The CPSA has given the East Midlands Region permission to provide refs at its 2 championships to see if it effects entries. We are running it as a trial and if successful there will be a strong case to reconsider the self refereeing. If you are new to the discipline it is very daunting to make refereeing decisions and after a tough round of ABT you really do need a coffee and a break. We hope the current ABT shooters are not put off and really hope that it will encourage more people to try it out.  Fingers crossed /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

It's not as scary as it looks – the most experienced of the 3 judges referees everytime, the other two just keep score. This gives two versions of the score card and the referee who shoots might just know the rules. There is an hierarchy of experience which decides who the referee is.How about providing two scorers and the most senior shooter referees, that way the unclassified shooter never has to stand. The referee you see checks the visual scoreboard target by target and arbitrages any disputes about no birds and kills with the other two.I did jump to the conclusion there that you were providing one referee and not three. If you're providing 3 referees and the visual scoreboard, I'm all for it - count me in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not have the one ref like they said?.No brainer/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif

40UP said:

It's not as scary as it looks – the most experienced of the 3 judges referees everytime, the other two just keep score. This gives two versions of the score card and the referee who shoots might just know the rules. There is an hierarchy of experience which decides who the referee is.How about providing two scorers and the most senior shooter referees, that way the unclassified shooter never has to stand. The referee you see checks the visual scoreboard target by target and arbitrages any disputes about no birds and kills with the other two.I did jump to the conclusion there that you were providing one referee and not three. If you're providing 3 referees and the visual scoreboard, I'm all for it - count me in.

I might not have understood this post............being a trappy!!But it is not up to the Cpsa.A ground does not have to go cap in hand and ask for permission. Any ground can choose to provide refs for its trap events (take Southern Counties) for example they always do.........you do not have to seek approval. That said it would be a great idea for more grounds to do that because it pleases the punter for many reasons.......Being a coward .......when ever I have to score I run for the abacus..........there is no way in hell that I go for the buzzer (I cannot trust myself not to be on skeet mode and buzz when some one shouts pull! - even though I have not shot a skeet comp for years). :) :)Obviously if the ground does not provide refs then you have to score in teams of 3.But at the end of it all it is just a game :))) so 'man up' and get on with it. :) :)

Yeah you would be use to using that Nicola!!! In my days we had calculators!!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gifUsing that thing and pressing a button when someone misses is a disaster waiting to happen for us mere mortals!! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif (Sporting Shooters) I remember a double trap event when dad pressed the old buzzer when somebody called for the target!!! He was frowned upon like he had just ruined somebodies whole day!!!! Trap shooters!!! They can be a funny breed! ;-)/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif

It took me by surprise at my first ABT shoot last year, when I had to man the beeper. I automatically assumed they'd be a ref and scorer. How wrong I was! (shouldn't this be in the trap section?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these trap events CPSA registered? if they are can anyone tell me why shooters have to ref and score when in sporting all registered events are supposed to be scored by qualified referees or has this rule been changed the same as non CPSA members being able to shoot registered events?

Miroku Sport, what rule book? Didn't think it existed anymore as it aint enforced a lot is it! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

I know what you mean Glen but it is one of the reasons that no Kent ground will register for sporting shoots when they go to register the ground the CPSA send round someone to inspect the ground and lay down the law as to what they can and cant do this is at grounds that have been running successful sporting shoots for many years and the ground owners say if they have to use qualified refs it is not financially viable dont see why there should be one rule regarding referees for sporting and not for other disciplines

Sorry Miroku that is just not correct..........unless it started after I left the Cpsa Board. Grounds have to have certain standards in order to be affiliated, registered, premier or premier plus etc....... And they have to operate the disciplines rules correctly ..........but in no way are they bossed about by Cpsa.......because they have no control over the grounds which are all private businesses. Ground inspections and 'expected' standards are for 'you' and other shooters, that is all.

Nicola i am sorry i have upset you the ground owners i have spoken to about holding registered events in Kent must have been lying then obviously there is no reason why Kent grounds will not register they are queing up to join the CPSA. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif

Ha ha ha you have not upset me so don't worry. See my last post. :) It is quite clear.

Miroku Sport said:

Nicola i am sorry i have upset you the ground owners i have spoken to about holding registered events in Kent must have been lying then obviously there is no reason why Kent grounds will not register they are queing up to join the CPSA. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif
As ever these things tend to revolve around cost and I bet this is the case here. Insurance cover maybe? It is a requirement from the CPSA.

It would help us understand if you could expand on what you are claiming Miroku. Kent has 13 grounds who are at the moment connected with Cpsa. Out of those.......... 1 is an Associate and 7 are Affiliated only (therefore cannot run registered competitions anyway)3 are registered - Invicta, Kent Gun Club, kings ferry (and out of those three one is only a Helice ground but it does run reg comps)1 is a Premier ground - Dartford1 is a Premier Plus (but is not open at weekends). West Kent.These 5 grounds have already got their 'status' and are free to run registered's if they wanted to or if they could do!So from the above info I am not quite sure 'who' these other ground owners are?Cpsa only normally visit grounds when they first apply to be in The Cpsa system........or if they want to go up into a different category.......or if there has been any complaints.

Julesy said:

Ever thought of trying out ABT but have been out off because you have to referee? Come to the East Midlands ABT Regional Championship at Nottingham & District Gun Club on Sunday 4th March, the ground will provide the referees so all you have to do is shoot. Entries are 9.30am - 10.30 am, call to book on 01623 883798 Hope to see some of you. Julia :)  Sorry if I'm ignorant here but what does that mean??????????

Latest posts

Back