ESP, CPSA reg - squadding can end

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose this is good news but looking at the numbers I cannot see this is very sensible or likely to be allowed for too long.

Grounds will decide which is best for them I suppose. Adam at Grange Farm is going no booking. Richard at Owls has stated that Owls will be squads up until the clocks change, as it then becomes restrictive to get the numbers through during the winter months. I was at Hangmans stone at the weekend for a play, and Stella said after the 8th August , both Hangmans and Gunsite will not require booking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a sensible approach by Mr Faulds.  I can see the benefits of squads, but in the winter the flexibility of just turning up makes sense to me.  I'm much less likely to book into a shoot weeks in advance in the winter.  I'd rather have a look at what the weather is doing the day before / on the day and make a decision then.

Grounds will decide which is best for them I suppose. Adam at Grange Farm is going no booking. Richard at Owls has stated that Owls will be squads up until the clocks change, as it then becomes restrictive to get the numbers through during the winter months. I was at Hangmans stone at the weekend for a play, and Stella said after the 8th August , both Hangmans and Gunsite will not require booking.
Bad news for me as far as Gunsite is concerned, it’s a really popular ground and has taken me 3.5-4 hrs to complete a round when busy which stopped me going there for a while, squadding cut that time in half and worked brilliantly, probably won’t go there too often when the free for all returns.

Bad news for me as far as Gunsite is concerned, it’s a really popular ground and has taken me 3.5-4 hrs to complete a round when busy which stopped me going there for a while, squadding cut that time in half and worked brilliantly, probably won’t go there too often when the free for all returns.
Fully agree. Great place to shoot and Sean's a great bloke but as you say, it can take hours to get round.

I asked Steve Nutbeam at Longridge about this a few weeks ago and at that time he thought he wouldn't be going back to fully reffed turn up and shoot.

Be interesting to hear what Barbury's plans are.

As their registered shoots, sportrap and sporting, are predominately mid-week and summer months, I would imagine it will be squads. As you say it will be interesting to see what their plans are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fully agree. Great place to shoot and Sean's a great bloke but as you say, it can take hours to get round.

I asked Steve Nutbeam at Longridge about this a few weeks ago and at that time he thought he wouldn't be going back to fully reffed turn up and shoot.

Longridge has announced on FB that next shoot will NOT be squadded, think entires are 10.00-1500.

I saw on FB that after the next few shoots Steve Lovett has said it will be squaded on his shoots until 11.30 (I think) then anyone can turn up, that way if you are doing a few you know you can get round and away for others in the day.  Good idea. 

I saw on FB that after the next few shoots Steve Lovett has said it will be squaded on his shoots until 11.30 (I think) then anyone can turn up, that way if you are doing a few you know you can get round and away for others in the day.  Good idea. 
That sounds like a really good compromise, as long as the squads keep full till 11.30 I can see that being a good system to keep both types of shooter happy.

That sounds like a really good compromise, as long as the squads keep full till 11.30 I can see that being a good system to keep both types of shooter happy.
How’s that going to work? Does the 11:30 squad have to complete the shoot before the non squadded shooters go out or can non squadded shooters go out at 11:45 in which case it will slow down the squadded shooters…. Confused.com….

How’s that going to work? Does the 11:30 squad have to complete the shoot before the non squadded shooters go out or can non squadded shooters go out at 11:45 in which case it will slow down the squadded shooters…. Confused.com….
Any non squaded shooters starting after 11.30 have to shoot the stands in order. Then they don't interfere with the squads already out, but have the flexibility to just turn up and shoot.

I'm a real fan of the squadding system, I'll be preferring grounds that offer it over those that do not. I heard complaints yesterday from shooters that it took 3 hours to shoot Grange as they were back to a free for all.

It's a more professional approach and more closely mimics major shoots. Imagine turning up to a golf course and picking and choosing the holes you want to shoot in a random order.

Any non squaded shooters starting after 11.30 have to shoot the stands in order. Then they don't interfere with the squads already out, but have the flexibility to just turn up and shoot.
This will be OK until a load of shooters all turn up at 11.30 to shoot, and there is a massive queue at stand 1.

This will be OK until a load of shooters all turn up at 11.30 to shoot, and there is a massive queue at stand 1.
There is the option to book onto a squad or turn up later, so if you have to queue at 11.30 that's a personal choice.  At least you know that barring trap breakdowns and refilling, you shouldn't have a significant queue after the first stand.

Apparently Grange Farm was just full open entries on Sunday with people shooting stands in any order they liked and there were some decent queues around the ground. Mate of mine shot it and he said it was a right balls up in places.

Back