New rule

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Powell

Staff member
It seems to have slipped under the radar but please note, the CPSA are soon to implement a rule requiring competitors to place spent cartridge cases in the bin at registered events. This will apply to all disciplines and all gun types, including semi automatics.

Details can be found in the latest board meeting summary online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read that earlier! No punishment though.

From my fitasc sporting days ive always tried to get my shels in the bin but obviously sometimes ill miss it so will that get a winge from a overzealous ref?

I took my lad on a reg shoot when he first started with a 20bore auto and one ref had a real winge because he didn't pic up the spent shells ,which in most circumstances ide agree with ,but first time out in comp and me focusing on safety with him i can tell you clearing up the stand was way down on the priorities list.

It seems to have slipped under the radar but please note, the CPSA are soon to implement a rule requiring competitors to place spent cartridge cases in the bin at registered events. This will apply to all disciplines and all gun types, including semi automatics.

About time 

CORRESPONDENCE.

SO explained a request for a change of rules for shooters to receive a penalty if they do not place their used shells in the bin. NH said it was a potential problem for auto shooters and not good to hold up the squad moving to the next stand while waiting for shooters to pick up cartridges. RF said from a shooter’s point of view, could not see why a shooter should not put cartridges in bins and from a ground owners’ point of view it would be something he would vote for as it causes a lot of work at the end of the day. JM said if it were to keep grounds tidy would it be a problem to make this a rule as FITASC already have this rule. NH asked if this was already in the CPSA rules. IP said no it wasn’t. JM- If it was made a rule then you have to have a penalty. RF suggested to put in the rules but not have a penalty. CS felt it was a good suggestion as it is not ideal to have empty cartridge cases in the stand as shooters step forward to shoot. IP agreed that making it a rule with no penalty was preferable as having a penalty makes it more complicated. CS agreed as having the rule would also give the referee a bit more authority. CA to write into the rules.

Agree put your spent cartridges in the bin. But no penalty, what happens when shooters don't tidy up their empties?

Agree put your spent cartridges in the bin. But no penalty, what happens when shooters don't tidy up their empties?
Hard to see what sort of penalty would be appropriate. An experienced ref will take each situation on it's own merits so to speak, but they always have to bear in mind that the ground owner isn't going to want paying customers upset by an over zealous, jobsworth ref.

The younger refs don't want any argy-bargy so are usually pretty flexible about applying rules.

Give them the same look as you do when you see someone in a shop without a mask on 😄, because that's all he/she can do

Last edited by a moderator:
Just how do they propose to apply the rule to a semi auto user  ?  On occasion, when shoulder/neck injury dictates it, I am forced to use a semi-auto. Thankfully I no longer shoot registered, but there must be some who are in a similar position, that do. If I can,  I will pick up my spent cartridges, but that is not always possible without going forward of the firing line. I will always pick up spent cartridges when using my O/U,  or when they litter the ground inside the shooting stand when I enter it.

... And do what though?
Make the shooter aware of the rule and ask them to comply.

Just how do they propose to apply the rule to a semi auto user  ?  On occasion, when shoulder/neck injury dictates it, I am forced to use a semi-auto. Thankfully I no longer shoot registered, but there must be some who are in a similar position, that do. If I can,  I will pick up my spent cartridges, but that is not always possible without going forward of the firing line. I will always pick up spent cartridges when using my O/U,  or when they litter the ground inside the shooting stand when I enter it.

Rules, as well as having shot reg for years & having reffed ESP & FITASC also, Im of the opinion that too many shooters are unfamiliar of nor care to know the rules at present let alone another such as this, a rule which is itself a commendable action. 

Sorry, as opposed to what? Do people in this day and age seriously actually just fling them anywhere?! Only cos I've not seen it personally, only ones they can't find cos a semi auto has chucked it in a bush or summat.

Not shot much registered and what I have done has only been trap. I have never seen a semi auto shoot the trap disciplines.

Taking semi autos aside, even with ou there are times when the cartridges are ejected in error. Would you slow down a line to allow the shooter to pick it up or do you wait till the line is over.  

if the line gets slowed or stopped whilst the odd missed cartridge was retrieved and placed in the bin would probably effect the other shooters on the line and not go down too well with some. 

Then I think those people would need to have a quiet word with themselves. Shooting is a hobby for probably about 99% of people, I can't think of a single justifiable reason for not taking 5 seconds to pick up your waste or more so with the above comment, wait for someone to do it when done in error.

To me, anything less is just self importance and an inflated sense of ego. When you're faulds or digweed, then we can revisit that argument, and even then they'd probably come out looking like a tosser cos it's just lazy. 

... And do what though?
Each time I've taken a squad out I introduce myself and get everyone's names etc. Then I'll mention anything relevant such as a limit for the rabbit etc. If I do any reffing this year I'll mention the new rule before we set off.

Also, having reffed a good few Fitasc shoots, I've never had grief from anyone if I pick them up on a rule breach, because it's not what you say so much as how you say it and when.

Westley makes a very good point. Most grounds have a shooting boundary across which you are not allowed to cross for obvious safety reasons. Semi autos, by their very design eject cartridges under pressure and usually sideways at an angle from the cage often landing in that no go safety zone. How are those shooters supposed to act? Pretty soon the CPSA will be using this as a means to ban semi autos at shoots altogether. ☹️☹️

Each time I've taken a squad out I introduce myself and get everyone's names etc. Then I'll mention anything relevant such as a limit for the rabbit etc. If I do any reffing this year I'll mention the new rule before we set off.

Also, having reffed a good few Fitasc shoots, I've never had grief from anyone if I pick them up on a rule breach, because it's not what you say so much as how you say it and when.
Its all well and good on a squaded shoot but on a normal registered shoot, which if we get back to anything normal, the shooter can just walk off. Fitasc as I understand it, has a yellow card warning then red card and then targets deducted. With no penalty how are you going to enforce anything. 

It's going to be interesting to see how they right the rule.

Whilst it's quite common late in the day when the bin's getting full, to see empties bounce out of the bin and land in the under growth, I really don't see many people just dumping empties on the ground. Occasionally someone misses the bin or the ejected empty, so a couple of dozen lying around isn't unusual, but I'm not convinced it's a big problem.

When doing non squadded shoots it never bothered me to scoop up the empties before leaving although I tend to ignore the ones lying in stinging nettles. 😊

Latest posts

Back