Pilla 560?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scraynes

Morning All,

First post alert! Can't believe I haven't found this forum before - I can feel myself loosing hours here!

Been shooting for 6 months now (I'm in th eIslands so been lucky enough to shoot throughout), and it's starting to come together and figures it's time to move on from my building site safety glasses :)

Been looking at the Pilla X6 but at this stage thing that sort of money is better spend on cartridges.

Just wondering if any of you have a view on the Pilla 560 series? I've found a set for around £100 - I'm thing the quility of th elens would be the same, but understand the options are more limited. No one in my club has them so can't try them before buying. just after a view? Thinking 70CY lens.

Thanks

Morning All,

First post alert! Can't believe I haven't found this forum before - I can feel myself loosing hours here!

Been shooting for 6 months now (I'm in th eIslands so been lucky enough to shoot throughout), and it's starting to come together and figures it's time to move on from my building site safety glasses 🙂

Been looking at the Pilla X6 but at this stage thing that sort of money is better spend on cartridges.

Just wondering if any of you have a view on the Pilla 560 series? I've found a set for around £100 - I'm thing the quility of th elens would be the same, but understand the options are more limited. No one in my club has them so can't try them before buying. just after a view? Thinking 70CY lens.

Thanks
Hi. I haven’t used Pilla for a while because I had to shift to prescription glasses 7 years ago. But my basic advice is that there is no big advantage with Pilla over lots of cheaper shooting glasses. If you have plenty of cash then Pilla are great, but not a game changer and if cash is a factor, spend it on clays and cartridges, yes.  

It’s important to get the right features in glasses, such as lens colour that works for you. The first thing to consider is that you are looking (literally) for contrast vision where the clays you are shooting show up well. Avoid very dark lenses except when you absolutely need them. The lightest you can wear without squinting is best. I used an orange 40 in Pilla 80% of the time. 

if you wear headphones then the frames must be thin enough not to hold the ear pads away from your head, so always try the glasses with them on. Make sure you hold the gun and see that the frame shape isn’t in your view when shooting. Google shooting glasses and lots of options come up. Cheaper Pilla copies basically. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are quite a few threads about Pilla on this site and they are worth reading in full. Having said that, Will has summed it up well - as he usually does.

To answer your question, I have 560s (most lenses), Vigilantes (54HC) & Panther X6 (52CHC) & the older Blades. There is little difference in the quality of the lenses between the four sets. Certainly the difference is not relevant to my level of shooting - I have never found the 560s wanting. They are my go to (45CO). I would make one more comment - the 560s are wide glasses - they feel a bit big. I use plugs so there is no issue with defenders for me and I like the wide view. They may push ear defenders away from your head and that is the last thing you want to happen - do you have a big head !! The arm can be bend but not those made of carbon.

There is something odd about Pilla colours. It does seem important to find the one that works for you. It won't be a particular lenses but whether you like rose (pink), orange or purple tints etc. With hindsight I would have bought a set of Evolution Matrix X (see https://evolutionsunglasses.com/product-category/shooting-eyewear/ and then tried a few lenses to get the color right and then ordered a set of Pilla to match. A 2nd set of glasses is always good for visitors and you may find the Matrix ticks the box anyway. This would have stopped the multiple sets of rarely used kit !!!

I have the 70CY. It is a very light lenses which I use occasionally for overcast days in winter. As we get older we need more light so if you are retired it may work for you. personally I would get a (40 to 60) lenses and no lighter. The orange 40 Will mentions is a great lenses (it is a bit pink with orange) and if anything Will underestimates its usage - I would have said it would do for 90% of shootable days in the UK. I have quoted some of the lenses I have so you see a 50% pattern has built up over time.

Finally, the Pillas are no better than the Oakleys I used before.

Morning All,

Been shooting for 6 months now (I'm in th eIslands so been lucky enough to shoot throughout), and it's starting to come together and figures it's time to move on from my building site safety glasses 🙂

Thanks
i use prescription shooting glasses ,  i would love pilla prescription glasses     but cant justify the cost ,     my go to is j h steward of Bisley     check em out  !!!

I now have Pilla’s with the prescription inserts. I had the Rangers before than with prescription inserts.  Part of me wishes I hadn’t sold my Rangers, the inserts were bigger and my prescription was bifocal, it never interfered with my shooting and I could read the score card! With the Pilla inserts I originally went for the X7 but found with the inserts in place my vision was distorted as the lens was more curved.  Changed them over for the X6 and it’s better but the inserts are quite small so only have the distance not the bifocal which is a pain.  The colours are individual for each person, what works for one doesn’t work for another. 

FWIW, and at my level, I could never justify the cost of Pilla etc.

I have a pair of Browning shooting glasses (non prescription) with an amber lens that were bought for me. I find they give great definition in most weathers, fit ok with electronic ear muffs (quite thin arms), and cost about £40!

Thanks for all the reply's.

Without a doubt I have no plan to buy a pair of X6/7, but am tempted by the 560's at £100 just to buy into Pilla.

Seems like I might be better to invest in the evolution - at least that way I get a set of lens rather than the one.

For now I think it's time to move away from my clear safety glasses and invest a little.

Thanks again for the input. 

Have a look at Sportsman Gun Centre, they sell the Pilla 'Vigilante' fixed single lens glasses at £118. I already have a set of Pillas with various lenses (mostly bought used) but wanted a 'purple' lens for certain targets and backgrounds. As the correct ones for my frames were going to be around £180, I went for the 'Vigilante' 44N from Sportsman. To date they have been excellent and do what they were bought for. As others have said, the 45 lens is a good 'starter' or the 54 is equally as good. I would really try some Pilla's before making your mind up though, especially if you can look at some targets with various backgrounds. I have tried and used several different types and makes of glasses over the years, but for my eyes the Pilla's have been the best. Expensive, YES, overpriced, PROBABLY, but they are pretty damned good too.

The only reason I moved to Pilla was for the lens quality. I like wraparound glasses and found that with the 'cheaper' glasses I tried, there was distortion in/on the curve, but not with the Pillas.

i had the Hi-Def posts and when i had difficulty in getting a purple lens i found Castellani C-Mask glasses, very similar in style and shape but a lot cheaper than Pilla, in fact a single purple Pilla lens was £180 and a 3 lens set of Castellani plus frame was £250. Ive now changed completely to Castellani and cant fault them

Latest posts

Back