New discipline

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markush

I have an idea for a new discipline, it would probably require two or even three traps placed about 15m in front of a line of guns like trap, but they should be placed so that the three shoot birds anywhere in 360 degrees.  In other words the birds should shoot out left to right, right to left, going away and coming straight at you.  You wouldn’t know which bird is coming next so would require a very fast and accurate shooter.  Could this be done?  I saw something set up about 30 years ago with one trap on a turntable.  Unfortunately it wasn’t followed up on, for what I feel were political reasons it broke down and there was no more of it.

Could work I suppose. You would need a restriction on shooters gun movement though, or very dangerous chasing incoming targets going over your shoulders if in a line of shooters. A sportrap cage should suffice. I have always joked that DTL would be good if you shot it from the side rather than from behind the trap. 

I have an idea for a new discipline, it would probably require two or even three traps placed about 15m in front of a line of guns like trap, but they should be placed so that the three shoot birds anywhere in 360 degrees.  In other words the birds should shoot out left to right, right to left, going away and coming straight at you.  You wouldn’t know which bird is coming next so would require a very fast and accurate shooter.  Could this be done?  I saw something set up about 30 years ago with one trap on a turntable.  Unfortunately it wasn’t followed up on, for what I feel were political reasons it broke down and there was no more of it.
It's a nice idea but there are a few hurdles to overcome:

1. Grounds probably won't want to introduce it. Trap grounds are doing nicely from trap. I can't see there being a great deal of appetite to make the alterations required to host an untested event, especially if it takes the place of competitions they know shooters will attend.

2. Shooters probably wont be too keen. Whatever discipline they shoot they're a traditional lot and don't generally like straying too far from what they know.  FEDECAT is evidence of that.

3. I can't really see the CPSA going for it. They've historically shown some reluctance to embrace new events.

4. Isn't this quite similar to Sportrap, albeit without 360 degree movement?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could work I suppose. You would need a restriction on shooters gun movement though, or very dangerous chasing incoming targets going over your shoulders if in a line of shooters. A sportrap cage should suffice. I have always joked that DTL would be good if you shot it from the side rather than from behind the trap. 
ABT from the side would be really good!

A local club shoot used to occasionally finish up with the last 'stand' being a single trap with five following pairs shot from five different positions. Started off as a going away and finished as a driven, with three different crossing / quartering targets in between.  That was always fun.

4. Isn't this quite similar to Sportrap, albeit without 360 degree movement?
Really not. STR has no restrictions as to where the 5 traps are. Often has a target launched from well behind the shooters.

Really not. STR has no restrictions as to where the 5 traps are. Often has a target launched from well behind the shooters.
Ah, I bow to your greater knowledge. It's a hedgie event and, as most of you know, I don't do that!

Why not replace the 3 traps with  devices that launch a plastic helicopter rotor thing at random , then call it Helice  . Or even put out boxes with live pigeons in , and make it more difficult by having a handicap by distance shoot ….  Whoops to much time spent in Spain .

ABT from the side would be really good!

A local club shoot used to occasionally finish up with the last 'stand' being a single trap with five following pairs shot from five different positions. Started off as a going away and finished as a driven, with three different crossing / quartering targets in between.  That was always fun.
Brilliant little shoot that.  Handsome bugger running it too. 

But you would love it Jan 👍. Think back to your motor racing days. Trap is a drag straight. Sporting is Le Mans and Spa.
Hmm, I’ve not got that impression on the (admittedly few) occasions I’ve watched sporting clays. It looked a little more like banger racing to me!

Hmm, I’ve not got that impression on the (admittedly few) occasions I’ve watched sporting clays. It looked a little more like banger racing to me!
Ha ha. The wrong ones really will. It’s actually come on hugely in the 16 years I’ve been doing it, certainly in terms of civilised environments.

I believe that the Dallas GC has one  of these available all of the time.  Prolly what you're looking for.

If the guy in the video would STFU more it would be better but here's the thing in action

https://www.crazyquail.com/
That looks like fun, but I’ll have to wait until my kids are old enough to act as loaders. Which will give me time to learn how to juggle with loaded over-unders 😄  

When I read the title I thought we were going to be talking about Supersporting being a new registered discipline.

From reading your description it presume the three traps would be stationary but the Clay's fired off randomly.

If so why not get a sports trap set up (5 traps better than 3) keep your cages for your 5 stations.  Then computorise your release sequence using UT soft ware programmes. Shoot one target then move to the left. By doing this you would create a very testing random discipline, make sure each shooter got the same targets over a round of 25 and also utilise systems which are tried and tested and readily  available.... sorted 👍😃

'I saw something set up about 30 years ago with one trap on a turntable.  '

Back around then our club brought a couple of cock pheasant auto clay traps. I believe the guy who made them had a set up which was replicated at our club and was christened the whirlygig.

Basically the traps were fastened both facing the same way to either end of a wooden plank about 12 feet long. The plank was rotated around an axis by 12v motor.

The apparatus was hidden by screens and the shooter would stand around 16 yards back. Targets were thrown in sequence of single/ single, report pair, simo pair. Although once in motion there was a slight predictability of where the clays would be going in the 360 degrees, it was never the less very challenging, especially if the simo pair came out driven. Great fun.

Regards

Leigh

When I read the title I thought we were going to be talking about Supersporting being a new registered discipline.
O saw Don Brunts FB post about that as well, it's not appeared as a discipline in the averages or fixtures list as yet though.

Only shot it a few times years ago when Charlie, Linda and Rob ran Orston. Nice discipline, not sure how well grounds will accept it.

Latest posts

Back