Yildiz Pro Black Sporter

pigginspadger

pigginspadger

I bought a Yildiz Pro Sport Black 30 inch Sporter last November, before this lockdown started, and after 4 months have just had an opportunity to shoot it! I have been shooting clays for over 20 years, and owned and shot lots of guns during this time, starting with Lanbers, Winchesters, Mirokus, Brownings, and eventually ended up with what I think is my preference -Berettas, I now shoot a 694. Anyway, the Yildiz.....initially i was impressed with it, nicely balanced, little recoil, no issues, I liked it, however, after shooting three or four sporting stands at Kibworth, around 35-40 cartridges, the Yildiz action was getting warm, and started getting difficult to open, the top lever became stiffer and stuffed to push across, and after shooting two more stands, it became almost impossible to open! The action and barrel s had become quite warm, but not exceptionally so, I have shot hundreds of cartridges through other guns which have become much hotter than this one, and not experienced these same issues. What I am wondering is, because this gun retails at a very competitive price considering the perceived quality of its design and construction ( the lock closely resembles that of  a Perazzi action, and the machined finish looks exemplary), are the machined tolerances on this gun somehow lacking the integrity of other guns of like construction, ie:-: Is this gun, and other guns that may exhibit similar problems when they get warm/hot, cheaper in price because of this, and furthermore, would it be an easy fix for a gunsmith to eradicate the problem, or is it a warranty issue? Initially I really liked the gun, it’s superficially fantastic value for money, but I’ve bought countless new guns before, and , as soon as I encounter major or minor issues with my of them, my confidence in them evaporates!! That’s just me tho....😬

Cheshiremillie

Get the dealer to send it back to Yildiz. I’m sure they’ll sort it for you.👍

diver682

Must be in warranty, go back to where you got it from and explain the issue you had with it 

pigginspadger

I won’t be keeping this Yildiz, I was intrigued by its presentation with a Perazzi style look about it, all for the price of a SP2 or 525, even the mid rib joining the barrels resembles a Perazzi, and the top rib with its angled supports, the whole gun should be called a Yildazzi, even Johnny at TGS appears impressed with it, and has some guns made for him on the Yildiz  Pro Black platform........marketed as a TGS I believe? But in truth it may look to the whole world at first glance, to be a Perazzi clone, but it doesn’t take very long, even for an amateur Vic Harker like me, to discover it’s a counterfeit!!! For a brief moment I thought I might have experienced an epiphanic moment, and at last had got hold of a Perazzi for £1450!!!-wrong!!! I’ve scratched the itch tho, I will have a Perazzi, now I know why.........

Cheshiremillie
11 hours ago, pigginspadger said:

I will have a Perazzi, now I know why.

I’ve got a lovely 2000S that I’m selling if you were interested👍😁

pigginspadger
2 hours ago, Cheshiremillie said:

I’ve got a lovely 2000S that I’m selling if you were interested👍😁

Thank-you kindly  for that offer, I need to move the Yildazzi and a couple of other guns on before acquiring a real Perazzi!!

pigginspadger
4 hours ago, Cheshiremillie said:

I know they’re not cheap but they are worth every penny👍😀

I totally  agree with you, but as most second hand Perazzi shotguns available for sale were originally created when new  as a bespoke gun for an individual, or have been subsequently altered to suit an individual, it’s very difficult to get a standard, factory spec unaltered example..........buying new is the only sensible option....... that way it is guaranteed to fit?

Freddypip

I would be tempted to take the Yildiz to a decent gunsmith and see what they say. I'm sure most would be keen to look at it and give an opinion without doing anything to void the warranty and your return options.  I expect that most Yildiz lack any hand finishing and a decent gunsmith will be able to tidy it up for you in terms of fit, trigger pulls etc. You may have to pay for their time but I would not worry about £200 to get it up to Perazzi levels (without the initial outlay). I have no doubt some find Perazzi worth the money. Personally I think they are over priced and it is surprising the number you can find on the second hand market which were, as you say, fitted to somebody at sometime.

• Like 1
Skeet UK

You should probably give it the time to break in.

Becoming a bit tighter when warm, suggests tighter tolerances, not poor machining.

Have you greased it appropriately?

