Skeet Gun,

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin_b

Hi, After a gap of about 30 years Im going to start shooting Skeet again just for fun. 

My question is I'm primarily a trap shooter, with a trap gun. 30 inch barrels 3/4 and full and a high rib. Now I could change the chokes ( but then I'd forget to change them back for OT)  and  i really dont want to start messing around with the comb hight, so is the a Skeet equivilent the Miroku mk38?  By that I mean a good bargain used gun to look out for.

regards

Martin

I am not sure what the official model is, but I see adds coming by of Miroku Skeet&Skeet guns. 
My first shooting lessons was with one of those. Fitted me great. 

I have seen quite successful skeet shooters use a trap gun for casual skeet shooting so initially that is what I would do. See if you like skeet first before spending more money.

Vic.

Shot a all rounder on the same squad as richard king a couple of years ago and if memory serves he dropped a abt and a couple of sporting targets and im 100% sure the gun wasn't the issue.But hey if youve got the cash to play with then have fun and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know if he is still posting on here , and I don’t know if he still has the gun . But due to circumstances and warranty work, Ant ended up with an extra gun , a one off 29” MK38 trap gun with a full set of long thin wall Teagues !  If that is still about and for sale it could be the answer to your query . Nice stock height , nice barrel weight , pointable . 

The gun will not be an issue but the chokes might be. With tight chokes the shot will not have spread much at skeet distances. I would suggest a few rounds with open chokes with a knot in your pants to remind you to change them back at the end of the day. If you like it then a proper skeet gun (28 inch barrels, open chokes etc) maybe the order of the day - see

I’d say forget about that video, it’s years out of date. Unless you’re shooting Olympic Skeet a 30 or 32 inch multi choke sporter is fine. Alternatively a trap gun with skeet chokes is good. No adjustments save swapping the chokes are necessary.

Oh, and I’d suggest not following David’s advice regarding steering the gun with the upper body, it’s a ticket to missed targets.

With all the adjustments available on today's modern guns, is a dedicated gun (for any discipline) necessary?

One for jan,you realy do need some good hip action,according to one of the greatest.

I guess the trick is not too make the action with the arms, but from the knees and hips.

Vincent Hancock's 'trick' is to hardly move his gun at all, notice how he keeps it within a few degrees of the breaking points of both the clays. He 'stacks' the HH and LH clays, virtually shooting them in the same place. For us mere mortals that's great to aspire to, but incredibly hard to achieve. But if you shoot 120K+ carts a year, you could get there eventually. The point is that he is so experienced that he can "follow" the clays trajectory while still "just pointing" the gun in the right spot to break it. Most if not all of the shooters I know need to at least follow the clay for a part of the trajectory with their gun, and just stabbing it at a desired spot doesn't get them very far.

Most of that movement should come from the waist, but adjusting for height and trajectory of the clay is mostly in the steering hand. Or at least that's how I shoot - mind you I'm not even fractionally near VH's skill level. By comparison I move way way more and need to swing the gun from clay to clay. Surprisingly I do hit a few, but it's inspiring to see how much less effort better shooters need to exert.  

As to the gun question: If you shoot skeet ' just for fun', shoot anything that you have or want. If you want an actual skeet gun I am assuming that you will also want to shoot Olympic Skeet (because the rest is less is skeet for... <edit> I mean less challenging). For skeet I wouldn't recommend anything over 30" (especially not with extended chokes), preferably with light barrels and balanced a bit to the rear. The longer the gun the harder it will be move it quickly. Some shooters prefer 28 inch to 26 even, but with modern barrels its not a requirement. Open chokes are best, SK and SK being preferable for OS.       

Vincent Hancock's 'trick' is to hardly move his gun at all, notice how he keeps it within a few degrees of the breaking points of both the clays. He 'stacks' the HH and LH clays, virtually shooting them in the same place. For us mere mortals that's great to aspire to, but incredibly hard to achieve. But if you shoot 120K+ carts a year, you could get there eventually. The point is that he is so experienced that he can "follow" the clays trajectory while still "just pointing" the gun in the right spot to break it. Most if not all of the shooters I know need to at least follow the clay for a part of the trajectory with their gun, and just stabbing it at a desired spot doesn't get them very far.

Most of that movement should come from the waist, but adjusting for height and trajectory of the clay is mostly in the steering hand. Or at least that's how I shoot - mind you I'm not even fractionally near VH's skill level. By comparison I move way way more and need to swing the gun from clay to clay. Surprisingly I do hit a few, but it's inspiring to see how much less effort better shooters need to exert.  

