Stock finish on new silver pigeon 3

Steve1970

Just got a  silver pig .the blurb says an oil finished stock ,but I'm not so sure?

What are they finishing these stocks with because I  can't seem to get any oil into it😂

Edited by Steve1970
Predictive text

I believe beretta use a "tru oil" type finish, if you look at the oil they retail it certainly looks like it 

If the oil just sits on the top, then it has been sealed.

Are you trying to improve the finish or just maintain it?

I’ll second the tru-oil, and mind that its usually quite heavily pigmented to give each stock a very even finish colour-wise. I’ve taken off Beretta “stock” finishes (pun intended) and found nicer grain than expected hidden under brown slurry. 

I like an oiled finnish. So at the moment it's sitting in the sink coated in stripper.

have got cc l walnut stain and plan to finish it with oil 🤔

T u n g or linseed ?

Traditional finish is boiled linseed oil, takes a long time to get a perfect finish, so see you shooting in about 6 months then 😁

On 7/21/2021 at 8:35 PM, Steve1970 said:

I like an oiled finnish. So at the moment it's sitting in the sink coated in stripper.

have got cc l walnut stain and plan to finish it with oil 🤔

T u n g or linseed ?

I wouldn't go for a walnut stain.

Go for Alkanet oil to bring out any figure, then finishing oil.

I have done several stocks with the Trade Secrets kit.

You could also get some Slippery Dicks alkanet oil and 'stock oil', which will build to a nice sheen, or you can use his finishing oil for a high gloss finish.

Top it off with wax.

I did this stock with Trade Secrets and wax.IMG-20210313-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.f56ca9d3b78994287c9a201cba043b61.jpegIMG-20210313-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.f908cf5043daf9486d64b5f434f90f21.jpeg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steve1970 said:

Wow that is impresive😮

Yeah, took a while but looks nice.

I only had the thing 3 hours before it was in bits and being sanded!

IMG_20210206_113332.thumb.jpg.674268abccf2a21c2f48b8fdbb87f01f.jpg

29 minutes ago, Steve1970 said:

Wow that is impresive😮

This one had a few coats of Alkanet (red) oil first. Brings out the darker grain, before you oil it.

IMG_20210717_133003.thumb.jpg.2b99021f9390518ad43b44a3bfd46a08.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got the stock finished. The only problem being I can't hit anything with it as the comb is too low. It felt great in the shop

The only way to hit anything is to cover the clay with the barrels😥

Have traded it in now for a 694. Got my highest ever score(practice only) first time out with on sat.

A real confidence booster.now the stock apart from waxing it in not doing anything to it!!

All's well that ends well (apart from a depleted wallet and 40 hours of my time)🤔

Congratulations, I suppose? Hope the 694 works out! As for spending time on a stock that ends being replaced… let’s just say it’s good practice 😇 

Did you buy one with an adjustable comb?

Yep adjustable comb though I have only raised it by 5mm.I'm presuming this gun just fits me better.

The palm swell and 3 position trigger helps(short fingers) but apart from that seems very similar to the silver pig stock. Thicker trap comb excluded.🤔