I think 50 cartridges, is probably too few to break it in.

What cartridges were you using, incidentally?  Had you thought that it could be the cartridges?

As you know, the machining is exemplary, good quality steel used throughout.

Mine, is a grade 5 that I have refinished recently.

IMG-20210313-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.f56ca9d3b78994287c9a201cba043b61.jpeg

• Like 3
pigginspadger
19 hours ago, Skeet UK said:

You should probably give it the time to break in.

Becoming a bit tighter when warm, suggests tighter tolerances, not poor machining.

Have you greased it appropriately?

I think 50 cartridges, is probably too few to break it in.

What cartridges were you using, incidentally?  Had you thought that it could be the cartridges?

As you know, the machining is exemplary, good quality steel used throughout.

Mine, is a grade 5 that I have refinished recently.

IMG-20210313-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.f56ca9d3b78994287c9a201cba043b61.jpeg

Not just a little tight-impossible to open with my thumb on the top lever, nothing to do with the cartridges I wouldn’t have thought, I have experienced a similar phenomenon a couple of times before, once with a brand new Blaser f3 in 2007, one of the very first that were available for sale at my local gun shop, being a completely new make/model of shotgun, (to me anyway), I accepted this frustrating occurrence as “teething problems”, and the gun was returned under warranty for this anomaly to be rectified-it took 9 weeks, a similar occurrence with a DT10 a year later, fixed under warranty, no problem , just being without the gun for 3 months this time was a pain! Neither problems with these two guns were as bad as with the Yildiz ProSport Black, the Blaser and Beretta did open, admittedly they were unacceptably stiff in operation, but the Yildiz however, in the end, steadfastly refused any physical attempt to open with the top lever,  I gave up trying to open it, once it had cooled down, it operated as it should, ( I was back home by then, two hours later), but the damage in my head was irreparable.................

1 minute ago, pigginspadger said:

Not just a little tight-impossible to open with my thumb on the top lever, nothing to do with the cartridges I wouldn’t have thought, I have experienced a similar phenomenon a couple of times before, once with a brand new Blaser f3 in 2007, one of the very first that were available for sale at my local gun shop, being a completely new make/model of shotgun, (to me anyway), I accepted this frustrating occurrence as “teething problems”, and the gun was returned under warranty for this anomaly to be rectified-it took 9 weeks, a similar occurrence with a DT10 a year later, fixed under warranty, no problem , just being without the gun for 3 months this time was a pain! Neither problems with these two guns were as bad as with the Yildiz ProSport Black, the Blaser and Beretta did open, admittedly they were unacceptably stiff in operation, but the Yildiz however, in the end, steadfastly refused any physical attempt to open with the top lever,  I gave up trying to open it, once it had cooled down, it operated as it should, ( I was back home by then, two hours later), but the damage in my head was irreparable.................

Lovely looking gun your Yildiz by the way! Exceptional Wood!!

• Like 1
Les53
1 hour ago, pigginspadger said:

Lovely looking gun your Yildiz by the way! Exceptional Wood!!

I agree, that wood looks stunning! I once had a Perazzi mx8 vintage with wood rather like that. Mmmm......another gun I should have kept! 😂

ColinD

Didn't Beretta have a similar problem with the gun not opening with one of their models, their's was something to do with the lever if I recall

pigginspadger

If my memory serves me correctly, the cause of the extremely stiff operation of the top lever on the Blaser in 2007 was that the angle of the wedge shape locking bolt in the action floor, was too acute, causing it to jam too tightly in the accommoding taper , this angle is of critical dimension, this explanation was given to me  by a gunsmith on behalf of Open Season Ltd, the importer/distributor of Blaser at the time, so I was lead to believe. Whatever remedial work was undertaken, it worked as it should when I got it back.

Skeet UK
15 hours ago, Les53 said:

I agree, that wood looks stunning! I once had a Perazzi mx8 vintage with wood rather like that. Mmmm......another gun I should have kept! 😂

Didn't look quite like that when I got it, but very pleased with how it has turned out.

