Stock finish on new silver pigeon 3

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1970

Just got a  silver pig .the blurb says an oil finished stock ,but I'm not so sure?

What are they finishing these stocks with because I  can't seem to get any oil into it😂

Last edited by a moderator:
If the oil just sits on the top, then it has been sealed.

Are you trying to improve the finish or just maintain it?

I’ll second the tru-oil, and mind that its usually quite heavily pigmented to give each stock a very even finish colour-wise. I’ve taken off Beretta “stock” finishes (pun intended) and found nicer grain than expected hidden under brown slurry. 

I like an oiled finnish. So at the moment it's sitting in the sink coated in stripper.

have got cc l walnut stain and plan to finish it with oil 🤔

T u n g or linseed ?

I like an oiled finnish. So at the moment it's sitting in the sink coated in stripper.

have got cc l walnut stain and plan to finish it with oil 🤔

T u n g or linseed ?
I wouldn't go for a walnut stain.

Go for Alkanet oil to bring out any figure, then finishing oil.

I have done several stocks with the Trade Secrets kit.

You could also get some Slippery Dicks alkanet oil and 'stock oil', which will build to a nice sheen, or you can use his finishing oil for a high gloss finish.

Top it off with wax.

I did this stock with Trade Secrets and wax.View attachment 8570View attachment 8571

Well I finally got the stock finished. The only problem being I can't hit anything with it as the comb is too low. It felt great in the shop

The only way to hit anything is to cover the clay with the barrels😥

Have traded it in now for a 694. Got my highest ever score(practice only) first time out with on sat.

A real confidence booster.now the stock apart from waxing it in not doing anything to it!!

All's well that ends well (apart from a depleted wallet and 40 hours of my time)🤔

Congratulations, I suppose? Hope the 694 works out! As for spending time on a stock that ends being replaced… let’s just say it’s good practice 😇 

Did you buy one with an adjustable comb?

Yep adjustable comb though I have only raised it by 5mm.I'm presuming this gun just fits me better.

The palm swell and 3 position trigger helps(short fingers) but apart from that seems very similar to the silver pig stock. Thicker trap comb excluded.🤔

Back