Patterning 1/4 Choke?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelrain

I want to pattern 1/4 choke in my gun with a few different brand cartridge's tomorrow morning.

What would be the best distance to do this from to get a true reading of each cartridge? Any tips appreciated thanks.

20 yards with a 1/4. Anything more and the pellets will creep outside the 30 inch circle. This is not a hard & fast rule. I'd try at 20 yards & then 25 yards to see the increase in spread.

Also be prepared to learn very little. I'm sorry but pattern plates really don't tell you much at all.

I want to pattern 1/4 choke in my gun with a few different brand cartridge's tomorrow morning.

What would be the best distance to do this from to get a true reading of each cartridge? Any tips appreciated thanks.
What is more important when doing a pattern plate is it tells you where the pattern is has to where you think it is.  

Yes totally. At 15 yards I’ve had 10” to 24” total and spread distribution is obvious 
That's a massive variation in pattern width at that distance I didn't think it would be so much.15 yards it is so will bring a measuring tape with me to check pattern width as well as the spread.

What is more important when doing a pattern plate is it tells you where the pattern is has to where you think it is.  
Good point,I find the adjustable rib is great for getting the pattern to where I like it.

I pattern at 25 yards as my default distance.

I have a 3/8th teague in my 12 gauge dt11 and my usable pattern spread is around 22-23" with plas wad clay carts or heavier game loads.

In my miroku mk60 game gun 1/4 choke gives about 22" with 28 gram 5 game carts.

I tend to like 10% less than an inch per yard, so22-23" at 25 yards and 45" at 50 yards and so forth, seems to give a good balance and work well.

I don't use a pattern plate for gun fit, I can't hold the gun still enough, sometimes I even get someone else to shoot the gun if I'm patterning carts.

What are you patterning on , whitewashed  steel plate , or card ? . Either way I like these .  50 pence each .  The spot in the middle is a standard clay , the pheasant is life sized and the dartboard makes easy counting 

C9917758-AA91-4832-9217-1FF250CAF8CD.jpeg

What are you patterning on , whitewashed  steel plate , or card ? . Either way I like these .  50 pence each .  The spot in the middle is a standard clay , the pheasant is life sized and the dartboard makes easy counting 

View attachment 8579
Those look a great job Marty but I'm afraid to hand all I have is sheets of white back cardboard that I will spray a clay size target with orange paint in the center of, hopefully will do the trick.

I pattern at 25 yards as my default distance.

I have a 3/8th teague in my 12 gauge dt11 and my usable pattern spread is around 22-23" with plas wad clay carts or heavier game loads.

In my miroku mk60 game gun 1/4 choke gives about 22" with 28 gram 5 game carts.

I tend to like 10% less than an inch per yard, so22-23" at 25 yards and 45" at 50 yards and so forth, seems to give a good balance and work well.

I don't use a pattern plate for gun fit, I can't hold the gun still enough, sometimes I even get someone else to shoot the gun if I'm patterning carts.
Great information Jonny,I'll be shooting my 692 x trap with extended optima hp chokes in tomorrow, which ever cartridge does best at 15 yards I'll bring it out to 25 yards then to test it.

any chance of a few pics , always interesting to see results , strangley I only do 16yds.

Just back from patterning, Cartridge's I used were fiocchi f3 sporting 28g 7.5,fiocchi fblack 28g 7.5,gambore white gold 28g 7.5,eley superb 28g 8 and gambore evo 28g 8. 

I shot one of each cartridge at 15 yards then measured the pattern width which supprisingly was around 17" on average apart from the f black which was around 13" I think.The patterns were all acceptable to me apart from the white gold which I taught had a very tight center and patchy outer spread and these were the most expensive,the recoil is harsh with the white gold also.to me the eley superb and the fiocchi f blacks were the pick of the bunch at 15 yards so I shot both of these again at 25 yards and as much as I wanted the eley superbs to win out because of how smooth they are to shoot,the fiocchi fblacks just couldn't be beat'n in terms of even pattern spread at 15 and 25 yards.They really suit my optima hp chokes and it just goes to show the most expensive cartridges are not always the best.

I have to say the f3 sporting and the Gambore evos are lovely smooth cartridges to use and the evos throw a good pattern to and only just behind the superbs to me anyway.I I will attach some pictures there not the best but they might give you an idea of each cartridge.IMG_20210404_102035.jpgIMG_20210404_105943.jpg

IMG_20210404_111124.jpg

IMG_20210404_105020.jpg

IMG_20210404_103733.jpg

IMG_20210404_102908.jpg

Blaser F3 and Evos for me. 
Patterning at 15 yards appeals to me. They all look the same to me beyond that!

What diameter pattern would you look for at that range with which choke?

Like you, I'd much prefer an even pattern as opposed to centre dense.

PM.

Blaser F3 and Evos for me. 
I was surprised at how soft to shoot the evo's are very close to the eley superbs.

PM.
I was averaging a spread of around 17" at that distance using the improved cylinder choke but the fiocchi fblacks had a spread of just 13" at 15 yards and around 20" at 25 yards very even it was at both distances,I'm not expert at this but this morning has given me a better idea of what my gun shoots best with.

Having finally settled on two 3/8ths chokes I'm considering a patterning session. 15yds makes a lot of sense. Having patterned at 30+yds I found the difference between loads too indistinct.

PM.

PM.
I like to see about 15-17” with 1/4 choke and definitely look for an even pattern. 4DF16BBA-2810-485C-A84E-60B8B2A9AC0E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back