This is the new discipline.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I’m reading that correctly that’s a lot of land & traps needed for a 100 target event, is there & where’s the pent up demand for such shoot?
You’re probably right Rich. If a ground owner wants a really big entry, they set a middle of the road 100 ESP. Any change to that isn’t as successful commercially. It’s why a sensible restaurant serves fish and chips and a good pie and mash. I’m up for a go at it, as something different but let’s see if it really survives. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I’m reading that correctly that’s a lot of land & traps needed for a 100 target event, is there & where’s the pent up demand for such shoot?
Probably won't be that much of a demand for it, so will probably end up another squaded mid-week shoot. 

Probably not as much as a normal sporting lay out as up to 4 traps on each stand if you want, min of 6 max of 10 targets on each stand

Standard sporting: 10 birds in pairs of some sort, miss the first 5/6 getting your eye and the range in from the 2 traps, hit some of the last 4 birds. 

Super sporting: 10 birds in pairs of some sort, miss all 10 getting your eye in from double the number of traps, hit sweet fa and wonder what you were shooting at! 

😊

Probably not as much as a normal sporting lay out as up to 4 traps on each stand if you want, min of 6 max of 10 targets on each stand
? ESP stand has two traps throwing 8/10 targets, I’m reading that this SuperSporting has stand with up to four traps throwing 8/10 targets, so surely more land and more traps for a 100 target event?

? ESP stand has two traps throwing 8/10 targets, I’m reading that this SuperSporting has stand with up to four traps throwing 8/10 targets, so surely more land and more traps for a 100 target event?
Not sure how that is if you double the traps on each stand you can double the targets so half the stands with normal ESP I'm thinking.

But then again I have been told that's dangerous for me 'thinking'

Supersporting is a good discipline for variety, Orston used to run it years ago and it was great fun. What it does do is give course setters a lot of options, simple birds can be made more difficult by reversing the order, or then shot simultaneously after being on report. They can also put on a massive looper or crosser on a single clay full use to give people two chances at hitting it, something you can't do at normal esp or sportrap without fear of a backlash that it's too hard and a card killer. You do need to be switched on to shoot it well, sportrap or fitasc shooters will take to it well as you have to be adaptable and pay attention to the menu board. If you're a repetition shooter then it can be tough.

Not sure how that is if you double the traps on each stand you can double the targets so half the stands with normal ESP I'm thinking.

But then again I have been told that's dangerous for me 'thinking'
Er, my reading of the guidelines is a maximum of 10 targets per stand, same as ESP, so you need minimum of ten stands for a 100 target event. 

Er, my reading of the guidelines is a maximum of 10 targets per stand, same as ESP, so you need minimum of ten stands for a 100 target event. 
Its not too difficult.... 10 stands, 3 traps per stand. A o/r B, A o/r C, A o/r B, A o/r C then B+C simo = 10 targets.

Ok, a extra 10 traps & batteries plus a few spare machines, etc but think most shooters will be grateful of a variation on a theme ?

Will probably host the 1st shoot at Redricks Sporting between christma & new year

With most sporting being over 12 stands thats 6 extra traps for a 10 stand SS, but 2 less referees needed. Extra effort needed setting up and sorting menus. Might also take a little longer to put a squad through each stand, as shooters study menu between shots but should even up with having less stands.

Phil - would you envisage charging same entry fee for SS as sporting?

Regards

Leigh

Its not too difficult.... 10 stands, 3 traps per stand. A o/r B, A o/r C, A o/r B, A o/r C then B+C simo = 10 targets.

Ok, a extra 10 traps & batteries plus a few spare machines, etc but think most shooters will be grateful of a variation on a theme ?

Will probably host the 1st shoot at Redricks Sporting between christma & new year
Morning Phil, interested in hearing from a ground operator as you boys are the chaps that have the headache of setting up, that option though is surely the leanest it can be run? As for wanting a variation, a few stands will need to be offered with full menu of singles / doubles / simos etc etc? This SuperSporting reads like / similar to multiple stands of FITASC, ie singles (shot first) then O/Rs then any Simos? The guidelines mention ABCD targets suggesting four traps? Cost, I’d imagine pitched between ESP & FITASC, for the very reasons Leigh mentioned.

Well I suppose it could be run leaner with only 2 traps to get 10 targets per stand. But that's defeating the object.

Following pair of A

Following pair of B

A O/R B

B O/R A

AB simo

Regards

Leigh

Most clay counting systems can only cope with 2 traps so you may need 2 per stand or a system that can cope with more than 2. 

Super sporting was well liked a few years back when there was a short series at Longridge. I don't recall any negative feedback from the punters but it is obviously more work to set up and more show birds consumed so I think in the end, normal reg sporting worked out easier to run and more profitable.

I would definitely shoot SS if it becomes a regular feature. the format suits me better than the bang, bang and repeat 4 or 5 times of regular sporting.

Shot the eley grand prix at Mickley a couple of times. Super sporting format was great. Really enjoyable shoots they were. 

Hopefully try a reg one soon. 

Jasper. 

Latest posts

Back