Anyone shoot steel?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aris

It looks like the drum roll for banning lead is getting louder by the day.

Steel seems to be the best viable alternative- and as a bonus iron is cheaper than lead so the price of cartridges should come down.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

Steel seems to be the best viable alternative- and as a bonus iron is cheaper than lead so the price of cartridges should come down.

In NL its been steel only for as long as I've been shooting, so I couldn't sing lead's praises if I tried. Steel seems to do the job for anything I've tried, but as has been said before: The absence of alternative clears the mind wonderfully.

I doubt whether cartridges will become cheaper, as the standard complaint that life isn't getting cheaper applies more so to shooting in my experience. We pay around EUR 200 / 1000 for decent clay-shooting cartridges, maybe a little less if you buy several thousand at a time. Won't be long for dissolvable wadding becomes a must and I expect prices to rise as a result.   

Any issues with barrel damage/scratching?  I don't suppose a fibre wad works with steel does it?

Also what loads are you using for the Fast trap disciplines? 

Currently those shooting  OT use 24g s with 7 or 8 shot.  with  a speed of around 400m/s.

I tried some 24g 7s in steel and they were next to useless. I don't recall how fast they were though. 

I haven't tried but would be interested to see  if the gap in performance can be made up using 24g with a bigger shot size (eg.5s) or a faster cartridge that would meet the proof of a non steel proofed gun. 

My understanding is that you need to go up two shot sizes to be the rough equivalent of lead.   So if using a 7/8 shot, you need to go to a 5/6 shot size.   Of course, that means fewer pellets - so perhaps a longer 3" shell with 24g of 5/6 shot will compensate.  There may be a need to increase the shot weight too.

If we do go lead-free (and it is bound to happen) - there will have to be some sort of recalibration of competition rules to compensate for this change.   Shooters may well also need to re-learn some aspects of their shooting to compensate for steel.

Lead is much heavier than steel. Same weight cartridge contains many more pellets in steel.

It looks like the drum roll for banning lead is getting louder by the day.

You’re right, steel is on its way for all disciplines except perhaps trap where lead can be relatively easily contained and harvested. 

In summary, here’s the problems:

1. It damages guns, particularly older models and those with thin barrel walls.

2. It’s noisy and for a sport fighting a constant battle against noise complainers that’s bad news.

3. It has to shot through plastic wads (given current technology) and with all the palaver about single use plastics that’s problematic.

4. It ricochets. For this reason many grounds, on the advice of their insurance companies, have banned it.

5. It’s hugely inferior to lead from a ballistic point of view. See the video below:

The culmination of all this woe is the demise of the sport as we know it. Targets will have to be pulled in to allow for steel’s poor performance. Grounds designed around anything that poses a ricochet risk will have to be redesigned, that’s assuming they can find an insurance company prepared to cover the risk. Events like FITASC and English Sporting will have to change considerably.

To a certain extent it doesn’t really matter though. The sport’s caught in a perfect storm of a lack of mainstream media coverage, increasingly burdensome legislation, an ageing demographic and ever stringent environmental pressures. What’s more, we’ve a governing body that talks a good game but, in reality, has very little influence or power. Unlike the NRA there’s nobody fighting our corner

I’m afraid, as I see it, organised clay shooting in the UK’s probably got 10-15 years before it dies a natural death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any issues with barrel damage/scratching?  I don't suppose a fibre wad works with steel does it?
None, but then my oldest gun was born in 1990. A fibre wad will work with steel, several manufacturers make them. I'm not sure how well they work, as I shoot cartridges with plastic wads. It makes sense to me to have the 'sides' of the cup preventing steel on steel contact, but I doubt that soft steel for shot would exert significant wear on the harder steel of the barrels.  

4 minutes ago, Jan Powell said:

You’re right, steel is on its way for all disciplines except perhaps trap where lead can be relatively easily contained and harvested. 

In summary, here’s the problems:

1. It damages guns, particularly older models and those with thin barrel walls.

2. It’s noisy and for a sport fighting a constant battle against noise complainers that’s bad news.

3. It has to shot through plastic wads (given current technology) and with all the palaver about single use plastics that’s problematic.

4. It ricochets. For this reason many grounds, on the advice of their insurance companies, have banned it.Ja

Jan, Trap shooters just have to work on their reaction and shooting speed. Smoking the clays earlier means you don't need the better ballistics of lead at range 🤣

I enjoy and prefer shooting lead when allowed, but shoot between 10-12k steel cartridges per year.
Not sure where the fear of steel damaging guns is coming from.
For old(er) guns, just use ordinary pressure.
Haven’t seen any issues caused by steel shot, not even in side by sides of 50+ years old.
Stuck wads can damage guns (seen once), but that’s applicable for lead shot as well.

In competitions I’ve never heard anyone from the UK or France complain about performance of steel shot.
If everyone has to use it, it’s still the shooter that makes the difference.

For OT you’re allowed to use steel 28/5, but 24/6 or 28/6 is sufficient.
If you take your 1st shot early, 24/7 would be fine for 1st barrel shot.
Don’t shoot trap that much anymore, as I prefer the sporting disciplines.

Not saying that steel is better than lead, but life won’t end with a ban on lead shot.
I hope lead shot will never be banned, but unfortunately it’s not up to me...

Latest posts

Back