More lead, more dead

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
To the person that follows this forum and asked me about shot loads last weekend (very sorry, I’ve forgotten your name), here’s the video I mentioned…

Steel has a lot more BB's per gram. It is not as good at range as lead though.

I understand that there`s a video on Youtube showing Nick Hendricks breaking clays at 125 yards (one hundred and twenty-five yards) with 32g steel number 5`s. Very impressive with any shot and beyond the capabilities of steel shot ballistics according to many pundits.

I`ve not tried steel personally but sadly I suppose the day will come.

But how many attempts did it take to finally break it, (having watched it) and realistically how often are you ever going to take a shot like that anyway

A better way would have been to do a round of 100 clays in a competition with steel instead of lead then see

But how much energy is needed to break a clay? 

Really, whys that as everybody will be in the same boat and using steel
Fine if your gun is proofed for steel! It may be that my Perazzi could use steel shot cartridges but it is an old gun and not proofed for steel.

Fine if your gun is proofed for steel! It may be that my Perazzi could use steel shot cartridges but it is an old gun and not proofed for steel.
And you will pack up shooting because of that and not get another shotgun then 😞

And you will pack up shooting because of that and not get another shotgun then 😞

Why on gods good earth would I want to spend a huge amounts of cash on a gun to replace what is arguably the best clay target shooting gun ever made ? Add to that I am fast approaching the point where I need glasses to see the targets ... nope when lead goes I'll stop. If you think about it though many thousands of shotguns will become obsolete when lead goes... is that the cunning plan to get rid of lots of shotguns knowing many people will not replace them. Anyway lead shot as a hazard in a controlled environment is as everybody knows a total myth put about to stop hunting in its tracks as a pollutant lead from lead shotgun pellets does not even register in the grand scheme of things bt as said is a great tool to get rid of hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why on gods good earth would I want to spend a huge amounts of cash on a gun to replace what is arguably the best clay target shooting gun ever made ? Add to that I am fast approaching the point where I need glasses to see the targets ... nope when lead goes I'll stop. If you think about it though many thousands of shotguns will become obsolete when lead goes... is that the cunning plan to get rid of lots of shotguns knowing many people will not replace them. Anyway lead shot as a hazard in a controlled environment is as everybody knows a total myth put about to stop hunting in its tracks as a pollutant lead from lead shotgun pellets does not even register in the grand scheme of things bt as said is a great tool to get rid of hunting.
Keep it in the gun cabinet, take it out and polish it now and again and think of the good old days then I suppose 😉

Sadly, I think many others will do the same. Not necessarily because of the risk of gun damage, concerning though that is, but because the sport will change beyond comprehension.

Even without the switch the steel shot clay shooting in the UK probably only has 10-15 years left. You’d be a fool to make a significant investment in an activity that’s gradually on its way out.

Sadly, I think many others will do the same. Not necessarily because of the risk of gun damage, concerning though that is, but because the sport will change beyond comprehension.

Even without the switch the steel shot the clay shooting in the UK probably only has 10-15 years left. You’d be a fool to make a significant investment in an activity that’s gradually on its way out.
Certainly didn't seem that way at the sporting shoot (non competition) I went to today.

Certainly didn't seem that way at the sporting shoot (non competition) I went to today.
The shooting sports are caught in a perfect storm of an almost complete lack of mainstream media coverage, increasingly burdensome legislation, an ageing demographic and ever stringent environmental pressures. The impact’s visible now in ground closures and rising participation costs. What’s more, we’ve a governing body that talks a good game but has very little influence or power. Unlike the NRA, there’s nobody fighting our corner.

There is some hope. Shooting indoors is a opportunity worth looking at. Following the NI model would help keep costs down.

Though it pains me to say it, the sport in an organised fashion will eventually perish. 10-15 years is my bet.

Latest posts

Back