Hi everyone. Dave here. New starter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazydave

Hi everyone, new starter here. Hope your all well and enjoying the sunshine.

I've been shooting clays ect for about 25 years- although you wouldn't think so to see me shoot..

Hoping to share some tips/advice, particularly on gun mount.

I'm a specs wearer and never been comfortable with the low down, bone on wood stance that everyone says I must have.

Have noticed some great shots seem to have a more open upright mount. Richard faulks ect.

Would appreciate observations

Dave

Hi everyone, new starter here. Hope your all well and enjoying the sunshine.

I've been shooting clays ect for about 25 years- although you wouldn't think so to see me shoot..

Hoping to share some tips/advice, particularly on gun mount.

I'm a specs wearer and never been comfortable with the low down, bone on wood stance that everyone says I must have.

Have noticed some great shots seem to have a more open upright mount. Richard faulks ect.

Would appreciate observations

Dave
Hi.

With face hard onto the wood on a normal sporting stock you should still have a fairly upright head if gun fits well enough (and you’re doing it right). The face moves forward onto the comb, not just down. 

Without doubt you will need larger lenses than a normal slim everyday pair, to avoid looking through the frame. Even with single vision lenses (which you should be using, not varifocals) you still need to not be looking through the outer edge of the lense, as there is distortion. So, ensure your glasses are big enough and/or positioned highly enough on your nose to be looking through the middle of the lenses. 

Ok thanks for advice Will. 

Possibly gun wasn't best fit. It was a mk38 spotter. Had it 13 years but it never felt right somehow. Just got a a zoli with an adjustable comb so see if that helps.

All the advice I have got from old boys says head tight on stock, but when I watch some shooters, particularly Richard faulks, he seems to mount the gun to a point below his nose line if you know what I mean. His eye appears to be well above rib. Which I'm thinking would be a more comfortable mount

Latest posts

Back