Ed Lyons

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdSolomons

Well, have fully digested my morning with Ed and feel compelled to share my thoughts/findings with you all, as it was (hello awful pun) a real eye opener.

I have shot with prescription specs for several years now, and just relied on your yearly check up at the local optician to see if I needed any tweaks making to my prescription. Details then sent off to Oakley (if required), then new lenses and carry on. Happy days.

I went to see Ed as firstly I had heard several super reviews from people who's opinions I trust, and secondly, because I have been aware over the last 12 months of not seeing the shot on its way to the target half as clearly as I should, and also clarity of focus in Some situations has not been perfect.

My normal eye test lasts about 20 minutes and is a fairly basic affair, but has seemed ok in the past. I was tested/evaluated by Ed over nearly 3 hours and the level of detail was staggering. This has lead to a revised prescription which enabled me to see 2 lines below 20:20 vision, and with unbelievable clarity. When I put my old glasses on I was amazed I hit anything last year, let alone shot well!

I won't go over all the areas covered as it was just too detailed to write out, but suffice to say for the cost of a morning, and what I took away from it, I would happily spend 3 times as much to get the outcome that I have. I feel this is going to be an enourmous advantage to me over the coming season/s, as I plan on having a yearly sports vision evaluation done by Ed at the beginning of each season. Compared to what you spend on shooting a year, it is nothing, but could have an enourmous impact on your performance and results.

I have a set of various lenses on order using my new prescription and rarely for me, I can't wait to get them so I can get my gun out! I feel like I have been shooting through milk bottles for 18 months now I see what I should be seeing. Watch out 2013 is all I can say!

Brilliant service and a phenomenal base of untapped knowledge, I'd put Ed on a par with Henry Hopking who is in my eyes at the top of the free for knowledge in his field and professionalism, and when someone does a great job, I think you should shout about it.

So thanks Ed, best investment I imagine I will make this year.

Ed

Thoroughly nice chap, I thankfully dont need a prescription but was struggling to pick up certain targets so he sent me a set of randolf frames with about 8 different coloured lenses purely on spec to see which helped. I settled on a set of 3 that had to be shipped from the US in my size and returned the demo set. He let me use the new ones to make sure I was totally happy before I even paid for them.

Super service and for those shooting the growler tomorrow I'm sure he will have his diary and let you pick his brain :)

Great post Ed, I struggle alot with my eyes and this could be a good direction for me as high street tests just don't cut it for me, I struggle to pick targets and often struggle to see targets on bad backgrounds - often blaming tired eyes from long hours on computer screens but I have always wondered if my perscription was good enough.

Great post Ed, I struggle alot with my eyes and this could be a good direction for me as high street tests just don't cut it for me, I struggle to pick targets and often struggle to see targets on bad backgrounds - often blaming tired eyes from long hours on computer screens but I have always wondered if my perscription was good enough.
Get speaking to ed mate! I would put my gun on him straightening you out and giving the peepers a new lease of life. I can't describe the improvement I saw.

I've sent an email so hopefully will get things moving this week, Its nice to see people at the top of the sport willing to share valuable info. Thanks again

Steve

Which oakley's did you have with prescription in them Ed?

I'm always on the look out for some stylish prescription shooting glasses? I'm using peltor maxim's at the minute with an insert. But would like somebwrap arounds that don't require an insert if ther is such a thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the flak jackets for a few years now mate, suit my style of shooting (quite head up) if you get into your gun more the frame might be an issue so best to try a few styles and see what works.

The lenses themselves are prescription so no need for double glazing (hate the look of inserts) and easily changed if required due to light.

Rachel Willcock (using Adams account):

I would like to second everything that Ed Solomons has said about Ed Lyons...

Aside from being a jolly nice chap, the insight and knowledge that Ed has of sports vision is phenomenal.

I have worn glasses since I was 3 and have always had regular eye tests/glasses updates. I have always struggled with my prescription as my left eye is so skewy, which has also meant I have not been able to wear contact lenses (or not ones that are anywhere near my prescription anyway!).

When I started shooting my vision was my biggest weakness. Not only could I not get on with contact lenses but I couldn't find an optician who could get my prescription put in to sports eyewear. My eyes would tire really quickly as they strained to see the targets and I also struggled with halos around clays, double vision and depth perception in flat light.

I went to see Ed 6 months ago and I can honestly say that I now have shooting glasses which allow me to see better than I can ever remember seeing! It's incredible. Many of the tests that Ed went through i have never had done in the 28 years I have been wearing glasses and have taught me so much about the way my eyes see.

By sorting out my vision it has not only given me the confidence in what I am seeing but it has also given me that "one less thing" to think about in the cage - and for a woman, that's a VERY good thing! :) My scores have noticeably improved and I can only imagine they will continue to increase.

I would definitely recommend a visit...

Met Ed Lyons at the growler and what a thoroughly nice chap he is.
Only down side was his own eye sight as I'm sure I witnessed him under guidance from a certain England OT captain purchasing of all things a Beretta gun :)) hahahahahdahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Met Ed Lyons at the growler and what a thoroughly nice chap he is. Only down side was his own eye sight as I'm sure I witnessed him under guidance from a certain England OT captain purchasing of all things a Beretta gun :)) hahahahahdahahahahahahahhahahahaha
Ha ha! Yes, after a couple of my scores I think I need to make an appointment with myself... :hunter:

may have to beek an appointment with you myself sometime Ed, I'll get my hip sorted out forst then my peepers when I have a gun back in my shoulder, glad you made it to the Growler and thank you again for the great prize donated, atb, Growl

Ed Lyons, you silly boy, you should know Adams eyesight better than anyone, Adam was actually looking at a Miroku and that is what he was recommending!

Following the recommendations on this forum, after a couple of sessions with Ed Lyons myself, my new specs arrived yesterday. Went for a shoot at Worsley yesterday afternoon/evening and I'm thrilled by the new prescription. Quite clearly a far more accurate prescription than anything I've ever had before. Ed obviously knows his stuff and previous recommendations are well deserved. If you're serious about your shooting and wear prescription shooting specs then I can't recommend Ed's services highly enough.

Mark H

Latest posts

Back