A long time coming!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rding

Hi all

Had various have a go experiences over the years and have wanted to take it further but have had dad duties with football and rugby every weekend for the past eleven years so times been limited. I have now served my sentence and I’m officially a free man! Went to the game fair a few weeks ago and it restarted my interest so have done the CPSA shotgun course, applied for my shotgun licence and will be having a few lessons before I get my gun.

Hope to see some of you out there and any tips feel free to throw my way.

I was similar, shot before marriage and children and then life got really busy for over 20 years with family and very demanding jobs.  Finally managed to have enough time to shoot again after the last child [of 4] left home. 

Enjoy your shooting and if I can offer 1 piece of advice, join a local club or 2, you meet so many interesting people to enjoy shooting with who can also be a source of very useful information.

Welcome, this forum is also a source of excellent information and advice.

Welcome! It can be hard to judge the quality of coaching when you are starting out, but try and find someone who will address your stance, mount, pick-up point, hold and so on before they just take you for a round of loud noises. The type that just states “you missed behind” isn’t conducive to improvement, and may install form and habits you’ll want to get rid of later. There’s plenty of info here so try and see if you can find a local recommendation in the ‘coaches’ section.  

Welcome! It can be hard to judge the quality of coaching when you are starting out, but try and find someone who will address your stance, mount, pick-up point, hold and so on before they just take you for a round of loud noises. The type that just states “you missed behind” isn’t conducive to improvement, and may install form and habits you’ll want to get rid of later. There’s plenty of info here so try and see if you can find a local recommendation in the ‘coaches’ section.  
Never had coaching in my day, dont think there was many anyway. We just had mentors and old folk who were willing to befriend a young lad and give him some tips.......the good old days before folk had to pay for tuition 🙄 I will get me coat.

Hi all

Had various have a go experiences over the years and have wanted to take it further but have had dad duties with football and rugby every weekend for the past eleven years so times been limited. I have now served my sentence and I’m officially a free man! Went to the game fair a few weeks ago and it restarted my interest so have done the CPSA shotgun course, applied for my shotgun licence and will be having a few lessons before I get my gun.

Hope to see some of you out there and any tips feel free to throw my way.
Hi and welcome!

You’ll love it I’m sure, and plenty of kind people on here to ask questions of or simply shoot the wind with.

It might help if you let everyone know what neck of the woods you are in... plenty here that would happily introduce you to a local club.

Have fun!

Never had coaching in my day, dont think there was many anyway. We just had mentors and old folk who were willing to befriend a young lad and give him some tips.......the good old days before folk had to pay for tuition 🙄 I will get me coat.
I don't think that went away, IPS. There's plenty of people offering free advice to new shooters at every place I shoot, but in some cases the value of that advice is... commensurate. Personally I think that having one tutor with a good understanding of what you should and shouldn't do and the ability to convey it to you is way more beneficial than having twelve different people offering 13 forms of insight, more often than not contradictory. Whether you should (or would be willing) pay for such tuition is up you and the tutor. If anyone is willing to just help out, that's even better. Unfortunately around here the 'free advice' is only good up to a point, including my own 😄 

I don't think that went away, IPS. There's plenty of people offering free advice to new shooters at every place I shoot, but in some cases the value of that advice is... commensurate. Personally I think that having one tutor with a good understanding of what you should and shouldn't do and the ability to convey it to you is way more beneficial than having twelve different people offering 13 forms of insight, more often than not contradictory. Whether you should (or would be willing) pay for such tuition is up you and the tutor. If anyone is willing to just help out, that's even better. Unfortunately around here the 'free advice' is only good up to a point, including my own 😄 
Valid point 👍

On the downside of all that is what I encountered which was that those most will to help are usually those who know the least and can send the newbie down some difficult paths to retrace.  I've seen a few paid "coaches" who were no more able than that as well. 

Remember that thing about "advice is often worth what you pay for it"?

Latest posts

Back