Another price increase

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK421

Just confirmed on my next order a price increase of 7-10%. Getting ridiculous now 

Across the board, or just one manufacturer?

Steve.
Across the board mate. Hull and Gamebore, guessing it will vary, but an increase non the less. Be nothing sub £200/1000 anymore 

Thanks for the bad news. 😁

That will do nothing to encourage more folks into the sport.

Steve.

Thanks for the bad news. 😁

That will do nothing to encourage more folks into the sport.

Steve.
I totally agree, chatting with some of the old boys today who said they remember £80/1000. 
coupled with the price increase in March as well, it really is taking the P155. 
so we either vote with our feet and stop shooting or cut down on how many clays we shoot, which in turn provides less money/profit to the clubs we shoot at. Next the clay price will go up and clubs, less people will shoot and clubs will start to shut. Long term End result is nobody wins and we all loose out. I love this sport but I’m seriously rethinking my spend. I shoot average 400pw, first thing I’ll do is drop to 300… very very sad and annoying. 

would be interested to know what the 30k price point is compared to 10k? Anyone out there know? 

yeah sad news  ,  i know the experts say its a tiny increase  , but  people with children , mortgages , car to run etc     its all relative expense !!   as above not helping to recruit youngsters to our great sport !!   it wont help our sport going forward  long-term  !!!   

I was told last week at Shooters world there will be a price increase on new stock so I got 500 gamebore evo 28gram fibre at £117

neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by the events Ive recently been too almost all are busier than ever, for quite a few I doubt that a 7/10 or even 15% increase on cartridges will dampen the almost addictive need to go clay shooting.  Growth in clay shooting, in this neck of the woods its overwhelmingly from the "older" generation and yes this due to cost / disposable income, will there ever be such a volume of new shooters from those deemed as youngsters, no I doubt it, and its not just the cost, today there is a vast deal of competition for the youngsters time and most of these are a lot lot more attractive propositions than oft being ankle deep in mud / froze / wet spending an unbelievable amount of very hard earned cash. 

Seems more popular than ever in East Anglia, lots more money saved from Covid restrictions, may bite longer term but seen nothing to suggest it yet, i may start to shoot budget rather than mid range, that will save a tenner a slab

I expect they think everyone will stock up therefore short term profit. Many did that first time around.

The next phase of the UK Customs/Tariff controls has kicked off now, previously everything that came if from the EU was tariff free (so no Customs duty). As of this month I believe it has become stricter so the products coming in that are made of multiple components (i.e. cartridges) where some bits are being sourced from outside the EU have duty applied to the effected components..which pushes the prices up. 

Seems more popular than ever in East Anglia, lots more money saved from Covid restrictions, may bite longer term but seen nothing to suggest it yet, i may start to shoot budget rather than mid range, that will save a tenner a slab
I don't know anybody who shoots that would really be effected by a 10% increase on a price of €250 which an expensive cartridge here if like me you shoot 125- 130 cartridges on 100 trap targets an average weekend it is only  €3.25 now I have to say that shooting has never at any time been a cheap sport to partake in most people shoot a number of clays not how much they can afford. Just my opinion though.

I don't know anybody who shoots that would really be effected by a 10% increase on a price of €250 which an expensive cartridge here if like me you shoot 125- 130 cartridges on 100 trap targets an average weekend it is only  €3.25 now I have to say that shooting has never at any time been a cheap sport to partake in most people shoot a number of clays not how much they can afford. Just my opinion though.
Fair comment, but for some perspective in the last 5 months, we’ve seen 2 increases totalling 20%, which is considerable considering Lead prices have remained pretty constant for the last 10 years.  Cashing in and jumping on the Covid bandwagon isn’t the done thing in my opinion. 

BA471EC3-BBE3-42B7-9338-549FD8FDDFD0.jpeg

The other thing to consider is that youngsters coming into the sport are generally introduced and funded by another generation. I’ve seen plenty of young guys shoot when dad is paying ,  Dad is driving them to shoots , but real life kicks in at a certain age . It’s nothing to do with the cost of shooting , it’s more to do with the competition for the same cash . Be it mortgages,  clubbing , the opposite sex , motorbikes , football , cars …. The list is endless , and you can only spend it once . Those youngsters who enjoy shooting more that any other pastime will continue , those who don’t , and don’t want to spend every weekend with their parents won’t , and  will pursue other interests 

I heard today that Lyalvale prices are increased from Monday, 12th.

Steve.

Fair comment, but for some perspective in the last 5 months, we’ve seen 2 increases totalling 20%, which is considerable considering Lead prices have remained pretty constant for the last 10 years.  Cashing in and jumping on the Covid bandwagon isn’t the done thing in my opinion. 

View attachment 8672
Is it the price of lead that is driving the prices of cartridges up ? Could it be oil prices transferring through into transport and plastic costs ? What is evident is that there will be a tipping point at which point fewer cartridges will be sold and that will in itself create pricing issues, or has this point already been reached and price rises are due to manufacturers having to increase prices to just make a profit. We are constantly told there is no profit in cartridges... is that making or selling them? I personally refuse to believe there is no money to be made in cartridge manufacture and sales. In shooting the cheapest thing most people will buy is in fact their shotgun although it has the highest price tag cartridge costs will out strip most in no time... 

Is it the price of lead that is driving the prices of cartridges up ? Could it be oil prices transferring through into transport and plastic costs ? What is evident is that there will be a tipping point at which point fewer cartridges will be sold and that will in itself create pricing issues, or has this point already been reached and price rises are due to manufacturers having to increase prices to just make a profit. We are constantly told there is no profit in cartridges... is that making or selling them? I personally refuse to believe there is no money to be made in cartridge manufacture and sales. In shooting the cheapest thing most people will buy is in fact their shotgun although it has the highest price tag cartridge costs will out strip most in no time... 
the cost of lead has been pretty even for the last 10 years, rising and falling but within a constant margin. Duty from EU on cartridge components is around a 2.5% increase since brexit, so not really reflective of the increase of 20%. Material shortages due to shipping issues (some boat got stuck somewhere once upon a time that caused massive global issues and still is) plus driver shortages willing to come to the UK, plus increased demand as everyone is outdoors shooting the crap out of anything that moves, all adds up to increasing margins and profits. 
courious to know how self loading would cost out now compared to off the shelf. Your average £200/1000 now costs £240+/1000

the cost of lead has been pretty even for the last 10 years, rising and falling but within a constant margin. Duty from EU is around 2.5% increase since brexit, so not really reflective of the increase of 20%. Material shortages due to shipping issues (some boat got stuck somewhere once upon a time that caused massive global issues and still is) plus driver shortages willing to come to the UK, plus increased demand as everyone is outdoors shooting the crap out of anything that moves, all adds up to increasing margins and profits. 
So what we are seeing is a not unexpected cartridge manufacturing industry taking advantage of positive market conditions? Seems a sensible thing to do after all there would be no point in them increasing prices of a product that has no buyers?

courious to know how self loading would cost out now compared to off the shelf. Your average £200/1000 now costs £240+/1000
Heavily dependent on how much you would charge for your own time ⏳💸

Back