Pilla panther prescription insert

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisessig

Any one own pilla panther with the prescription insert.

How you getting on with them?

Heard people moaning about the outlaws being flimsy and steaming up.

The panthers look sturdier, are they?

Any problems with steaming up at all?

Cheers

images (2).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot help with personal use of the insert but when I was looking I asked a few people and the feedback was mixed but generally not great. I find that one lense colour suits my eyes for 95% (22N) of shooting situations so was not in need of lots of coloured lenses, my prescription has also been pretty stable for distance for a number of years. With this in mind I contacted Ed Lyons and discussed my options and went for a set of precription pilla 540 crx, these are really top notch and the whole experience was first class, highly recomended if slightly pricier way to go.

I cannot help with personal use of the insert but when I was looking I asked a few people and the feedback was mixed but generally not great. I find that one lense colour suits my eyes for 95% (22N) of shooting situations so was not in need of lots of coloured lenses, my prescription has also been pretty stable for distance for a number of years. With this in mind I contacted Ed Lyons and discussed my options and went for a set of precription pilla 540 crx, these are really top notch and the whole experience was first class, highly recomended if slightly pricier way to go.
Totally agree. I also had 540s made. They are in my drawer and for sale now though.. (effectively frames only obviously, as lenses are my out of date prescription)

I shoot with two pairs of the linked  JH Steward Zeiss Sports with a distance prescription.  A purple pair a, and photochromatic  yellow pair cover every eventuality for both clay and game  .  They are all day comfortable  superb clarity and target definition 

Will - What do you use now ?
Specsavers! Pick a decent sunglasses frame (large enough, with an adjustable nose support so you can set them high) then choose a colour. They have “Ultradrive” which a mid colour yellow that I use almost always. Or brown tint, bright yellow options. Cheap and as good as anything I’ve ever had. 

Didn't think of Specsavers. Just been and had a look. Aviator style sunglasses are big enough to cover my view, didn't look like I'd have any blind spots!(pardon the pun), like I sometimes get from normal glasses. Buy one get one free also, so I chose one with a darker shade and one with a lighter shade. They had grey, brown,green lenses to choose from ,with 3 shades. I asked to see the yellow but the lady serving said they didn't have that. All for £89

cant imagine inserts being very good ,   i have the Zeiss sports single lens distance prescription !!    pilla are overpriced  massively   😎 

cant imagine inserts being very good ,   i have the Zeiss sports single lens distance prescription !!    pilla are overpriced  massively   😎 
usually when products are massively over priced they dont sell in great volumes, i will give you they are not low cost but sales suggest the price point is about correct, I have both Pilla and specsavers, both fine but wear the Pillas 95% of the time as the lens colour suits my eyes better against most backgrounds but you definately do not need to spend pilla budget to see clays well

I used to have Rangers with an insert and got sold on the Pilla being the best so sold my Rangers and got Pilla Outlaw 6 with the inserts and it was a massive mistake for me.  Took them back and changed them for the Outlaw 7  which again was just not up to the job.  The clarity of the inserts were nowhere as good as the Rangers. Pilla inserts are plastic and for me they did steam up, whereas the Rangers are glass and were much bigger so I could have my bifocal too. I can see the appeal of Pilla’s if you don’t need inserts but for me they were no good. I ended up selling 2 of the 4 lenses and I repurchased some Rangers but as my prescription has really not changed much in years I had the prescription lenses done so no inserts. Just gone for 2 colours to start with to see how I got on with them again but feel so much more comfortable.  Had one pair done in the Ranger frames but as they are expensive I took the other pair into my local family run opticians and we just picked a frame that I was able to put the Ranger lenses into which they done for me so now I don’t even have to worry about changing the lenses over and getting my sticky fingers over them whilst trying to do so! 

I've had a few pairs of R E Rangers and they have been really good glasses, used them with contact lenses though. Got an insert for my XLWs but couldn't get on with it really. Touch the plunge and got a pair of pilla 580's in prescription and the difference was outstanding, the clarity and definition was superb. The 580's were worth every penny and one of my best shooting purchases. Until I bought a pair of 540's this last month, they were even better, better shape and the bridge just fitted my nose and eyes better. I know they are expensive but my word are they worth the cost.

Back