Jump to content

Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.


Will Hewland
 Share

Recommended Posts

Honesberie today, which was an excellent course I thought. I was fairly happy with how I shot for most of it but two stands really make me kick myself. Firstly I missed two on stand 1 and that is meant to be a simple start. Just wasn’t careful. Daft. Had a  decent middle on some hard stands even with rain pouring down my neck.
 

Then on stand 10? The one up the mound with a distant going away and a r-l long looping midi. Granted this wasn’t an easy stand but I hit the first pair then missed the next six! Haven’t done that for a while, taking a decent card down to 85. Very enjoyable round though, my quirks aside..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

84 at Honesberie this morning, nice round with a bit of everything and a couple than needed a good gap.

I got it wrong in a couple of places, missing first pairs completely on 7 (just didn't give either enough lead) and 8 (being way too careful) rest was just untidy missing 2 overheads on first stand 1, then 2 orange shallow quartering on stand 4, then one of each on 5.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shot the lincs champs at east of england last weekend. Ended up with a score card littered with silly misses. Finished on 82, but should have been 90, still managed to make the lincs team at least.

Seem to be struggling to repeat even simple birds, and struggling with clay watching. Have been running with no front bead past 4 shoots so decided to put it back on today for a try at a small local ground to see if it improves my focus. Seen some improvement today but not sure if it's the bead that's made the difference, still had a little bit of clay watching.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honesberie for me as well today. Great course, with targets covering all distances and angles it was well balanced. I had no bad stands, but I only straighted 2 all day, so the ones and twos away cost me as I finished on 83 I think.

There's a local hunt shoot tomorrow evening which I may/may not attend based on rain. Then the gun comes out again on Friday for the Open at Barbury.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Churchill's yesterday.  Some of it was pretty wind affected, but I think it was probably on the tough side even without taking that into account.  I leaked points all the way around.  Everything could be hit, but every stand had something a little tricky about it.  The 70mm incomer on 4 was all over the place. Varied laterally by 20+ yards depending on how the wind was gusting. Only stand that I was disappointed with myself on was Stand 6.  I could hit the big right to left looper that I saw others struggle on, but couldn't find the relatively simple left to right, think I was overleading from the start.

Reckon there were 3 or 4 targets that I missed solely down to the wind, the rest were down to me.  Finished on 69, which is a bit lower than I would have hoped for.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bebo said:

Churchill's yesterday.  Some of it was pretty wind affected, but I think it was probably on the tough side even without taking that into account.  I leaked points all the way around.  Everything could be hit, but every stand had something a little tricky about it.  The 70mm incomer on 4 was all over the place. Varied laterally by 20+ yards depending on how the wind was gusting. Only stand that I was disappointed with myself on was Stand 6.  I could hit the big right to left looper that I saw others struggle on, but couldn't find the relatively simple left to right, think I was overleading from the start.

Reckon there were 3 or 4 targets that I missed solely down to the wind, the rest were down to me.  Finished on 69, which is a bit lower than I would have hoped for.

 

A pretty fair account. It was very tough in the afternoon gales when I shot. Proved that I’m no pigeon shooter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HMS for me today, first time there, and was pleasantly surprised. Good targets some long that were wind affected, some quick and deceiving.

I must stop rushing, lost two first pairs after throwing the gun at them and being miles in front, slowed down on the next pairs and dusted them.

One big gripe is that the squad following us ignored all the signs saying about social distance, and we’re right there with us. Eventually I lost it and told them to piss off and move back. I know, I know mild mannered me lost my rag  😡😡😡

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wynno said:

One big gripe is that the squad following us ignored all the signs saying about social distance, and we’re right there with us. Eventually I lost it and told them to piss off and move back. I know, I know mild mannered me lost my rag  😡😡😡

My one bug bear at moment too. The English Open at Barbury was an excellent shoot and there were signs up everywhere for the “waiting area” for the stands and not one squad took any notice at all.  It was only on stand 15 in the trailer people waited but that was purely because they couldn’t get in the trailer! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, donna said:

My one bug bear at moment too. The English Open at Barbury was an excellent shoot and there were signs up everywhere for the “waiting area” for the stands and not one squad took any notice at all.  It was only on stand 15 in the trailer people waited but that was purely because they couldn’t get in the trailer! 

But you can go to the pub inside and be sat a lot less than 2m apart and that’s OK? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, jonz said:

But you can go to the pub inside and be sat a lot less than 2m apart and that’s OK? 

