Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful sunny day at Grange Farm esp for us. Bit too sunny in places.Ā šŸ˜‰.Ā  Still rather chilly though.Ā  Glad I didn't stay couped up in the house.

Happy with how I shot.

Not happy with chip out of forend from close decoy targets.Ā  Broken clay coming in cage.Ā šŸ¤«šŸ˜’.Ā šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Jasper.Ā 

Gorgeous early afternoon at the 100 bird open at local ground, Willow Farm.Ā  My gun is off being serviced, so the semi-auto came out of the back of the cabinet for the fifth time I've ever shot it.Ā  Had some decent stands with it, but shot some shockers as well.Ā  Took me until three stands from finishing to realise that I'm missing underneath targets that are coming in / going away - need to raise the comb a little to make it shoot a bit more like my usual gun I think.Ā  I'm used to seeing distant high incomers break when they are above my bead, today I had to blot them out with the barrel.

Ā  Barrow for us yesterday. We shot the Christmas shoot and it was so busy so we decided to go squadded this week. Ā Booked in for 10.30 and it still took us well over 3 hours to shoot. 200+ shooters. They had a break down at start of day and never seemed to recover, at one stand there was 4 squads waiting to shoot so other squads just jumped onto other stands then at 11 non squadded shooters came down and it was a free for all. Ā Some stands were quite affected by the sun and it was a tricky shoot I thought, a fair few sim pairs but stand 12 was a sim pair of a midi r-l rising (looked like a 1/4 ing teal sideways on) that was like a rocket with a blaze incoming looper which was fairly low by the time you shot shot at it and I saw quite a few people never even get their second shot off with a few ā€œolderā€ people moaning it wasnā€™t fair and that we are not all teenagers with quick reactions. Ā Only had 1 ā€œbadā€ stand 3/8, 3 straights, a 9/10 and was happy enough to have won ladies even though I thought a few more should have been had.Ā 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ā  Barrow for us yesterday. We shot the Christmas shoot and it was so busy so we decided to go squadded this week. Ā Booked in for 10.30 and it still took us well over 3 hours to shoot. 200+ shooters. They had a break down at start of day and never seemed to recover, at one stand there was 4 squads waiting to shoot so other squads just jumped onto other stands then at 11 non squadded shooters came down and it was a free for all. Ā Some stands were quite affected by the sun and it was a tricky shoot I thought, a fair few sim pairs but stand 12 was a sim pair of a midi r-l rising (looked like a 1/4 ing teal sideways on) that was like a rocket with a blaze incoming looper which was fairly low by the time you shot shot at it and I saw quite a few people never even get their second shot off with a few ā€œolderā€ people moaning it wasnā€™t fair and that we are not all teenagers with quick reactions. Ā Only had 1 ā€œbadā€ stand 3/8, 3 straights, a 9/10 and was happy enough to have won ladies even though I thought a few more should have been had.Ā 
I shot Barrow also (squadded slightly earlier), it did take longer than usual and appeared busier, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge with a few stands harder than normal (its rarely easy) and I saw a couple of top shooters miss a fair few. To my surprise I straighted stand 12 (and I never saw anybody in the squad before or ours get close to that), stands 11 and 12 were the only 2 I straighted though (and I am no spring chicken) scored slightly below my average.

I shot Barrow also (squadded slightly earlier), it did take longer than usual and appeared busier, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge with a few stands harder than normal (its rarely easy) and I saw a couple of top shooters miss a fair few. To my surprise I straighted stand 12 (and I never saw anybody in the squad before or ours get close to that), stands 11 and 12 were the only 2 I straighted though (and I am no spring chicken) scored slightly below my average.
I think it was busier as Redricks got cancelled at last minute. I shot above my average so was happy with that. I shot a 6/10 onĀ Ā stand 12, someone else in squad shot an 8 but everyone else had a 3 and also, I never saw anyone shoot that stand well. Ā It was one of those stands Iā€™d like to go back to and shoot the midi at least 50 times until I got it in my head on how to approach it! Ā One guy in our squad said he gave it about 6 ft but although I hit it twice Iā€™m not sure how I done it!

