Ian Coleys - in decline or a one-off?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmicblue

Have shot at Ian Coley's ground many times and never been disappointed.

Earlier this year, back in the summer the interior seating area where one could sit and have a coffee - unwind after an hour or two in the car getting there was replaced by retail clothing racks - no refreshments.  OK, there's Covid so a coffee in a flask outside in the summer is fine, things have moved on and a coffee outside as winter beckons is rather more unappealing.

Went into the club house and signed in/got a Claymate card. - back to the car for 100 carts/gun etc.  More than half the stands were either not working at all or one trap was down - this is on a ground where no-birds were a rare event in the past.

Commented on the trap issues back at the counter and it felt like no-one cared.  Should we try it again - is this a one off or the way the ground is these days?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard similar issues with this ground, it seems like it’s not just a one off, it’s no longer on my must visit list. Shame as about 20 years ago when I was working near there it was an excellent place to go to 

I think  the catering is being delt with Cotswold dinner to run it from within the building somewhere.  Also they were looking for a groundsman back in the summer so maybe this affected your experience.  ?

Jasper. 

When I shot there for the first time a few weeks ago I got to be honest I did not get a single ( NO BIRD ) every trap worked perfectly & I shot a 100 bird round, my biggest gripe was with the guy working in the gun shop what an ignorant person he was far more interested playing with his phone than serving I did enjoy shooting there & will go back but will definitely give the gunshop a miss.

Have shot at Ian Coley's ground many times and never been disappointed.

Earlier this year, back in the summer the interior seating area where one could sit and have a coffee - unwind after an hour or two in the car getting there was replaced by retail clothing racks - no refreshments.  OK, there's Covid so a coffee in a flask outside in the summer is fine, things have moved on and a coffee outside as winter beckons is rather more unappealing.

Went into the club house and signed in/got a Claymate card. - back to the car for 100 carts/gun etc.  More than half the stands were either not working at all or one trap was down - this is on a ground where no-birds were a rare event in the past.

Commented on the trap issues back at the counter and it felt like no-one cared.  Should we try it again - is this a one off or the way the ground is these days?  
As regards to the ground, the forestry chaps have been / are in and it’s been “carnage” on the ground to quote one reliable source, so that would most probably explain/ excuse for those trap issues. Your other points are valid, alas I fear they are changes which are not going to be reversed anytime soon. 

Me and my wife try to shoot at Coley’s most Saturday mornings. It became our little routine, 100 birds followed by a full English sat in the warm (especially on wintery days) with other shooting folk chatting about shooting and life. We miss that but we have never had any major problems with traps and no birds. Interestingly, Barbary seem to have gone the other way building a new club house and offering food.

OP, seems that you had all the bad luck that day, Coleys is one of the better grounds in that it is always a pleasure to visit, the targets are many and varied and cost wise ,on a par with other similar grounds.

Catering is something out of their hands, I always used to enjoy a full English prior to shooting, now I simply stop off on the way and have a cuppa and grub at a burger van, perhaps when Covid has finally been beaten the on-site catering will return.

Did you talk to Matt about the no birds ? He would have been so apologetic.

Give the ground another go, don’t let one bad day cloud your judgment.

Thanks all - I have met Matt @ Coleys - in fact had some tuition to hit the high tower targets a couple of years ago, lovely guy.    He was no-where to be seen though.

Barbury - yes been a few times, absolutely excellent ground, ranks as one of my all-time favourite places - shame its a good two-plus hours away.  The new building/shop/cafe building there is top notch with super friendly staff too.

I think  the catering is being delt with Cotswold dinner to run it from within the building somewhere.  Also they were looking for a groundsman back in the summer so maybe this affected your experience.  ?

Jasper. 
The Cotswold chappie is I believe only there on the Saturday, I can recommend his BLT baguette 😋😋😋

Re visited yesterday 5th Nov, yep the ground is still a bit ( er a lot ) scarred following the forestry fellows visit, that said doing such intense work at ay time of year let alone now a wet windy Autumn would affect anywhere. All stands were open, a few of which still had same targets as last visit, though most were enough for what I wanted to do. Had one (out of 100) no-bird, on the ground two staff coaches busily plying their trade with what looked to be beginners lessons, couple of freelance ones too. Other than I about half dozen or so of us on ground, it was though late afternoon and for that time of day traffic getting away from the place does put a few off. Afraid no canteen / hot drinks, a chilled fridge for pop & the like but that's not what many ( probably all ) would like after being outside for hour / two, it was nippy rather than bitter cold, but the latter is not too far away.

As for the shop, the staff all looked to be in jovial spirts, happy in their own company as not many "shoppers", though have to admit I wasn't looking at nor asking about any products in shop, so its not a reflection on a shopper experience.

Went again today, the amount of forestry work undertaken is quite something, yes the top half of the ground is untouched but the lower half which was heavily wooded is now not, lots of open spaces / sky. Lots of targets changed and most a fair enough challenge, just three no birds, looked reasonably busy on ground with a mix of corporate/ lessons & us practicing addicts. What was though sadly missing was a chance for a hot drink, whilst not “too cold” it was chilly enough to need one.

Jasper. 
Cotswold Diner only there on the odd occasion. 

Cotswold Diner only there on the odd occasion. 
He is there weekends ( Coleys only opens Saturdays mind ) and think for the registered shoots, I can heartily recommend his BLTs 😋😋 however he works from an outside (clientele at mercy of elements ) cabin not inside the nice central heated building so it’s a bit if a raw (cold 🥶🥶🥶) experience at present. It appears the ground see selling clothing as the preferred option. 

Back