New to clay

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amynewtoclay

I started shooting in September this year and i thoroughly enjoy it, i have only had 5 hours of tuition but my scores are getting better as the time goes on,  i know scores arent currently important what is, is improving stance, swing and gun hold. 

I am finding after around 15 clays my arm starts tremoring, can anyone help me with stopping this please

I started shooting in September this year and i thoroughly enjoy it, i have only had 5 hours of tuition but my scores are getting better as the time goes on,  i know scores arent currently important what is, is improving stance, swing and gun hold. 

I am finding after around 15 clays my arm starts tremoring, can anyone help me with stopping this please
It’s just new use of muscles. You will adapt. The BIG thing is time spent holding the gun up, which reduces greatly when more experienced. Beginners get a double whammy of “not used to it” and more time holding the gun. 

As Will said above, you will get used to the weight, I would also say don’t grip to tight as that causes tension etc.  Pick your gun up every day or two and just hold it and practice dry mounting etc. It will come!

As Will said above, you will get used to the weight, I would also say don’t grip to tight as that causes tension etc.  Pick your gun up every day or two and just hold it and practice dry mounting etc. It will come!
I currently dont have my lience, but i visit the club weekly and my coach gets me to dry practice, and do a dry run before every shot. 

I would also add to this that where the weight sits in the gun (relative to you and your body shape) will make a big difference.

For example a gun can feel very front heavy and aggravate the left shoulder on a right handed shooter, but by adding some weight in the stock (ignoring the fact the total weight of the gun has now increased) you will no longer feel the left shoulder having to be so engaged and dominant. 

Once you have your licence and own gun, get it balanced properly by somebody who knows what they’re doing. And ignore anyone who says a gun fit and balance isn’t worth doing yet as a new shooter, as it’s an evolving process. 

I currently dont have my lience, but i visit the club weekly and my coach gets me to dry practice, and do a dry run before every shot. 
Use anything, even a couple of bags of sugar/tins of beans etc and just hold them and move your arms up and down if you haven’t got a set of dumb bells/weights etc, anything that will get you used to holding something with a bit of weight in it then when you do get to the club and pick up the gun it won’t feel quite so heavy.  It will come I promise!  Where are you currently based?

Really then,  you have done the work of a lot more than 15 shots before you get tired probably 50 . so don’t beat yourself up . 

As your shooting evolves  a) you will become used to the weight , b) you won’t take practice swings with the gun , if you need to see a target you’ll just call , then follow the target with an extended arm and finger , not the gun c ) the time you spend from putting the gun in your shoulder to calling for the target will decrease significantly .  

Stick with it , it will come together 😀

Really then,  you have done the work of a lot more than 15 shots before you get tired probably 50 . so don’t beat yourself up . 

As your shooting evolves  a) you will become used to the weight , b) you won’t take practice swings with the gun , if you need to see a target you’ll just call , then follow the target with an extended arm and finger , not the gun c ) the time you spend from putting the gun in your shoulder to calling for the target will decrease significantly .  

Stick with it , it will come together 😀

I am definitely gonna stick. With it as im improving week by week

Donna's comment is spot on.

If you are waiiting to get a gun find a couple of weights (suger is fine - two 2kg (coated) dumbbells are ideal) and lift them as though liftiing the gun - one weight in each hand.

I tend to alternate the front hand in a "swinging" motion if that makes sense.

Do not over do it and build up really slowly - perhaps over a fortnight or so to 20 lifts, 2 mins rest, and another 20 etc.

If you do that every day you will find in a couple of weeks a lot of improvement. Twice a day morning & night much more so.

Only advice I can give is, in relation to your last comment, there will be a point where your shooting will take a decided downturn and you'll wonder why you're shooting sh*te all of a sudden, possibly for weeks or months on end...

Every single person here has gone through it, and may well go through it again, but it's just a phase so just do what you do and think about the basics to bring your game back. 

Thats all I've got, I'm out! 😄

😄

Last edited by a moderator:
Only advice I can give is, in relation to your last comment, there will be a point where your shooting will take a decided downturn and you'll wonder why you're shooting sh*te all of a sudden, possibly for weeks or months on end...

Every single person here has gone through it, and may well go through it again, but it's just a phase so just do what you do and think about the basics to bring your game back. 

I was told this by someone, and was told what you said, if i can make it through the bad times then its all good

Welcome to the forum, and now you have the 'bug' I hope you continue... it's a great sport ! 

Where in Kent are you learning/shooting currently?

Latest posts

Back