White tape

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoostB

I like to watch skeet finals on YouTube. Quite often I have seen shooters with white tape around their barrels near the end. And now I am wondering what the purpose is of that tape… 

thnx for enlightening me!

When in the ready position? Or when shooting? I am not sure that I would see it whilst shooting. 

I like to watch skeet finals on YouTube. Quite often I have seen shooters with white tape around their barrels near the end. And now I am wondering what the purpose is of that tape… 

thnx for enlightening me!
It’s just a mechanical aid... They are using a Baikal 🤣

I was wondering the same thing. Between the Krieghoffs, Perazzi’s and DT11’s I don’t suppose it helps to keep the barrels together, but I genuinely have no idea what it would be for. I considered maybe to avoid reflections or mirage over hot barrels, but I doubt just an inch or two of tape would help. Its usually in the same place, though I’ve seen several shooters use it. Next time I’ll ask, but hope to read it here first. 

When in the ready position? Or when shooting? I am not sure that I would see it whilst shooting. 
When shooting.
Muzzle awareness in ready position isn’t a challenge.

ISSF Rule 38. Subsection D paragraph 5h.

It is forbidden to tape your white stick to the barrels and your Labrador must be left in the car or cared for by a significant other , but must remain in the clubhouse.

Please make the referee aware of your failing sight  and others of your mental issues. 

When shooting.
Muzzle awareness in ready position isn’t a challenge.
Is it to make you aware of where you are pointing / swinging relative to the clay? Or to make you more aware of maybe misaligned shouldering? I find it hard to picture checking for this white tape in relation to the clay whilst shooting a pair in OS. Three out of six finalists in the ISSF World Championship OS used it though, so there’s got to be something there… that I’m not seeing.  

Is it to make you aware of where you are pointing / swinging relative to the clay? Or to make you more aware of maybe misaligned shouldering?
The 1st one. Don’t think you’ll be in the finals at a World Championship if you have problems with the 2nd one 😉

😄 I don’t think I’ll be in the WC final even when shouldering spot on, but I’m trying to understand the concept. The way I “look” when shooting OS, I don’t think I’d be very aware of the white tape, unless I was maybe (and incorrectly) looking down one side more than the other. Hence the question, as I can imagine it could help with ‘seeing’ instantly whether you’re looking over the barrel or off to a side. Maybe I’ll just slap on some tape and see what the deal is. 

No one will mistake me for an Olympian, so I can already hear people asking whether my Beretta would fall apart without it. 

Same thing here. I am so far in my gun that I see nearly no rib. That is why I am also wondering how it would give more awareness while shooting. I never have the feeling that I don’t know where the muzzle is. 
Would be nice to hear from someone who uses it what the secret about the tape is. 

The way I “look” when shooting OS, I don’t think I’d be very aware of the white tape, unless I was maybe (and incorrectly) looking down one side more than the other.

I am so far in my gun that I see nearly no rib. That is why I am also wondering how it would give more awareness while shooting. barrels are wider than your rib, so if you wrap the tape completely around the rib and barrels, you’ll see more tape than you would expect.
The barrels are wider than the rib, so if you wrap the tape all around, you’ll see more tape than you would expect.

Just give it a try.
If it doesn’t work for you, you haven’t wasted a lot of money.

The barrels are wider than the rib, so if you wrap the tape all around, you’ll see more tape than you would expect.

Just give it a try.
If it doesn’t work for you, you haven’t wasted a lot of money.
Off to the hardware store to find me some white electrical tape :)  

My understanding is that the white tape is used to make the shooter (Olympic Skeet) aware of where his barrels are whilst in the ready position before calling for the target (an aide memoir?) also very useful when shooting in low light conditions such as dusk.

Interesting… I tend to shoot in daylight and can usually tell where my barrels are. I’ve found some white tape meanwhile and will apply it for Sunday’s skeet rounds, but I am mildly apprehensive of looking like an oaf with tape on his gun for no apparent reason. Will report back, if only to tell you about the snide remarks of my fellow shooters.  

Latest posts

Back