Jump to content

ESP, CPSA reg - squadding can end


GlawsterCodger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Released on webpage 15th July by CPSA that in respect of registered sporting events that as from 19th July grounds can offer “squadded” or “turn up on day” entries. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose this is good news but looking at the numbers I cannot see this is very sensible or likely to be allowed for too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Freddypip said:

I suppose this is good news but looking at the numbers I cannot see this is very sensible or likely to be allowed for too long.

yeah it makes  shooting a tad easier , but as you say the numbers are scary !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not looking forward to it. Hated the idea of squadding in the beginning but quickly came to realise it’s much quicker and easier. I’ve also met and shot with some great people I otherwise probably would never have even spoken to.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grounds will decide which is best for them I suppose. Adam at Grange Farm is going no booking. Richard at Owls has stated that Owls will be squads up until the clocks change, as it then becomes restrictive to get the numbers through during the winter months. I was at Hangmans stone at the weekend for a play, and Stella said after the 8th August , both Hangmans and Gunsite will not require booking.

Edited by tiptop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like a sensible approach by Mr Faulds.  I can see the benefits of squads, but in the winter the flexibility of just turning up makes sense to me.  I'm much less likely to book into a shoot weeks in advance in the winter.  I'd rather have a look at what the weather is doing the day before / on the day and make a decision then.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, tiptop said:

Grounds will decide which is best for them I suppose. Adam at Grange Farm is going no booking. Richard at Owls has stated that Owls will be squads up until the clocks change, as it then becomes restrictive to get the numbers through during the winter months. I was at Hangmans stone at the weekend for a play, and Stella said after the 8th August , both Hangmans and Gunsite will not require booking.

Bad news for me as far as Gunsite is concerned, it’s a really popular ground and has taken me 3.5-4 hrs to complete a round when busy which stopped me going there for a while, squadding cut that time in half and worked brilliantly, probably won’t go there too often when the free for all returns.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, FloodDefence said:

Bad news for me as far as Gunsite is concerned, it’s a really popular ground and has taken me 3.5-4 hrs to complete a round when busy which stopped me going there for a while, squadding cut that time in half and worked brilliantly, probably won’t go there too often when the free for all returns.

Fully agree. Great place to shoot and Sean's a great bloke but as you say, it can take hours to get round.

I asked Steve Nutbeam at Longridge about this a few weeks ago and at that time he thought he wouldn't be going back to fully reffed turn up and shoot.

Be interesting to hear what Barbury's plans are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Westward said:

 

Be interesting to hear what Barbury's plans are.

As their registered shoots, sportrap and sporting, are predominately mid-week and summer months, I would imagine it will be squads. As you say it will be interesting to see what their plans are.

Edited by tiptop
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Westward said:

Fully agree. Great place to shoot and Sean's a great bloke but as you say, it can take hours to get round.

I asked Steve Nutbeam at Longridge about this a few weeks ago and at that time he thought he wouldn't be going back to fully reffed turn up and shoot.

Be interesting to hear what Barbury's plans are.

Longridge has announced on FB that next shoot will NOT be squadded, think entires are 10.00-1500.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy with the squadding system, especially on weekends when I like to get out early and get my shooting done.

Knowing that it's going to take a couple of hours at the most suits me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw on FB that after the next few shoots Steve Lovett has said it will be squaded on his shoots until 11.30 (I think) then anyone can turn up, that way if you are doing a few you know you can get round and away for others in the day.  Good idea. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, donna said:

I saw on FB that after the next few shoots Steve Lovett has said it will be squaded on his shoots until 11.30 (I think) then anyone can turn up, that way if you are doing a few you know you can get round and away for others in the day.  Good idea. 

That sounds like a really good compromise, as long as the squads keep full till 11.30 I can see that being a good system to keep both types of shooter happy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonny English said:

That sounds like a really good compromise, as long as the squads keep full till 11.30 I can see that being a good system to keep both types of shooter happy.

How’s that going to work? Does the 11:30 squad have to complete the shoot before the non squadded shooters go out or can non squadded shooters go out at 11:45 in which case it will slow down the squadded shooters…. Confused.com….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jonz said:

How’s that going to work? Does the 11:30 squad have to complete the shoot before the non squadded shooters go out or can non squadded shooters go out at 11:45 in which case it will slow down the squadded shooters…. Confused.com….

