Laser Sighter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinj

Has anyone tried a laser sighter, (or whatever it is called?) see below.

I did and I wish I hadn't, it has a centred laser beam, you slip it into the chamber like a cartridge and aim at stuff around the house to see if you are aiming where the laser points. I tried it and the laser dot was low so I wound some tape onto it to make it a snug fit in the chamber but it was still low by a few inches at 20 yards. I was expecting it to be high if anything. I tried both chambers with the same result, I tried it in other guns and they were more or less spot on so have I discovered that my gun shoots low?

I was pretty well p..... annoyed so I tried shooting up an old dead tree stump and things didn't seem to be too bad, definitely not shooting high but maybe central to low. So what to do? Well I had a word with myself, I have been hitting things with the gun, (I shot an 87 today,) so it can't be too bad. At the moment I have decided to bear in mind that I might be shooting a bit on the low side and blot out going away birds rather than shooting their feet as I tend to do.

Any words of wisdom?

20210405_204701.jpg

Yes here’s some words of wisdom 😂. Think of the laser in terms of a telescopic rifle sight .  One minute of angle of misalignment would be 1”  off your point of aim at 100 yards  so 1/4 “ at 25 yards .  Therefore one degree  = 15” error  at 25 yards  . Unless you a) can eliminate that error of fit  to your chamber b) you are sure your ( cheap chinese ? ) laser cartridge is absolutely concentric in its manufacture , and c ) ends up concentric to the bore , you are probably wasting your time 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, put it in the cupboard and forget about it. All it will tell you is where the centre of your barrels are (assuming you can mount it firmly into the gun). It won’t give any indication of where your gun’s placing its shot and won’t help at all with gun fit. It’s of no use whatsoever in a shotgun.

Put in in the barrel with it switched on with the gun broken, lie the gun down with the barrels pointing at a wall then turn the laser cartridge around. Does the dot move around as you turn it, depends on how well they have machined it and centered the laser

Put in in the barrel with it switched on with the gun broken, lie the gun down with the barrels pointing at a wall then turn the laser cartridge around. Does the dot move around as you turn it, depends on how well they have machined it and centered the laser
Reminds me of my ‘bargain’ spirit level I once got...

It didn’t go well.. 😂

Get yourself one of these, comes with bits to center in the barrel and only illuminates when you touch the trigger and complete the circuit. I had a feeling one of my guns had a barrel problem, breaks were inconsistent and sometimes missing targets even though the site pictures felt right, found my bottom barrel shot slightly right compared to the top. It's useful for roughly setting up a gun with an adjustable comb.

1e524b6c-ffdd-4c9e-805e-7838b301219c.jpg

I get tired of these nonsensical products that claim to magically improve your shooting performance. Whether it be the latest clip on bead or another new lens tint, they make their inventors plenty of money at the expense of the average gullible joe desperate for that miracle passport to big scores.

A laser pointer pushed up a shotgun barrel will do absolutely nothing to fix gun fit or improve your performance. Anyone that tells you it will is taking you for a fool. If you’ve a problem with where your guns shooting then seek the advice of a good coach.

Honestly, there’s nothing like clay shooting for separating a fool from their money!

Yes here’s some words of wisdom 😂. Think of the laser in terms of a telescopic rifle sight .  One minute of angle of misalignment would be 1”  off your point of aim at 100 yards  so 1/4 “ at 25 yards .  Therefore one degree  = 15” error  at 25 yards  . Unless you a) can eliminate that error of fit  to your chamber b) you are sure your ( cheap chinese ? ) laser cartridge is absolutely concentric in its manufacture , and c ) ends up concentric to the bore , y

Yes, put it in the cupboard and forget about it. All it will tell you is where the centre of your barrels are (assuming you can mount it firmly into the gun). It won’t give any indication of where your gun’s placing its shot and won’t help at all with gun fit. It’s of no use whatsoever in a shotgun.
ou are probably wasting your time Honestly, there’s nothing like clay shooting for separating a fool from their money!
a) I tried rotating it 90 and 180 degrees and it made no appreciable difference and it was more or less spot on in two other guns in my cabinet

b) Yes I should have left it in the cupboard as it knocked my confidence somewhat

c) I'm not a fool, it didn't cost much money (hey, perhaps I should buy an expensive one? (joke!)

If it gets me an 87, I’ll actually buy one!
d) yes, but I might have shot 97 if the gun pointed where I was aiming, at least I have an excuse now.

Latest posts

Back