As to the gun question: If you shoot skeet ' just for fun', shoot anything that you have or want. If you want an actual skeet gun I am assuming that you will also want to shoot Olympic Skeet (because the rest is less is skeet for... <edit> I mean less challenging). For skeet I wouldn't recommend anything over 30" (especially not with extended chokes), preferably with light barrels and balanced a bit to the rear. The longer the gun the harder it will be move it quickly. Some shooters prefer 28 inch to 26 even, but with modern barrels its not a requirement. Open chokes are best, SK and SK being preferable for OS.       
Setting Olympic Skeet aside, which is a completely different version of the game that requires a different technique and equipment, there’s no need for anything fancy. In fact the gun used is somewhere down the list of essentials when it comes to shooting good scores. That said, 26 and 28 inch barrelled guns are tools of the past. Most shoot 30 inch, many shoot 32. 

What’s important is mastering the fundamentals required to shoot consistently. This means using the lower body to drive the move. Let the thighs steer the body to keep the shoulders level and head planted on the stock. In fact it’s these techniques taught by the likes of Todd Bender, Paul Giambrone and the late Wayne Mayes that have seen scores climb over the past 10 years.

I’d advise anyone interested in shooting skeet well to study Todd’s videos. Here’s a short clip…

Setting Olympic Skeet aside, which is a completely different version of the game that requires a different technique and equipment, there’s no need for anything fancy. In fact the gun used is somewhere down the list of essentials when it comes to shooting good scores. That said, 26 and 28 inch barrelled guns are tools of the past. Most shoot 30 inch, many shoot 32. 

What is important is mastering the fundamentals required to shoot consistently. This means using the lower body to drive the move. Let the thighs steer the body to keep the shoulders level and head planted on the stock. 
I agree on the fundamentals bit- as well as that the gun is way less of a factor than the shooter. 

On the continent, or at least here, we shoot two sorts of Skeet: Olympic and Sporting. Both are gun down, as opposed to English skeet? Olympic is tougher due to the timer the amount of pairs and position eight, but in essence the technique isn’t different. 

Maybe that makes equipment a bit less trivial here, or maybe I’m just fussy.

Categorising Olympic skeet as something “wholly different” / requiring different technique and equipment doesn’t ring true to me as such, but it could well be English skeet is a whole different claygame. 

I doubt whether I’d be any good at a gun up variant ☺️

English Skeet (or National Skeet as it’s called in the other home nations) has an optional gun position although almost everyone at the top of the discipline shoots gun up. American Skeet’s also quite popular here and that’s shot exclusively gun up.

Both English and American skeet can and should be shot with maintained lead. That’s near to impossible for Olympic Skeet given the low mount and target speed. This means a completely different technique and gun to suit.

It seems to me that here in Holland sporting skeet is used as the step stone to Olympic skeet. As Luke says, technique, equipment and all are the same. Just easier. I know that if I try to shoot gun up now that I find that more difficult than gun down. That may be the other way around with some practice.

English Skeet (or National Skeet as it’s called in the other home nations) has an optional gun position although almost everyone at the top of the discipline shoots gun up. American Skeet’s also quite popular here and that’s shot exclusively gun up.

Both English and American skeet can and should be shot with maintained lead. That’s near to impossible for Olympic Skeet given the low mount and target speed. This means a completely different technique and gun to suit.
That figures, thanks. I actually know an OS shooter that took a class with Todd Bender touting the benefits of maintained lead, which hasn’t helped his game. I’ll stick with gun down and my carbon-bedazzled 30” 😄

I think it gets to a point when Skeet, whatever the type, is not about technique but entirely about muscle memory. There maybe some technique getting there but after a few 1,000 rounds of 25 its just a process.

I think it gets to a point when Skeet, whatever the type, is not about technique but entirely about muscle memory. There maybe some technique getting there but after a few 1,000 rounds of 25 its just a process.
You’re right. Skeet’s an easy discipline in many respects. You know where the target’s coming from and where it’s going. You know how fast it’s travelling and where it should be broken. In fact, if you’re shooting it properly you’re only dealing with one side of the skeet field at a time.

Fundamentally, if you break skeet down to its component parts you can learn a methodical and repetitive technique to shooting the targets. It’s then just a case of executing perfect form and managing nerves.

Latest posts

Back