Coaching from a multiple world champion (a real one)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
Michael Diamond, multiple olympic gold medalist and one of the finest shooters of his generation, is now offering coaching worldwide.

Details via his Facebook page:

69FD26D1-E798-4D93-A85A-C77BEA50199D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy can shoot when he is not messing around with muscle cars .  

Jose Mourinho, great coach, average footballer, Paulo di Canio, sublime footballer but a terrible coach…….just sayin 😉

Jose Mourinho, great coach, average footballer, Paulo di Canio, sublime footballer but a terrible coach…….just sayin 😉
A great sportsman doesn't necessarily make a good coach, but it also doesn't necessarily make them a bad one either.

What about Johan Cruyff, Kenny Dalglish or Franz Beckenbauer? All three had great careers as players and coaches, winning plenty of silverware in both roles.

If you look at solo sports, there are even more examples.

A great sportsman doesn't necessarily make a good coach, but it also doesn't necessarily make them a bad one either.

What about Johan Cruyff, Kenny Dalglish or Franz Beckenbauer? All three had great careers as players and coaches, winning plenty of silverware in both roles.

If you look at solo sports, there are even more examples.
I agree, I’m just questioning this perception that being a world champion automatically makes one a great coach. I’d happily concede many do, but an equal number do not. Added to that, it sometimes appears there are more coaches with World Champion status, than those without, it’s like kick boxing, I’ve met four “world champions” without having any interest in the sport.

The guy I see happily admits he’s not the best natural shot, he’s had to work hard to get to any kind of decent standard, but he’s a great coach and a coaching instructor. Happily, he doesn’t come with the “former World Champion” premium !

I have through a long time competing in international competition ,all be it in a category some people put in the aww didn't they do well having a go camp(disabled sitting) have been very lucky to mix with and get know some of the outright best champions of most disciplines in shooting.

Over the years a lot have given advice and some even free time to address problems in my shooting.I have also had advice and well meaning help from coaches/instructors who haven't won anything at the top level in shooting.

In my experience i can tell you the top international shots (ive had help from) seem to see things almost in slow motion with a greater break down of whats happening through the shot and here's the vital point ,the very good coaches can communicate that very well whilst other top shots that dont make good coaches cant.

Added to that, it sometimes appears there are more coaches with World Champion status, than those without, it’s like kick boxing, I’ve met four “world champions” without having any interest in the sport.
That’s because they’re Wold Champions in name only. Take, for example the World ABT championship. Can you honestly claim to be a World Champion if almost the entire entry is British? The same can be said for most other domestic disciplines.

That’s not to diminish the achievement of the winner. They’ve shot well to top the leaderboard but a World Champion? Not really.

The only true World class shooters are found shooting ISSF events where success can be measured against genuine international competition.

The only true World class shooters are found shooting ISSF events where success can be measured against genuine international competition.
World fitasc sporting has a big enough number of top level shooters from different nations to be well and truly world class and there's even the odd olympic gold medallist who's quite good at it😂 and issf world cup winners.Fixed discipline games are very boring extremely frustrating and need huge dedication to be at the top and a good (not even great) sporting shot can earn more as a coach with the much bigger client pool than the less participated issf stuff hence the reason not many do both although they are just as talented but in different games.

I agree, I’m just questioning this perception that being a world champion automatically makes one a great coach. I’d happily concede many do, but an equal number do not. Added to that, it sometimes appears there are more coaches with World Champion status, than those without, it’s like kick boxing, I’ve met four “world champions” without having any interest in the sport.

The guy I see happily admits he’s not the best natural shot, he’s had to work hard to get to any kind of decent standard, but he’s a great coach and a coaching instructor. Happily, he doesn’t come with the “former World Champion” premium !
There’s no one on this game that hasn’t been world champion thats ANY good as a coach

A chicken and an egg are sitting in a pub having a quite drink.

The chicken says,

" I wonder which came first - the coach or the world champion"

The egg says,

"Who gives a s**t - its taken 5 months for the pub to open so lets get another beer and chat up the girls".

Nonsense.
Well I’m allowed to disagree with an experienced DTL shooter surely. I’m spend more time on a shooting ground than anyone. I teach more than anyone and I see more shooters than anyone so I have a seriously valid base to make my opinion: 

Yourself of course can also have a opinion it doesn’t make anyone right or wrong and the people can choose who knows more about this sport and who to listen too. 

Well I’m allowed to disagree with an experienced DTL shooter surely. I’m spend more time on a shooting ground than anyone. I teach more than anyone and I see more shooters than anyone so I have a seriously valid base to make my opinion: 

Yourself of course can also have a opinion it doesn’t make anyone right or wrong and the people can choose who knows more about this sport and who to listen too. 
Of course you can disagree. My opinion is just that, you take it or leave as you please. 

You cannot equate championship success with coaching ability though and to suggest nobody that hasn’t been a world champion can cut it as a coach is obviously wrong. Without giving it a great deal of thought I can think of several top line coaches in the UK and overseas that only had mediocre success as competitors.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that.

My experience growing up in the equestrian world was that more often the highly talented top shots were not to best coaches (some exceptions of course). Much of what they do came so natural to them that they don’t know how to explain what they are doing. People who had to struggle more to reach a certain level sometimes knew much better how to teach. Because they had to learn step by step as well. Once you are at the top as well the champions can help you much better. They see small details that the not to talented ones have no idea about. 
so perhaps it depends on where you are whether someone can make a difference as a coach to you or not. 

Agreed but step into the world of sporting, the formula 1 and no world champion that’s coached has been coached by someone other than a world champion. 

we’re a simple sport if u can’t do it u can’t teach it. 

Latest posts

Back