Shotgun certificate referee

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footsie

Hello all,

I’m just wondering does the referee that you give when applying for a licence get a visit from the police or is it just a phone call?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I lived in Scotland I had to give referee's on three occasions for both firearms and shotgun certs... none of them was ever approach for a reference ??? I was a referee for a couple of applications... never heard from the police at all???

My ref' was visited, but that was in the early 80s.  Mind you, the whole process only took about 5 weeks.

When I lived in Scotland I had to give referee's on three occasions for both firearms and shotgun certs... none of them was ever approach for a reference ??? I was a referee for a couple of applications... never heard from the police at all???
Yes me the same, my referee’s never got a call.

My FEO sat outside my house after my home visit, I wondered what he was doing, wondering if it was a good or bad thing.

I found out a few minutes later when my referee called to say he’d been on the phone to him. I’ve never heard of a referee being visited.

Beats me why they bother with referees, I mean you're not going to put somebody down who is going to put a spanner in the works are you 
If I recall correctly years ago you're referee used to have to be somebody who was of a certain profession (Accountant, solicitor, doctor ect) to give a bit of weight to the character reference. Where as now its just anyone who you're not related to and have known for a few years.

Beats me why they bother with referees, I mean you're not going to put somebody down who is going to put a spanner in the works are you 
Valid point. I also cant see the reason for going through this process on renewel applications

+1 I don’t see why renewals like passports shouldn’t be 10yrs as your doctor knows you hold guns as it’s flagged up on his pc & if you are a naughty boy the police know instantly you are a licence holder.

Footsie - Can I ask why you are asking ?
Am too a wondering? As you (OP) are applying for your first & not a renewal I’d imagine ( and you must expect) your local Firearms Officer will both diligently carry out the relevant checks about yourself / background/ history and make every effort to speak with your referee.  

In particular, why it is so important to the OP (with no previous posts) to ascertain why a face to face meeting of a referree will not take place.

Perhaps this is one of those questions where our comments on what the Police have done when processing our applications could be used to argue due process is not being following and that it should tightened ? Or perhaps someone is asking to find out whether a bogus name and burner phone number would be good enough.

Whatever, i would like some more reasoning.

In particular, why it is so important to the OP (with no previous posts) to ascertain why a face to face meeting of a referree will not take place.

Perhaps this is one of those questions where our comments on what the Police have done when processing our applications could be used to argue due process is not being following and that it should tightened ? Or perhaps someone is asking to find out whether a bogus name and burner phone number would be good enough.

Whatever, i would like some more reasoning.
Alarm bells are definitely ringing. 

Am too a wondering? As you (OP) are applying for your first & not a renewal I’d imagine ( and you must expect) your local Firearms Officer will both diligently carry out the relevant checks about yourself / background/ history and make every effort to speak with your referee.  
Absolutely .  The other obvious point is that our referees in themselves are of interest to the enquiry officer . If the only people an applicant knows well enough to vouch for him were  of dubious character , known to the police for the wrong reasons  etc , then that in itself speaks volumes about the applicant . Of course the first question you get asked when you are the referee Is  ‘ do you know Mr /Ms/ Mrs Bloggs’  …. 

Slight aside, but my referee was asked if I'd paid for the positive reference!

It is a little ridiculous asking obvious questions like that, but I bet every now and then asking as blunt a question as that turns up interesting details!

Out of interest, are your referees required to sign for their acceptance of referee-ship? Over here we are required to re-state your 3 referee's details on any modification of permits (extension, additions, renewals) but at no time is the referee required to actually sign anything or provide an intimate detail such as passport or driver's licence number.

As frequency of outreach to referees is low, one wonders. I know of a club where a chap just jotted down the details of a board member, which were helpfully online, because "that's what the secretary/president/barmaid are supposed to do for members". Stupid decisions have stupid consequences fortunately, but for all I know there could be chumps putting up whomever's details and never get found out.       

Latest posts

Back