Brace yourself

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought that myself, 

Given we only have limited facts, was it a General shotgun licence? or a FAC,  

if the former, a 3 shot pump action would make sense, if the latter,  then indeed some questions would be expected to be asked 

Opportunity to take some heat away from the bullying bad press no doubt

Although have just read that his licence was only just returned to him

Press quote:

The Independent Office for Police Conduct [IOPC] will investigate Devon and Cornwall Police over Davison’s possession of a shotgun and shotgun certificate, which were returned to him last month after being removed in September 2020 following an allegation of assault.

IOPC Regional director David Ford said mandatory referral had been received from the police force on Friday morning, relating to the shooting as well as “police contact with Jake Davison prior to the incident.”

This includes the force’s role and actions regarding firearms licensing, he said.

Mr Ford said: “We will examine what police actions were taken and when, the rationale behind police decision-making, and whether relevant law, policy and procedures were followed concerning Mr Davison’s possession of a shotgun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought that myself, 

Given we only have limited facts, was it a General shotgun licence? or a FAC,  

if the former, a 3 shot pump action would make sense, if the latter,  then indeed some questions would be expected to be asked 
Media reports suggest a licensed pump shotgun. Much too early and not really appropriate to speculate as to what may come of this but probably nothing good.

The police will look for ways to divert responsibility just as they did at Dunblane - and just as they always do  - by briefing the media and pressuring the government to change the licensing laws. It sounds likely that this could have have been avoided and Dunblane certainly would have been avoided if the local police had done their job properly.

The IOPC might conclude it to be an administrative cock up but the cynic me says most probably another whitewash job.

Media reports suggest a licensed pump shotgun. Much too early and not really appropriate to speculate as to what may come of this but probably nothing good.
It  wasn't meant to be speculative in light of what happened, which was awful :(  

more trying to understand what was reported ,  ie A pump action shotgun & FAC cert.  

My understanding being that to get an FAC was more rigorous  application process than a shotgun licence application.  hence i could understand why a review would no doubt

take place  But yes i fear your right nothing good will ultimately come of it   :(

Total and absolute cock up in the licensing protocol....end of. Heads will roll and so they should, it's an absolute tragedy that could and should have been avoided by correct implimentatiion of the licensing criteria.

Total and absolute cock up in the licensing protocol....end of. Heads will roll and so they should, it's an absolute tragedy that could and should have been avoided by correct implimentatiion of the licensing criteria.
A speculative comment, that is unless you work for the Devon and Cornwall Police Firearms Licensing department.

I’m not sure how you can come to such a conclusion just 24 hours after the incident, whilst the scene is still being examined and evidence is still being gathered.

They’ll be an investigation. Any mistakes by the licensing authority will be identified. I’m happy to critique the police if they’ve cocked up but reaching conclusions before the dust’s settled and the facts are known helps nobody.

Reactions: JP.

Any mistakes by the licensing authority will be identified. I’m happy to critique the police if they’ve cocked up but reaching conclusions before the dust’s settled and the facts are known helps nobody.
If the IOPC is actually independent, we might see responsibility correctly assigned to something other than the existing gun laws. We can but hope. But Davison had a family and I know this: If a child of mine had the history of anger & mental issues that he had, I'd advise the police in writing to refuse him a certificate.

More quality journalism from the BBC:

"It is more difficult to get a licence for firearms than for shotguns, because weapons that fire bullets must only be used for specific purposes in specific places. These would include deer stalking or sports shooting on an approved range.

In contrast, shotguns tend to be used in more general rural circumstances, such as by farmers who are protecting livestock from foxes - and police recognise that landowners need guns for pest control"

On this farm and every other farm I know it's the opposite. Centre fire rifles for pest control. I doubt many farmer go to weapon is a shotgun until its game season or pigeon decoying. 

Stopped taking notice of the very biased BBC a long time ago, trouble is I don't have a choice of not paying the license fee even though I hardly tune into them

I like everyone else know nothing of the background of this terrible incident.i like everyone cannog blame the police or any gp.we will have to await the results of investigations into this.the only thing i will say is that a portion of the blame for these type of events should be laid at the door of the home office.there should be rules around which all forces must stick to not guidance.the current system of guidance only serves to give us what we have at the moment a fragmented licensing system where it will be largely the police force that is blamed and not those who should be setting the parameters. 

A tragic and seemingly avoidable incident. The way this government cave's in to media pressure gives me a bad feeling about the future of our sport. I wouldn't be surprised to see a ban on pump action guns.

These things will always happen regardless of the licensing criteria psychotics will flip. I do think it odd that he had an accusation of assault levelled against him and they let him have his guns back.    

I would suggest that he was NEVER convicted or even charged with assault and as a result his gun was returned to him. People with mental issues can be extremely clever at concealing their condition, look at the numbers who have been released back into society and then go on to commit some horrific crimes.  This person was issued with a shotgun certificate in 2020, I would presume that he would have to produce his medical record, signed by a Doctor at that time  ?   

It was removed in September 2020 from him for alledged assult, not sure if it was issued in 2020

Latest posts

Back