How much is too much ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deershooter

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the price of shooting ? 

How much are you willing to pay per clay / round and are cartridges a fair price ?

£40 per 100 birds

£10 in fuel 

£10 food and drink 

£30 in cartridges 

add a round of sport trap/ skeet/DTL And it’s a £100 pound day out ,what’s peoples view ? 

I started shooting about 20 years ago and did it for 2 years. I then moved abroad, I have since moved back and started shooting again, and am really enjoying it and try not to look at the cost compared with 20 years ago!!

But you’re right it’s about £100 all in for about an hour or two of fun. When I play golf I’m there for 4-5 hrs (including the 19th hole(beer), and it costs all in about £30. 

When  I go mountain biking it costs me nothing.

When I drive my garage queen sports car, it’s amazing fun, but only costs fuel. And a little maintenance cost.

so conclusion is shooting is the most expensive hobby I have-but still enjoy it!

No doubt its getting expensive but shoots are as busy as ever. Smaller non reg shooting grounds local to us are seeing increased footfall because of the prices at the bigger grounds. Yet registered comps are still very busy at the bigger grounds. I do a mix of both, shoot the cheaper local grounds quite a bit and then do the odd registered and the major comps and championships, its all about finding the right balance to suit you budget. Clay shooting certainly doesn't seem to be declining from it yet anyway.

The other outgoings cost of living/energy etc haven't really sunk in as yet. Yes everything is going up but now, but we have another big hit coming shortly

We may see a decline March time and onwards when they hit home and people start to decide what really counts in their life.

I've already cut back due to the cartridge rises and we just have to see later on.As the OP list, when you start to add it all up it gets a bit eye watering

As said, registered shoots in the south are still rammed everywhere I go, so the assumption is that the clientele generally aren’t yet being stretched too far. Price rises are always annoying if you’ve experienced the old prices as that’s your reference point. I would guess very few will actually stop shooting due to 2022 costs. Me and a mate three houses away alternate who drives and that saves each of us about £1500 per year!

I don't think about it on an item by item basis. When the car needs fuel I fill it up and when I'm getting low on shells I stock up again. I don't buy food at shoots so it's usually just £37 birds only and a couple of cups of tea. The other expenses just disappear in the overall cost of living.

Shooting has always been an expensive game and the less I think about what it really costs the happier I am. 😉

We have gone through the lock-down phase and I expect shooting was picked up (increased) by those with money to hand from their lack of holidays.

It also has the advantage of costs being incurred on the day and not if you don't go - Not like golf, gyms etc. where you pay a months membership. It's also not that expensive to get setup - Ok, its not cheap, but it can be done on a budget.

As things get tighter and the holiday abroad becomes an option again I expect demand will drop. I also expect quite a few will simply shoot less during 2022 particularly as the other costs of living start to rise.

There's no doubt rising costs are a problem. As others have said, it's not yet reflected in falling entries but given the clubhouse chatter it's certainly beginning to bite. What's particularly concerning is that prices are on an upward trajectory with no sign of levelling off in 2022. I was speaking to a someone in the know last weekend who told me competition cartridges will likely break the £400/1000 mark before the year's out. Add to this rising entry fees and fuel prices and things don't look good.

I can see a growing number of competitors cutting down on the big ticket events. They'll either stick to shoots closer to home or shoot non-competitively. I priced up a 3 day UK competition in the summer and found I don't get much change from £1000! That's just not sustainable.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of grounds  local to me are now 40 p per clay , button  yourself , the days of registered is over there is nothing to win in the classes ,local clubs are where my money is going £15 for 50 birds 
Same here I'll stick to local shoots and enjoy them with the the others I go with. Yes I'd like to get better but not for competition, did enough of that with Target shooting.

Was going the CPSA route, but have insurance that covers me from target shooting so didn't bother

I’m in the same area as Deerhunter and 40p a bird for practice has not gone down well with the local shooting community to say the least resulting in a downturn in practice customers for the ground involved.

People try and find a way to pursue the sport they love by:-

Not going so often.

Not shooting so many targets when they do go.

Using cheaper cartridges (although still expensive enough)

Not eating at the ground.

All very negative stuff and can’t be good for the viability of the ground.

The vast majority of competition shooters seem to find a way and entries at English sporting and Fitasc still seem to be good.

As mentioned the local small self run clubs are doing very well with shooters turning to them due to the increased costs at the large commercial grounds.

Things are different down south where there is plenty of money but further north it’s a different matter.

I can see many shooters staying with the small clubs and those who like competitions maybe being a bit more choosy on where they go depending on value given and maybe shooting less regular registered shoots and treat themselves to a few major competitions.

I can see many shooters staying with the small clubs and those who like competitions maybe being a bit more choosy on where they go depending on value given and maybe shooting less regular registered shoots and treat themselves to a few major competitions.
That's exactly what I have decided to do this year, I'm shooting four of the majors and  practice on pool shoots at my local club 

mmmm good comments  in relation to deershooters post !    i don't practice / train as much  , using cheaper shells when possible , only shoot competitions  occasionally , don't buy food or drinks at grounds , pretty depressing really  considering we all love our clay shooting !!    cpsa membership ?    where do we draw the line at trying to make our sport cheaper /affordable  ?   the only outcome is less consistency  score wise  and less enjoyment overall !!    will it eventually impact on some grounds ?   

I just don’t understand the reason behind putting up the price and opening less ! You can’t make money when your closed !
I have been housebound for two years and now almost fixed up and soon to be back shooting but now due to price and availability the smaller clubs can have my money . It’s not the way I want to go but I’m forced by the increasing costs of every day living .

I’ve only recently returned to shooting after a lay off but I’ve noticed things are more expensive. However my new partner is a keen shot and I like shooting with her. Thankfully my mortgage is only tiny so I have some disposable income but we will probably only shoot every 6 weeks or so. 

I was shooting 3 times a week plus a comp at the weekend.

Now it's twice a week plus a comp.

To be honest for us hedge monkeys, shooting registered is in some ways better value than practice at 40p/clay. The cost is near enough the same but the show birds are included, you get refs to keep score and push the buttons and usually you don't have to use fibre wad shells.

The Sunday straw balers are cheaper but in this neck of the woods the targets aren't up to much as they're catering for people who lose interest if the targets are testing.

Latest posts

Back