Techniques for right shoulder shooters with left master eye.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsteelrider

As the title says.

Having recently returned to the sport, I have found that my dominant eye is left despite being right handed and thus most comfortable with shooting from the right shoulder.

I tend to follow a target and then close my left eye much as in rifle shooting.

Not idea maybe ??

Do any of you guys have suggestions on other ways to cope with this common problem.

Assuming that it is a problem of course.

Many Thanks.

Depends how long you shot for before. You could try shooting off the left shoulder or otherwise get a small piece of tape put in the correct place on your shooting glasses. A good coach will be able to do this for you.

The three main solutions are said to be :

Learning to shoot off the other shoulder

Shutting the non shooting eye, before, during or just before pulling the trigger

Using blocking devices such as grease/patch on the shooting glasses 

I learnt to ignore all three by remaining aware of the fact my right eye is the driver, can't tell you how hard it was because I don't recall blood and sweat application or practice but it works and I almost never think about it.

the only real sensible option is to learn to shoot off the other shoulder

I have central vision, so neither is dominant. But the outcome is the same.

For a year I used to do use the "Both eyes, One eye, Shoot" approach. Which was fine, but I recently started to put a small frosted spot on my left lens to take that put of the equation, but still allowing full benefit it shooting with both eyes open.

I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS ENOUGH!

It is soooooo much better than shooting with one eye closed.

I'm guessing it will have the same effect for someone with left eye dominance, but don't actually know. But I do know it has definately improved my shooting.

Once your sure the grease patch is in the correct place then you can get something more per ant done, like etching or grinding the lense

the only real sensible option is to learn to shoot off the other shoulder

Aye, sound advice. As a right hander in everything I do in life, it was a concern to have to change to left hand shooting because of a dominant left eye. Just give it a try to those who are worried about it.

I could never be a Digweed that's for sure, but I did all I wished on the clayfields as a "lefty".

Phil*

I'm guessing it will have the same effect for someone with left eye dominance, but don't actually know. But I do know it has definately improved my shooting.
Yes it does, a friend of mine who is a good A class shot does the same with opaque patches on his Oakley. I tried the same thing around thirty years ago but gave up because to this day nobody does glasses that are well designed enough to wear without creating other unwanted issues such as the arms hurting the sides of my head/ears, poor nose supports sliding down and the glasses not being quite high enough to get zero distraction from the centre and top edges.

Poor frames in other words, they spend 7 days polishing the glass surface though so they must be good.

Many thanks for the replies. I have heard that there is a target finding device that fits onto the rib just behind the target bead. It apparently attaches via magnets onto the rib. A bright orange dot is formed optically which fools the weaker eye into being dominant. Any of you guys come across this add on ??

Many thanks for the replies. I have heard that there is a target finding device that fits onto the rib just behind the target bead. It apparently attaches via magnets onto the rib. A bright orange dot is formed optically which fools the weaker eye into being dominant. Any of you guys come across this add on ??
I am a right shoulder shooter, with a strongly dominant left eye. I am currently using the easy hit bead, it's attached by strong double sided tape to the rib. I always shoot with  both eyes open, just prior to calling for the target I shut my left eye for a moment to concentrate on the bead, open my left eye & call. I have to make sure on seeing the target that I never look away from it having picked it up ( you mustn't concentrate on the bead). This method works for me but it took time & effort to get it right. I may sometimes just squint my left eye just before firing on a rabbit target. Try it or a variant of it. I don't believe you need to shoot off your left shoulder.

Wouldn't reccomend one of those. IMHO all corrections should be done well away from the muzzle I.e. on your glasses otherwise too much risk of loosing focus on the target. May well work for a majority of the time but when under stress or slightly caught out by a target then it may show as a weakness.

Just my opinion though,

Mark

Wouldn't reccomend one of those. IMHO all corrections should be done well away from the muzzle I.e. on your glasses otherwise too much risk of loosing focus on the target. May well work for a majority of the time but when under stress or slightly caught out by a target then it may show as a weakness. Just my opinion though, Mark
Honestly the opposite applies to me the less time I have to think about a target, the better day I have. I cough a lot some refs think a cough means pull & send the clay before i'm really ready, I hit these more often than not.

I shoot with a left eye dominant right handed shooter, who was at the gun show in stoneleigh and saw a gizmo that fits on the end of your barrels and sorts this problem out but for £600 said it was a bit steep. So he told me what it was and I told him to get some dimensions together and try and draw it out . I now have a cad cam drawing of a gizmo that fits over the rib that sort of hangs off the barrels to the left with an adjustable bead to suit all sizes of pupil centres so he can line up with his left eye .

Got that sorted thanks growl I'm in the engineering trade,it's a prototype in the making . The guy I'm making it for is convinced it will work . He sourced a lightweight plastic as well , these things always need a tweek as well .

changing shoulders is gonna be a damn sight easier and more successful than the other sticky plaster type solutions mentioned imo

Back