New year blues

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynno

2022 is well and truly with us now, and like other contributors I’m not feeling the love for shooting at the moment.  It’s not one thing ,but a combination of things/events.

January and February are two of the most miserable depressing months of the year, it’s cold, wet either through rain or snow and dark/gloomy during the daytime. All of these factors mean that to stay warm and dry you have to wear multiple layers of clothing (unless you’re a masochist and relish frostbite ) that alters your gun mount to the point that you need arms a couple of inches longer just to keep some form of consistency, and it’s no fun anymore when your hands are cold and the rain has finally found that one place to trickle down your neck.

All this coupled with the fact that many costs are going through the roof, cartridges, entry fees, fuel, and Covid which has decimated the land, I’ve decided to take a short break from shooting. No doubt some will say, keep shooting, but there does come a time and an age when you/I would rather be in the warm and dry reading the paper whilst having a coffee.

I will be back soon when it’s brighter, drier and warmer, and for you dedicated FITASC shooters, you’ll be pleased to know I’ve put my name down to ref the 4 BICTSF shoots 🤣🤣🤣

I've sent my main gun off to be serviced because I'm much less likely to suffer from FOMO about the various registered comps going on in January than I am at any other time of year.  If we get some mild weekend days I'll go have a play with my semi-auto at the local club ground and give the Reg comps a miss.  Depending upon when my gun gets back and the weather, I might restart the Reg comps in February, but more likely March. Didn't enjoy paddling through mud trying not to fall on my arse at the last one I did, so I'll probably be avoiding places where that's likely a bit longer.

2022 is well and truly with us now, and like other contributors I’m not feeling the love for shooting at the moment.  It’s not one thing ,but a combination of things/events.

January and February are two of the most miserable depressing months of the year, it’s cold, wet either through rain or snow and dark/gloomy during the daytime. All of these factors mean that to stay warm and dry you have to wear multiple layers of clothing (unless you’re a masochist and relish frostbite ) that alters your gun mount to the point that you need arms a couple of inches longer just to keep some form of consistency, and it’s no fun anymore when your hands are cold and the rain has finally found that one place to trickle down your neck.

All this coupled with the fact that many costs are going through the roof, cartridges, entry fees, fuel, and Covid which has decimated the land, I’ve decided to take a short break from shooting. No doubt some will say, keep shooting, but there does come a time and an age when you/I would rather be in the warm and dry reading the paper whilst having a coffee.

I will be back soon when it’s brighter, drier and warmer, and for you dedicated FITASC shooters, you’ll be pleased to know I’ve put my name down to ref the 4 BICTSF shoots 🤣🤣🤣
my sentiments exactly         weather  and the spiralling costs  of everything associated with shooting  , I'm beginning to think about calling it a day , better things to spend my pension on  !!   🙈  

my sentiments exactly         weather  and the spiralling costs  of everything associated with shooting  , I'm beginning to think about calling it a day , better things to spend my pension on  !!   🙈  
I have thought about calling it a day also, but and it’s a huge but I’d miss all the fluffy rabbits and the laughs that go’s hand in hand with shooting 

Always take a break this time of year. The competition seasons ends in October then it’s pretty much gun away until February when training begins once again to (hopefully) hit the ground running in March. 

Years ago I shot through the winter but it’s not usually conducive to good scores or a decent performance. I may shoot the odd NSSA skeet though if it’s a decent day and there’s nothing else to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are shooting a comp this Sunday then hoping to put our guns in for a service too, then when we get them back will “train/practice” before going back straight into comps again. We done that last year and both felt it made a huge difference. Only family illness/deaths etc towards end of year made me falter a bit and I had really wanted to go up a class but failed by 1% 😯 Phil on the other hand did go up a class! 
When we shot Barrow after Christmas it was drizzly, cold, wet and loads of people there so although a good shoot towards the end we got really cold and miserable. Makes you realise it’s not fun in those conditions.  I’ll leave that to the younger ones!!

I think the winter certainly requires a bit more thought about where you shoot and in what weather. Some old-school grounds would have been a bit grim today. I did EJC registered ESP this morning. It was 0 degrees, but I’ve worked out good clothing I can shoot in so stayed warm enough. It was a blessing there was no wind as that would have been like a knife. Being EJC, it was completely clean underfoot so very pleasant to walk the course and a warm clubhouse provided good quality coffee and a decent loo. As a winter experience goes it was as good as you could hope really. Good course too. 

