Bore snake or brush?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

I have been using a bore snake (with incorporated small metal brush) to clean my barrels, but a gunsmith told me a phosphor bronze brush is better as bore snake leaves unseen deposits. What do members use and how often?

I was given a bore snake years ago, but the idea doesn’t appeal as it would become dirty and I would have to throw it away. I use a bore brush, the dense type not the spiral type, but rarely. I usually just spray some Napier cleaner in and leave it a while, before pushing kitchen roll through, then Napier paper on a plastic jag. Does a decent job. Fibre cartridges are nastier of course.

I use the bore snake after shooting as a quick clean if shooting again in the next couple of days, use a brush for a proper clean.

Dry Boresnake after a day's shooting. At home I keep an oiled one if it's been wet or otherwise nasty. Every once in a while I do a thorough cleaning with solvents and brushes. 

I was given a bore snake years ago, but the idea doesn’t appeal as it would become dirty and I would have to throw it away.
No worries there:  Take a thick wool sock, stuff 'm in there and the laundromat makes 'm brand new again. Mix that with SO's whites at your own peril though. 

I have a bunch of boresnakes, in various designs (one brush woven in, two brushes, thicker and thinner materials). Do a search on AliExpress and you'll find em cheap enough. The 15-20 or so quid for a single one is daylight robbery. 

I've had the string of a boresnake break on me. What a pita that was to get out. A few hours, a lot of oil and a made up tool using a corkscrew.

Now, when I get a new 'snake, I tie some strong string onto the loop at the opposite end.

I use a bronze and a mop with a patch over it. Quick clean after a handful of shells is a squirt of oil then push a patch through on the mop, thorough clean I use the bronze First as well as mop and patch.

Dry Boresnake after a day's shooting. At home I keep an oiled one if it's been wet or otherwise nasty. Every once in a while I do a thorough cleaning with solvents and brushes. 

No worries there:  Take a thick wool sock, stuff 'm in there and the laundromat makes 'm brand new again. Mix that with SO's whites at your own peril though. 

I have a bunch of boresnakes, in various designs (one brush woven in, two brushes, thicker and thinner materials). Do a search on AliExpress and you'll find em cheap enough. The 15-20 or so quid for a single one is daylight robbery. 
What a faff. Still nah.. 😀

I’ve got bore snakes to carry in the field , both shotgun and rifle .  For a quick clean of the bores before putting the shotguns away I use a Paradox Gun cleaner , the 3 foot long “ sheep on a stick” thing . Brilliant and washable .  For a proper job it’s got to be rods and brushes all the way . Especially around the forcing cones .  I’d not be too worried about a cheap bore snake snapping in a 12 gauge , but I’d only use Hoppes brand in the firearms , the thought of one snapping in a .17 HMR bore isn’t worth the risk . 

I’ve got bore snakes to carry in the field , both shotgun and rifle .  For a quick clean of the bores before putting the shotguns away I use a Paradox Gun cleaner , the 3 foot long “ sheep on a stick” thing . Brilliant and washable .  For a proper job it’s got to be rods and brushes all the way . Especially around the forcing cones .  I’d not be too worried about a cheap bore snake snapping in a 12 gauge , but I’d only use Hoppes brand in the firearms , the thought of one snapping in a .17 HMR bore isn’t worth the risk . 
Wait until/if it happens.....what a faff. It can't be pushed out as it compresses and gets tighter. Then it's a case of designing something strong enough to hook it onto and will withstand a lot of tugging, and that's after letting it soak in oil for a few hours.....Sheeesh! 

Think of it as a test.  Consider how the experience has provided you with so many character building elements.  How you saw your way past without any homicidal fugues in the tube.  I'm sure there are many people who would gladly pay for such an enlightening experience.  How lucky you are for having had that opportunity free of charge.

Silver linings and all that, donchuno  

Think of it as a test.  Consider how the experience has provided you with so many character building elements.  How you saw your way past without any homicidal fugues in the tube.  I'm sure there are many people who would gladly pay for such an enlightening experience.  How lucky you are for having had that opportunity free of charge.

Silver linings and all that, donchuno  
You'd make a good politician..........Thanks for letting me work for longer hours for less money.......so character building.

I typically get to shoot twice a week (Weds and Saturday) and properly clean the gun once unless its - wet and then its the full works of course with a phosphor bronze brush, sometimes with some fine wire-wool if the deposits prove hard to shift - I only shoot fibre wad or BioAmmo. 

For the intermediate mid-week clean-the-bores job I use a Paradox rod - https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/bisley-paradox-cleaning-rod-12-gauge

I'm actually on my 2nd one now, the 1st lasted 7 years - the 'wool' seems to generate heat when used vigorously and the bores become spotless quickly.  Typically I'll clean the rod with washing up liquid/water once a year and leave it to dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think I'd like to use wire wool up the barrles, bits getting left in there to rust puts me off

Latest posts

Back