Licence renewal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmac1

I applied for my licence renewal the third week in April 2021 knowing how long it's taking to issue licences ready for my new licence in June. It's now Nov 2021 and still no sign of it. I've phoned on a regular basis but told they are very busy and will issue me a temp licence. This was done in June to Aug, Aug to Oct, Oct to Nov and now till Jan 2022 and still don't know when I'll get my full licence. Any one on hear had the same problem. I'm under the Staffordshire/ west Midland's division.

I applied for my licence renewal the third week in April 2021 knowing how long it's taking to issue licences ready for my new licence in June. It's now Nov 2021 and still no sign of it. I've phoned on a regular basis but told they are very busy and will issue me a temp licence. This was done in June to Aug, Aug to Oct, Oct to Nov and now till Jan 2022 and still don't know when I'll get my full licence. Any one on hear had the same problem. I'm under the Staffordshire/ west Midland's division.
You're in a long queue of other renewals that a likely understaffed team are ploughing their way through. The latest Home Office 'guidance' making medical reports mandatory has taken away professional judgement. That means licensing authorities are, to some extent, in the hands of the medical profession and we know how overworked they are. You're fortunate they've given you a temporary certificate otherwise your guns would most likely be in an RFD's cabinet.

Be grateful you're not applying for a grant, they're taking much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven months to process a renewal, now that is taking the proverbial piss. If the police can issue four temporary certificates,why can’t the issue the renewal ????

Jan, your reply suggests that the medical profession is the issue, and the police are waiting on the GP before the licence is issued. My GP’s practice refused point blank to fill in my medical form, and I had to use a GP who was suggested by BASC to fill in the form. If the OP has gone down this route and there is no medical reason to issue the certificate then the police are certainly taking the piss.

Jan, your reply suggests that the medical profession is the issue, and the police are waiting on the GP before the licence is issued.
That’s it. Home Office involvement has slowed what is already a creaking process down. Add to that no inspections during lockdown, reduced staffing, FEO’s working from home and delays caused by application errors means a huge backlog to work through.

It used to be the case that applications could be submitted providing a medical report had been requested. If no response was received an assumption was made that there were no issues. That can’t happen now. It’s no report, no certificate.

I’m afraid to say it’ll probably get worse in the short term. No one organisation or agency is to blame for this, it’s the cumulative impact of lots of factors.

That’s it. Home Office involvement has slowed what was already a creaking process down. Add to that no inspections during lockdown, reduced staffing, FEO’s working from home and delays caused by application errors means a huge backlog to work through.

Covid has been blamed for all manner of things, and yes, you’re correct in saying that the system is creaking, however in this instance,if they can issue multiple temporary certificates,why can they not issue the renewal.

Covid has been blamed for all manner of things, and yes, you’re correct in saying that the system is creaking, however in this instance,if they can issue multiple temporary certificates,why can they not issue the renewal.
Because temporary certificates are an extension of the existing one. They can be generated relatively quickly with little administrative effort. Renewed certificates require medical reports, police checks, risk assessments and possibly a home visit. They’re much more work.

Because temporary certificates are an extension of the existing one. They can be generated relatively quickly with little administrative involvement. Renewed certificates require medical reports, police checks, risk assessments and possibly a home visit. They’re much more work.
Don’t buy that, if the medical report states there are no medical issues and it’s a renewal without changes, then yes they can issue the new certificate.

SWP, who are not the quickest in issuing certificates did exactly that when I renewed my certificate in April. And too date I nor my referee have had a phone call, and no home visit either.

Don’t buy that, if the medical report states there are no medical issues and it’s a renewal without changes, then yes they can issue the new certificate.

SWP, who are not the quickest in issuing certificates did exactly that when I renewed my certificate in April. And too date I nor my referee have had a phone call, and no home visit either.
Whether you buy it or not, that’s the way it is. Unfortunately it’s a waiting game. Eventually you get to the top of the pile, it just takes time.

Ultimately the government decides what checks are required to own guns in this country. Firearms Licensing departments are working as quickly as they can given the legislative and administrative framework set by others.

Because temporary certificates are an extension of the existing one. They can be generated relatively quickly with little administrative effort. Renewed certificates require medical reports, police checks, risk assessments and possibly a home visit. They’re much more work.
Is the correct answer.

It has just taken 7 weeks for me to obtain a copy of my medical records, all THREE A4 sheets of them   !

You're in a long queue of other renewals that a likely understaffed team are ploughing their way through. The latest Home Office 'guidance' making medical reports mandatory has taken away professional judgement. That means licensing authorities are, to some extent, in the hands of the medical profession and we know how overworked they are. You're fortunate they've given you a temporary certificate otherwise your guns would most likely be in an RFD's cabinet.

Be grateful you're not applying for a grant, they're taking much longer.
My Doctors sent my report to the local FAC within week of receiving it off the police

Cumbria is grim, my SGC expired on the 5th October, they received every thing required on the 19th of July. I was told by e-mail as I asked when would I have my new SG possibly after December as they are renewing those whose tickets expired in May.

Not good at all, in the last 15 years I've never had the new certificate the same time as the old one expires. I did like the older system better 😲

Good News. My SGC arrived last week. 7 months late. A friend has just got his FAC & SGC after waiting 12 months.

I suspect the medical report is what is causing the hold up. No idea if my GP will even do one for me. I renewed about 3 years ago and didn’t even get a home visit. Wonder what will happen in 2 years time…..

I suspect the medical report is what is causing the hold up. No idea if my GP will even do one for me. I renewed about 3 years ago and didn’t even get a home visit. Wonder what will happen in 2 years time…..
I would put the paperwork in now. You might have a chance that it's looked at before it expires...

More bad news I’m afraid. GP’s now have permission to reduce their involvement in non essential services to focus on the vaccine rollout. That means, amongst other things, conducting medical record checks and completing licensing forms will be postponed by many surgeries for the time being.

Latest posts

Back