Skeet shot size?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeordieTrapper

Is there a ‘best’ shot size for skeet where most targets are less than 30 yards? I shoot 20g size 7.5 but was told 8 or 9 would pattern better, what is the experience of members? I appreciate if every shot is directly on target shot size is irrelevant, but what about at the pattern edges?

I shoot skeet rarely so stick with 7.5s. 12 guage.

When I was doing so more often I was told to use a 9 and open chokes - skeet & 1/4 or cylinder & skeet though I ended up with skeet & skeet.

The range is such that there is sufficient energy it a 9 for all skeet targets if shot properly !!

I prefer shooting no. 9 shot (continental sizing), though I shoot no. 7 at my regular range because its club-cartridges only. I find the breaks are nicer with 9’s (more pellets) and  its maybe a tad easier to see whether you’re really on the right spot or whether you’re clipping edges. I don’t know if one “patterns better”, but I suppose that 9’s offer a higher density of coverage if spread in the same diameter. Probably all mental though, as I just as easily miss with both. I am however positive that I have never not broken a clay in skeet because of patterning. 

If you’re worried about skeet clays at over thirty yards though, I’d suggest work on timing more than on the cartridge selection. Unless you’re deliberately training by stepping out further, no station is more than 21 yards from the center pole. If you regularly shoot the reverse pairs of a final, you have nothing to worry about as is. 

Is there a ‘best’ shot size for skeet where most targets are less than 30 yards? I shoot 20g size 7.5 but was told 8 or 9 would pattern better, what is the experience of members? I appreciate if every shot is directly on target shot size is irrelevant, but what about at the pattern edges?
Assuming you’re talking about National Skeet, UK size 9 is the load most use for good reason. Some try an 8 for the second target of the middle pair. Express did a 9.5 which was popular for a while but most have switched back.

As others have mentioned it, skeet and skeet are fine for chokes. Certainly no tighter than 1/4.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Some try an 8 for the second target of the middle pair. 
I’ve seen shooters do this, but personally I think its (a) mental (issue). Its another thing to worry about where you should just focus on seeing the targets and shooting them in the right place. Even a single pellet of any size will chip the clay and count, so I don’t see the point in fretting over whether the clay will break with a 7 or 8, but not with a 9. I’ve yet to see that happen. If done correctly, the difference in distance between the first and second clay shot shouldn’t warrant a different choice of cartridge. 

I shoot Olympic Skeet almost exclusively and haven’t felt a need to use different cartridges between on a single round ever. Chokewise skeet & skeet are fine indeed, though I’ve seen some shooters use SK and IC, supposedly because of benefits in shooting the reverse pairs on 3 & 5 (finals). Personally I think the perceived benefit may help, but I don’t think there’s a practical difference of note.   

I have not been shooting clays for so long (1 3/4 years) but have been shooting mostly sporting skeet for the last year. With a round of sporting clays every now and then. I use a cyl and an IC choke since my ultra XS pro didn’t come with skeet chokes. Cartridges are 24/7 steel shot plastic wad. These cartridges and chokes also break the sporting clays at 45 yards. I have never questioned them for being effective enough for skeet for that reason. 

I was talking to a once top class shooter who now runs a gun shop and I asked him a simillar question.

He replied with another question and asked what cartridge shot size would you use for a 45/50 yard clay. I replied 7.5.

He then said ,well if 7.5's break Clay's at that range ,they should break them at 20 yards and less.

Yes but you wouldn't use sheet chokes with 7.5 shot at 45/50 yards. It's the combination of small shot and open chokes that provide an optimum wide but densely populated shot pattern at 21 yards or whatever distance it is.

Yes but you wouldn't use sheet chokes with 7.5 shot at 45/50 yards. It's the combination of small shot and open chokes that provide an optimum wide but densely populated shot pattern at 21 yards or whatever distance it is.
You do if you are me, and forget to change them for ESP after you had a couple of goes on Skeet.

Doh! 

9 shot always the best choice, skeet choking ideal.

Quite a few shooters i know use an 8 shot for the second bird on station 4 pairs.

I shoot skeet on a regular basis with steel shot as lead is not permitted at the club I go to. I would use choke wise skeet an skeet. Cartridge wise I use Gamebore super steel 24g 7.5s or 9s. I would find that I do get really good breaks with the 7.5s. I would stick to the same shell the whole way round each stand.

Another excellent cartridge I sometimes use would be express precision steel in either a 7.5 or 9.

Long story short. One of our prolific County skeet shooters says to me oohhhh you got to have 9s for skeet. A couple of weeks later I beat him and everybody  else to win the County skeet champs. Oh what carts did you you use says he. 

7.5 and 2 quarter chokes says I. And 32" barrels.  (Sporting shooter)

😁🤣😂

Jasper. 

Moral. Just get out and shoot. 

For club shooting, use 9`s, cylinder or skeet chokes, should give you reasonable scores. 

Once you ge more proficient use skeet/skeet, plenty good enough, even for competitions.

Wishing you successful shooting in the future.

Long story short. One of our prolific County skeet shooters says to me oohhhh you got to have 9s for skeet. A couple of weeks later I beat him and everybody  else to win the County skeet champs. Oh what carts did you you use says he. 

7.5 and 2 quarter chokes says I. And 32" barrels.  (Sporting shooter)

😁🤣😂

Jasper. 

Moral. Just get out and shoot. 
Tbf Jasper you are a pretty decent AA sporting shot, most of us need every advantage (as many pellets as possible and these to be spread as wide as possible) to compete. County champ too 👏

It was a couple of years ago.

But anyhow  , far too many folk get wrapped up in this gun, this choke, this cartridge,  this pellet size and it all distracts the brain from concentrating on the job in hand . 

Just put it in the right place and it will break the target. Simples. 

Jasper. 

Tbf Jasper you are a pretty decent AA sporting shot, most of us need every advantage (as many pellets as possible and these to be spread as wide as possible) to compete. County champ too 👏
Yep but a prolific "expert" skeet shot who says 9's are the dogs, should be able to beat me at his chosen discipline.  😉 

Didn’t RF win a big skeet shoot a few years back, using 6.5s? Obviously it’s all about where you point the gun. 9 shot simply gives a margin for error, which isn’t needed if you don’t make any errors of course..

Yep . Rumour has it he used 2 full choke also. But could be another one of those club house stories we all love. 

Incidentally the pattern size will be the same regardless of shot size (for a given  choke/cartridge) so not sure where there margin for error comes in. 9's just fill in the gaps . 

Merry Xmas 

Jasper. 

Yep . Rumour has it he used 2 full choke also. But could be another one of those club house stories we all love. 

Incidentally the pattern size will be the same regardless of shot size (for a given  choke/cartridge) so not sure where there margin for error comes in. 9's just fill in the gaps . 

Merry Xmas 

Jasper. 
Just not true mate. I’ve patterned a lot of cartridges and the trend (not the rule) is that larger shot creates a much smaller diameter. At 15 yards with 1/4 choke a 7 shot pattern is usually around 13” circle while some 9 shots are 22”.

If you think of being off-centre with your shot, only half the difference is on offer, so cartridges will find you just a few inches of error. 

Back