Any non squaded shooters starting after 11.30 have to shoot the stands in order. Then they don't interfere with the squads already out, but have the flexibility to just turn up and shoot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a real fan of the squadding system, I'll be preferring grounds that offer it over those that do not. I heard complaints yesterday from shooters that it took 3 hours to shoot Grange as they were back to a free for all.

It's a more professional approach and more closely mimics major shoots. Imagine turning up to a golf course and picking and choosing the holes you want to shoot in a random order.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2021 at 12:19 AM, Jonny English said:

Any non squaded shooters starting after 11.30 have to shoot the stands in order. Then they don't interfere with the squads already out, but have the flexibility to just turn up and shoot.

This will be OK until a load of shooters all turn up at 11.30 to shoot, and there is a massive queue at stand 1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tiptop said:

This will be OK until a load of shooters all turn up at 11.30 to shoot, and there is a massive queue at stand 1.

There is the option to book onto a squad or turn up later, so if you have to queue at 11.30 that's a personal choice.  At least you know that barring trap breakdowns and refilling, you shouldn't have a significant queue after the first stand.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently Grange Farm was just full open entries on Sunday with people shooting stands in any order they liked and there were some decent queues around the ground. Mate of mine shot it and he said it was a right balls up in places.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bebo said:

There is the option to book onto a squad or turn up later, so if you have to queue at 11.30 that's a personal choice.  At least you know that barring trap breakdowns and refilling, you shouldn't have a significant queue after the first stand.

Exactly, you have the option to book into a squad. Assuming all the squads a full, and a lot of people turn up for the 11.30 kick off. The last squad of 6 moves off, the next group might only be a couple of shooters, the next may be 3, these groups will be constantly queueing behind the last squad as they will catch them straight away, and it will just be a knock on effect. Not only will people be turning up that are happy to start later, but will probably have the people turning up for their second shoot of the day. Will be interesting to see the feed back when it happens.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 12:30 PM, Doug Pinnegar said:

I'm a real fan of the squadding system, I'll be preferring grounds that offer it over those that do not. I heard complaints yesterday from shooters that it took 3 hours to shoot Grange as they were back to a free for all.

It's a more professional approach and more closely mimics major shoots. Imagine turning up to a golf course and picking and choosing the holes you want to shoot in a random order.

Was at a squadded shoot at weekend, two minor breakdowns = 3hours, previous weekend the squadded shoot at Bath was hearing that was another 3 hour event, so no, long shoots are not the sole preserve of the free for all entry shoot.
 

The fellows at Grange, simply by being there at the time they were part of the crowd causing the perceived delays?? Been in that situation myself, look around a busy course start to think that its too much only to realise Im there so also part of the “problem” 
 

Like many I will enjoy the new freedom to pick n choose when I go out, if weather truly horrid, might stay indoors, no guilt / having to go seeing that Ive booked / made an obligation. Oh and theres the want to be starting early & not giving two hoots how long Im there, pre booking can gobble up the early spots.

Not every registered shoot needs to be like a major shoot, lord knows theres a “big shoot” near every weekend, most of us just want a well thought out balanced course and a few chums to rabbit with at beginning and end, not a fan of the need to be ultra social during, and no Im not a fan of racing around in an hour just because one is first squad out etc, 

Golf, yep book your tee time off you go, but thats a min 3 hours if your pretty decent & more importantly that the hackers in front of you are too, otherwise??

Not meant to read like a long winded whinge, aware we are all different etc, as long as you enjoy your day out and more importantly get something positive out of each and every shoot.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 12:30 PM, Doug Pinnegar said:

I'm a real fan of the squadding system, I'll be preferring grounds that offer it over those that do not. I heard complaints yesterday from shooters that it took 3 hours to shoot Grange as they were back to a free for all.

It's a more professional approach and more closely mimics major shoots. Imagine turning up to a golf course and picking and choosing the holes you want to shoot in a random order.

Didn’t take me 3hrs to shoot it but it’s also a fair walk around now.  Very pleasant actually. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...