I think it was busier as Redricks got cancelled at last minute. I shot above my average so was happy with that. I shot a 6/10 onĀ Ā stand 12, someone else in squad shot an 8 but everyone else had a 3 and also, I never saw anyone shoot that stand well. Ā It was one of those stands Iā€™d like to go back to and shoot the midi at least 50 times until I got it in my head on how to approach it! Ā One guy in our squad said he gave it about 6 ft but although I hit it twice Iā€™m not sure how I done it!
I shot it very quickly, gun hold very near the kill point, watched the clay and shot it instinctively chopping up in front of its path if that makes sense, it also gave me a fair amount of time to kill the second bird comfortably, felt like maybe the best pair I had ever straighted and one of the 5 pair stands aswell, made my round thats for sure

I shot Barrow also (squadded slightly earlier), it did take longer than usual and appeared busier, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge with a few stands harder than normal (its rarely easy) and I saw a couple of top shooters miss a fair few. To my surprise I straighted stand 12 (and I never saw anybody in the squad before or ours get close to that), stands 11 and 12 were the only 2 I straighted though (and I am no spring chicken) scored slightly below myĀ 

I shot it very quickly, gun hold very near the kill point, watched the clay and shot it instinctively chopping up in front of its path if that makes sense, it also gave me a fair amount of time to kill the second bird comfortably, felt like maybe the best pair I had ever straighted and one of the 5 pair stands aswell, made my round thats for sure
We were discussing it this morning and I was thinking could you have shot it the other way round? The incoming looper fairly quickly then at least you would guarantee yourself šŸ¤ž a 5 Ā but we never saw anyone do that.

I did think about it at the time, felt you were at least guaranteed a 5, I did see somebody try it a couple of times but the other bird was right over the trees by the time you could shoot it, you may have got a lucky one but difficult

Gunsite for us yesterday, bright to start but cold and when the cloud came it got colder. Ā Already psychologically geared myself up for a long day as it was very well attended. Ā As always Shaun provided a good mix of targets, Ā Overall I did okay for the way I am Shooting at the moment with a few bad stands. Ā It makes me laugh the ones I got wrong. Ā There was a teal set quite far out which I knew I would struggle with and missed all four, the battue paired with it I did without hesitation. Ā Stand one a going away from the right I got once but the sim pair of midis near the bottom I did well on. Ā Ā 

Hornet (College Farm) yesterday in the mist. Was a good mixed shoot with one of the trickiest stands to start with. Having cocked that up I was a bit flustered and did similar on stand 2, so had to dig in a bit, now 6 away. Another nasty stand later caught me out too, but managed an 87 by being OK elsewhere. Realised I was going in front a lot lately and noted this for next time.

Next time was Barbury today. A lovely sunny day with no wind that felt much warmer than it could have. They definitely arenā€™t trying to put people off with a tough course these days, but the variety was good and there were two or three stands to sort the winners out for sure, including a horrible long teal that headed to the right. Managed to hit that twice which I was happy enough with. A long battue also featured and caught a few out, including me twice. Finished on 94 which was 1 behind HG when I left at 2pm. This ended a very off form period, so nice to get a good score up after some time..

Barbury for us too, itā€™s a ground I never shoot well for some reason but went in determined to have a real go and shot a huge PB of 88 beating my previous by 9. Ā I was pleased to hit 3 of the teal and all of the long battues and straightened the grouse butt stand 4. Ā Missed a few I shouldnā€™t have but thatā€™s life and I can live with that. Ā 1st in ladies and C class so a happy bunny! Like Will said, it wasnā€™t the hardest shoot ever shot but there were a fair few stands that needed a bit of lead and concentration on.Ā 

Barbury for us too, itā€™s a ground I never shoot well for some reason but went in determined to have a real go and shot a huge PB of 88 beating my previous by 6. Ā I was pleased to hit 3 of the teal and all of the long battues and straightened the grouse butt stand 4. Ā Missed a few I shouldnā€™t have but thatā€™s life and I can live with that. Ā 1st in ladies and C class so a happy bunny! Like Will said, it wasnā€™t the hardest shoot ever shot but there were a fair few stands that needed a bit of lead and concentration on.Ā 
Amazing Donna. Great job on the tougher stuff and congratulations.Ā 

Another at Barbury, had a day to forget, did find the aforementioned teal and the long battue only to find lots to struggle with. Followed Nick Portlock whose 97 too HG, two in our squad shot it with 20bores, very well too, how inadequate they made me feel

Another at Barbury, had a day to forget, did find the aforementioned teal and the long battue only to find lots to struggle with. Followed Nick Portlock whose 97 too HG, two in our squad shot it with 20bores, very well too, how inadequate they made me feel
Shoot with me, Iā€™ll make you feel betteršŸ˜‚

Westfield reg shoot this morning

Just joined cpsa this week so my first proper reg shoot.Ā 

Great ground,great targets and the weather was decent for this time of year.Ā 

Few stands caused me problems and killed my score. Overall really enjoyed the shootĀ 

Westfield also. It was OK.

I wasn't. Didn't get going and didn't enjoy myself . Poor effort. Ah well. On to the next.Ā 

Jasper.Ā 

Back