Cheshiremillie

If the internals are similar to those in a Perazzi then it sounds like it could be the H Bolt. I.e the locking bolt that slides out of the action and interlocks with the barrels. It’s a relatively easy fix for a gunsmith. I wouldn’t give up on the gun too quickly and you’ll need to get it sorted before you can sell it any way. Have you tried the dealer?

pigginspadger
2 hours ago, Cheshiremillie said:

If the internals are similar to those in a Perazzi then it sounds like it could be the H Bolt. I.e the locking bolt that slides out of the action and interlocks with the barrels. It’s a relatively easy fix for a gunsmith. I wouldn’t give up on the gun too quickly and you’ll need to get it sorted before you can sell it any way. Have you tried the dealer?

Yes, the dealer is aware of the issue, I’m considering whether to part-ex the gun with him in the condition it’s in, he has agreed, and is prepared to take the appropriate steps regarding warranty etc, or I retain possession and he’ll return it on my behalf, Yildiz do claim to offer a 5 year warranty with the gun, (the terms and conditions of that guarantee may need carefully scrutiny), I’m considering the options, meanwhile I’ll shoot my Beretta 694, which has performed faultlessly from day one............

9 minutes ago, pigginspadger said:

Yes, the dealer is aware of the issue, I’m considering whether to part-ex the gun with him in the condition it’s in, he has agreed, and is prepared to take the appropriate steps regarding warranty etc, or I retain possession and he’ll return it on my behalf, Yildiz do claim to offer a 5 year warranty with the gun, (the terms and conditions of that guarantee may need carefully scrutiny), I’m considering the options, meanwhile I’ll shoot my Beretta 694, which has performed faultlessly from day one............

Interesting call regarding the “H” bolt tho, I hadn’t considered that, certainly worth mentioning to my dealer. Thankyou for the observation.

Cheshiremillie

I reckon the Tolerances on the H bolt are pretty tight from the factory. Gun gets shot and the barrel gets pretty hot causing expansion. That heat, albeit it less pronounced will also be causing some expansion in the action as well. So you will then have two interlocking wedge shaped parts of the gun expanding and therefore binding together. When gun cools down then the metal contracts and the top lever works normally again. We are probably talking about a couple of thousandths that needs to be filed off the H block. It’s an easy job for a gunsmith but requires the action to be disassembled so should take ac couple of hours max. I recently had the same problem that you have but with a Miroku. Sent back to Browning via the dealer and was back within a week. Did you buy the gun used or new?

Freddypip

It might a couple of hours but I'm sure a decent gunsmith will ensure all those bits that needed "hand finishing" were checked and sorted at the same time. If you sent it back its one thing, then another etc.

PhilR

This thread reminded me that my and my wife's brand new Perazzi MX2000 trap guns back in the early noughties got very difficult to open when hot. I spoke to RUAG and they arranged a local gunsmith, Ladbroke & Langton, to ease the H bolts FOC for me. 

• Like 1
Luke_(NL)

Are the internals surface hardened? If so then I’d be a bit wary about an H bolt that has its surface filed down. If that exposes non-hardened metal, wear will set in a lot quicker, more so if rubbing against hardened parts.  

jason king

try red brake grease, meant for car brakes it does work good on actions , I use it on my miroku , obviously itsdesigned for use on really hot car brake parts so easily works on a hot action,I use it on the knuckle side faces and bolt,ejectors get light oil .

• Like 1
Garwood

A gunsmith friend has always said that most of the work he does on newish guns could have been negated by a couple of hours finishing by hand in whichever factory,and yes his bench sees its fair share of Perazzi amongst everything else! So the OP gun no doubt needs a little TLC from a proper gunsmith rather than the production operative that assembled it.

• Like 1
jwpzx9r
12 hours ago, Luke_(NL) said:

Are the internals surface hardened? If so then I’d be a bit wary about an H bolt that has its surface filed down. If that exposes non-hardened metal, wear will set in a lot quicker, more so if rubbing against hardened parts.  

The H bolt in a Perazzi is made of a steel that is softer than the hardened steel of the lugs on the monoblock. The idea is that the H bolt wears and is cheap and easily replaced. So actually the H bolt should be exactly as you say it should not be.

I have no idea how the metal used in a cheap Turkish knock off relate to each other... or if they even thought about that?

• Thanks 1