Which one would you pick?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one?

• CG Invictus

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • CG Maxum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Browning Ultra XS Pro

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Browning Pro Sport

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Beretta 694

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Beretta 695 Sporter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miroku MK38 Gd5

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Blaser F16

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Spend it on a second hand gun (Perazzi, DT10 etc). Please comment below which one if you click this.

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters

aynesie

Help me choose. If you had £3k - £4k to spend on your first gun, which would you pick? 

(I have already budgeted for clays, cartridges and lessons etc)

Interested to hear the opinions of those who have the benefit of hindsight.

Choose the one with the best resale. Likely you will get another.😀

I am in the US and the progression goes semi auto, beretta/browning, high end gun after a couple of years of knowing what works for you.

Semi auto is cheap, less recoil for a beginner, easier to move with 1 barrel and your resale is good or keep for a rainy day/loaner

I started with a browning 425, kemen, merkel o/u in 32", K80, K80 parcours. 

F16 would be my choice on your list. Nothing wrong with used.

I recently spent a long day with a friend looking to buy a new gun. He settled on a 694, but we were shocked in the difference between two examples of the same gun. Huge weight difference and feel. The individual gun is important, not just the model. 

I recently spent a long day with a friend looking to buy a new gun. He settled on a 694, but we were shocked in the difference between two examples of the same gun. Huge weight difference and feel. The individual gun is important, not just the model. 
Really? Were they new guns?

Quite a few on your list will have weights to adjust the weight and balance. The F16 is a light gun but it can be bulked up if required. I would expect some shop examples to be setup differently to appeal to different expectation though I have no doubt this will have been something Will will have checked.

ultra xs pro  ok so i am slightly biased  as i shoot one , but browning are bomb proof , most gunsmiths carry spares and can work on them !!    smashing gun adj comb , three pad sizes ,  barrel weights and stock weights  three trigger blades all in the box   ,  grade 4 turkish walnut , derek lee gunshop the cheapest I've seen !    but now we have the ultra xs pro crown   even more bling , and a bit more dosh          good luck choosing ..  

I'd go for the Blaser, not the prettiest thing going but fabulous engineering quality and proper aftersales support too. 

How long have you been shooting for? Have you sone different guns yet at a shooting school for example?

I started with a Lanber field gun in the 80s

then  got a Lanber multi choke sporter

had two semi auto’s Remington 1100 and Beretta 302 then finally got a Browning gtis ultra sporter in 1999 love how it shoots don’t think I will ever swap it but if I did it would be a Browning B25 B2G sporter

Neil

Used. Especially if its your first gun. My thoughts are that you’d buy a gun that’s built for a few decades of hard use, so a year or two of use by someone else isn’t going to hurt it much. And it does bring the top-of-the-line stuff a lot closer price wise. I’ve bought second hand Beretta’s only and I haven’t been disappointed yet. DT11, a really nice DT10, or if you’re lucky a newer DT11 black. I did, and haven’t regretted it (yet).  

Used DT10 or save yourself shed loads of money and buy an original 682 gold (not gold e) the best gun Beretta ever made possibly the best clay gun ever....all things considered.....end of.  £1300 should get you a minter......your welcome 👍

Used DT10 is a good idea. The 682 Gold's have an outstanding reputation, but finding one that isn't showing its age may be difficult, although at up to 4K it should be mint. I had no difficulty in finding newer DT11 models at that kind of money. They're outstanding guns. I favour (my) Beretta's for a number of reasons as I have explained elsewhere, foremost being the availability and ease of buying parts. That's something you may want to consider, now that I think of it.  

Although I shoot a Beretta I couldn't recommend a new one so I voted browning. But some people cannot get on with browning/ miroku guns.
What model do you shoot and what issues with it are holding you back? If you'd prefer a Browning, why not switch in part ex?

I have a 694 adjustable stock, it fits me like a glove.excellent build quality ,the best gun I have ever owned. Massively confidence inspiring .now named as "shrek" as it's my happily ever after gun😁 just for info  weight is 8 pounds 4oz  30" barrels

But that is me. Try them all you will know when you find the one🤐

Ps  ( yes I know I'm a Beretta fanboy .)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing for sure , is that your first gun will be traded in after a period of “learning on the job “ .

With respect to your list ,  all good kit ,  not one of them will give you an excuse 🤣

The  only comment I’d make on choice is the GD5 Miroku MK38 . If you mean the Sporter version , I personally find it a ponderous thing and not as “ shootable” as  a 725 pro sport or the 525 XSpro .  If you mean the 38 trap gun and converting it into an all round gun , it’s a brilliant model ( again  IMHO ) , but I’d give it a miss as novice until you’ve shot enough to know what you really like ,  buggering about with one at this stage of your career won’t give you anything that the XS Pro cant .  

I shoot a 1984 682x I have no issues with it. The OP asked for opinions on a new £3-4k gun and I would not recommend a Beretta.
Fair enough, although I'm still curious as to why no other Beretta's would come recommended. I shoot a 1979 ish 686 special for odd use, a used 2016 692 black for most of my clays (that I haven't had any issues with contrary to popular, if mostly unfounded, opinion of the 692) and my most recent purchase is a used DT that I'm trying out for skeet. Each worth the money I paid at their various price points, and guns that will outshoot and outlast me. But I would also recommend exploring as much options as possible. 

Back