694 vs xs pro vs mk38

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay B

Can anyone give me some advice. I am looking for a new shotgun for sporting clays. I have narrowed it down to the Beretta 694, Browning xs pro or the miruko mk38 grade 5. They all fit me but haven't shot any of them.

The only advice I will give you is that new they are all north of three thousand quid . For that reason alone you owe it to yourself to try before you buy . Even if it takes you a couple of days and a few hundred miles / quid to find a shooting ground where you can try them back to back . For what it’s worth I love MK38 trap guns , and wouldn’t look at Berettas , my best mate shoots Beretta and doesn’t get on with Browning action guns , and thereby lies the problem with asking advice 🤣

Cheers mate. Also My brother in law has just started working for this bloke that goes game shooting. At some point I may go with him. I have no experience game shooting. Could or would you take any of these guns. 

Cheers mate. Also My brother in law has just started working for this bloke that goes game shooting. At some point I may go with him. I have no experience game shooting. Could or would you take any of these guns. 
All would be fine for game shooting or clays, really as others have said, its no rush but try them all, I have shot an xs pro quite a bit and would have no hesitation in buying one but its what feels best to you

Theres also both a 694 and an xs pro in the for sale, as new with fair savings on the new price

I  prefer to shoot driven pheasant with my Miroku Mk38 Trap Gun ( Teague Choked )  , so yes you can certainly shoot game with all of the guns you are looking at  . All of my buddies use their clay guns on various game shoots . One of them is taking a 525 30” Sporter on driven grouse tomorrow . 

Just bear in mind that clay guns normally have a manual safety , and  that safety is never used on a clay shoot , so remember to use it if you are on a game shoot . 

Any of the guns you are looking at would not embarrass you on the best shoots in the land . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really urge you to try before you buy.  I HAD a XS Pro for around 3 months and just could not get on with it. I changed it for a ProSport and scores are back to normal again. A shooting pal could not get on with a 694, but shoots well with his XS Pro. So, do try them all before making your decision, ideally on a 100 bird sporting layout.

Yes, fit alone isn’t everything. I have a perfectly fitting gun I prefer not to use for best results. 
To this day I do not know why I could not shoot the XS Pro, it felt right and the fit was good. I am not alone in this unusual happening, another shooting friend has just got rid of his XS Pro, for the same reason.

To this day I do not know why I could not shoot the XS Pro, it felt right and the fit was good. I am not alone in this unusual happening, another shooting friend has just got rid of his XS Pro, for the same reason.
The way a gun moves is all about weight distribution and that is far more complex that where the gun balances. There can be mass in particular places that just creates a dead feel. Usually the barrel is the culprit.

I admit to now fitting the barrel weights about 8" back from the muzzle, on the ProSport. It seems to be working well for me though, so for the time being, they will remain there. 

Latest posts

Back