I did EJC registered ESP this morning. It was 0 degrees, but I’ve worked out good clothing I can shoot in so stayed warm enough. It was a blessing there was no wind as that would have been like a knife. Being EJC, it was completely clean underfoot so very pleasant to walk the course and a warm clubhouse provided good quality coffee and a decent loo. As a winter experience goes it was as good as you could hope really. Good course too. 
Will you be quiet, I'm trying to suppress my fear of missing out and you aren't helping!

I had really wanted to go up a class but failed by 1% 😯 Phil on the other hand did go up a class! 
Well done Phil.  Commiserations Donna, but I beat you - missed going up by 0.63%.  I was within 0.3% at one point, but dropped a little bit towards the end of the cut-off period.  I really struggle with being consistent - it's all mental I think, as it's often relatively straightforward stands that I'll screw up.

I don't want to have the winter blues.  I had my third or fourth proper coaching session with Ed Solomons in December and it really feels like its been the most fruitful yet.  Things started to click into place.  I also really enjoy my shooting group of three other lads who are great fun.  We have all just rejoined/joined the CPSA with a plan to getting to more reg shoots. 

But man alive......its a grim sport in January when the rain is coming in sideways. 

No doubt some will say, keep shooting, but there does come a time and an age when you/I would rather be in the warm and dry reading the paper 
10 years ago I’d have been stood in the river in January , fly fishing for Grayling. Today I’d rather nail my foot to the floor . 
Me and my buddy were going to Park Lodge today , the car dash showed 1c as the outside temperature. We consulted , we diverted to a nice little Italian trattoria in Wakefield , had a two hour lunch and saved about fifty quid each 😂

Well it could have gone either way. But now I'm back at work🙄, I'm looking forward to shooting again this weekend. 

Don't know if Boris will U turn and whack us in lockdown again  , so I'm going  to make the most of it.

The carp weather keeps most of the dumbasses inside too.  Which suits me fine. 🤔

Jasper. 

I will be back soon when it’s brighter, drier and warmer, and for you dedicated FITASC shooters, you’ll be pleased to know I’ve put my name down to ref the 4 BICTSF shoots 🤣🤣🤣

Have they put the fixtures out then for the 4 shoots there's nothing on the BICTSF site ? Let the cat out the bag then where are they going to be held   :read:  if your allowed to say that is ? 

I shall be out tomorrow, at our local club shoot. The forecast is for a sunny day, with the temperature a balmy 0 to -2 . 🤣

Steve.

10 years ago I’d have been stood in the river in January , fly fishing for Grayling. Today I’d rather nail my foot to the floor . 
Me and my buddy were going to Park Lodge today , the car dash showed 1c as the outside temperature. We consulted , we diverted to a nice little Italian trattoria in Wakefield , had a two hour lunch and saved about fifty quid each 😂
Yep, been there and done that too!!  Fly fishing in Argentina in the freezing water, waded out too far and went under, nearly froze my bits off, then a few years ago went to Long Island to fly fish for striped bass and it was soooo cold and windy but once your out on a boat that’s it, even with no shelter, there’s no coming in (unless you want everyone to know you’re a wuss). At least with shooting you can call it a day at any time, hand your card in and go home!! 

EXCELLENT !  I like the way you think !

No point in doing it if you aren't enjoying it.

Ive carried on at the moment as I've been doing fairly well but am having Feb and March off; gun needs servicing, I've done a lot of shooting since May and need a mental break, plus it's my works year end which is usually pretty intense.

Had breaks before for this reason and after a couple of practice days to get timing back I usually pick it back up quite quickly.

I’m just getting back into shooting despite the cold weather. I don’t suffer from winter blues/depression or anything like that, am a quite positive person. New girlfriend is an outdoors type who is a very experienced shooter so this will hopefully dovetail in well. Thinking about a gun upgrade later this year and a proper gun fitting. 

Am back into shooting, got a new girlfriend and most things are going my way at present.

All looking good here. Thankfully….

No new year blues for me today. 😉
Oh go on Jasp do tell!

Went to Gunsite today, it was heaving, so much so that after a tea & the usual chin wag the hearing of 3hour + was enough for this old duffer to doff his cap and return home,  took the view that Id rather do this than stay, get cold and not enjoy myself. For all the stuff about increased costs putting people off Im not seeing that at all, every time & wherever I go out the grounds are busy.

211 CPSA entries 😳+ numerous non,  Yep heaving 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back