"new" type clays ,whats the best shade lenses to use

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Nice to get back to the sporting clays,how ever I did find it harder to see the newer Beige type clays , even when spotted they some how look more like midi s than standards , now I know my eyesight is good as a few old standards were being used up .

So my question is what colour/shade lenses would improve the sharpness /clarity ?  thanks

I can't help with the color for those clays but target color has been a longtime peeve of mine.  I mean WTF is up with making or using invisible targets ?!?!?!?  WTF purpose does that serve?  In my naivete I presumed that the game was not about seeing the target but more like hitting it.  Where did I go wprng?

Unfortunately there isn’t a clear cut answer to that question, as it differs from person to person. If you look at the Pilla site, they have graphics per lense type that purport to show the improved clarity of certain clays against certain backgrounds. That may give you an idea of what to look for, but whether it does what it says on the tin... ymmv. 

I have tried a few different lenses by swapping shades with people shooting at the very same clays, and what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for others. I dislike the redder hues, but am happy with greens or purples, both of which accentuate orange clays for me (for different reasons I think). For a beige clay I suppose I’d pick a yellow lense (or red) lense to increase contrast, but we don’t get those here much so don’t take my word for it. 

I’m with Wonko on the side of the invisible clay debate. It’s a clay shooting contest, not a clay spotting match. 

cant hit what you cant see though eh , the thing I noticed is defo harder to see at pick up point so not getting that means hold points further on etc etc , no other colour has the same effect , others in the group say the exact same thing . will look @ pilla site .cheers

Perhaps pilla are paying the clay manufacturers to come up with as many new colors as they possible can 😀 

Unfortunately there isn’t a clear cut answer to that question, as it differs from person to person. If you look at the Pilla site, they have graphics per lense type that purport to show the improved clarity of certain clays against certain backgrounds. That may give you an idea of what to look for, but whether it does what it says on the tin... ymmv. 

I have tried a few different lenses by swapping shades with people shooting at the very same clays, and what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for others. I dislike the redder hues, but am happy with greens or purples, both of which accentuate orange clays for me (for different reasons I think). For a beige clay I suppose I’d pick a yellow lense (or red) lense to increase contrast, but we don’t get those here much so don’t take my word for it. 

I’m with Wonko on the side of the invisible clay debate. It’s a clay shooting contest, not a clay spotting match. 
Thanks Luke, looked at pilla site its very interesting ,then checked out prices...sheesh !!! Wow to put it politely

Yeah they are definitely not cheap. Deals can be had, but all in all it’s a lot of money for a few lenses. Whether it’s worth it is up to the shooter, though I will say that many people I know who used to slate Pilla now use them 😎

Perhaps pilla are paying the clay manufacturers to come up with as many new colors as they possible can 😀 
Probably a good investment on their part too 😁

Definitely don’t like those new light brown clays as they are very difficult to see in certain conditions.

I recently went to a registered shoot where they had a rabbit version which was almost impossible to pick out against the grass/earth background.

When you think about it why is a real rabbit light brown? To blend in with it’s natural surroundings as to not be seen!!

Agree with previous comments - you can’t shoot what you can’t see!

Better idea would be to only use black clays for everything!

Back