You have a choice in that tho`!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, jonz said:

But you can go to the pub inside and be sat a lot less than 2m apart and that’s OK? 

If you want to, which I don’t, not because of COVID but because I just really don’t enjoy them!  It just seems a shame to have everyone go round in squads of 6 for safety reasons then for example we had a breakdown on stand 11 I think and there was the squad half way through shooting, us at the waiting area then another 2 squads came up, all trying to get into see the targets, so 24 people all shoulder to shoulder. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an enjoyable shoot at Hangman's Stone today, the weather was mostly kind, especially considering the forecast. The long targets let me down and I dropped three each on stands 6 and 9 (where I smashed them last time I was there,) I know I'm behind them. I dropped one here and one there to bag a 90, my best at this venue👍. Trigger freeze seems to be my constant companion these days ☹️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, donna said:

My one bug bear at moment too. The English Open at Barbury was an excellent shoot and there were signs up everywhere for the “waiting area” for the stands and not one squad took any notice at all.  It was only on stand 15 in the trailer people waited but that was purely because they couldn’t get in the trailer! 

The British at Garlands last year was a joke at times as well. Around the course was OK and the booking on area. But the food kiosk, toilets and shop nobody seemed to care less about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did ok today, 90 at Hangmanstone and once again dodged the rain.

Missed 2 teal on stand 3, 2 of the long loopers on 6 (tried taking the first 2 early and missed, then next 2 I let run on and I opened up a good gap) and 3 of the long battue on 9, don't think I gave it enough.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, donna said:

If you want to, which I don’t, not because of COVID but because I just really don’t enjoy them!  It just seems a shame to have everyone go round in squads of 6 for safety reasons then for example we had a breakdown on stand 11 I think and there was the squad half way through shooting, us at the waiting area then another 2 squads came up, all trying to get into see the targets, so 24 people all shoulder to shoulder. 

Really don’t think the risk is that great when outside, 10,000 allowed to go to Twickenham yesterday so a couple of squads at a clay ground is hardly worth getting wound up about, but that’s just my view. Aren’t we supposed to be protected by the vaccine?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bisondan said:

I did ok today, 90 at Hangmanstone and once again dodged the rain.

Missed 2 teal on stand 3, 2 of the long loopers on 6 (tried taking the first 2 early and missed, then next 2 I let run on and I opened up a good gap) and 3 of the long battue on 9, don't think I gave it enough.

When you say OK, you mean rather well! So we struggled with the same targets i.e. 6 & 9, fortunately I hit one of each and from that deduced that I was not being bold enough with lead. I was OK with the teal, took them early with a bit of lead.

Edited by Martinj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jonz said:

Really don’t think the risk is that great when outside, 10,000 allowed to go to Twickenham yesterday so a couple of squads at a clay ground is hardly worth getting wound up about, but that’s just my view. Aren’t we supposed to be protected by the vaccine?

Jonz I’ve had both jabs yet still practice social distancing, it is still down to people to protect themselves no matter what.

If you ignored the signs and congregated with our squad,I’d have no hesitation in telling you to bugger off.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, wynno said:

Jonz I’ve had both jabs yet still practice social distancing, it is still down to people to protect themselves no matter what.

If you ignored the signs and congregated with our squad,I’d have no hesitation in telling you to bugger off.

 

18 minutes ago, wynno said:

Jonz I’ve had both jabs yet still practice social distancing, it is still down to people to protect themselves no matter what.

If you ignored the signs and congregated with our squad,I’d have no hesitation in telling you to bugger off.

And you’ll get the same reply from me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jonz said:

Really don’t think the risk is that great when outside, 10,000 allowed to go to Twickenham yesterday so a couple of squads at a clay ground is hardly worth getting wound up about, but that’s just my view. Aren’t we supposed to be protected by the vaccine?

Only to a certain extent and if you’ve had both jabs. I’ve had my first and get my second in 2 weeks.  I’m still practicing caution in my salon and when I go shopping. My dad is seriously ill so I’m probably over cautious at the moment. Personally I cannot wait to go to a shoot and give everyone I know a bloody big hug!  🤗🤗

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jonz said:

 

And you’ll get the same reply from me!

So being safe means nothing to you 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wynno said:

So being safe means nothing to you 

Yes it does, but the guidelines are changing, you can mix with other people and even meet indoors and hug people so where’s the problem?

Take it you didn’t watch the shoot off for the English Open then?

BD203363-EB5E-4E59-BE88-FE0F20356F23.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jonz said:

Yes it does, but the guidelines are changing, you can mix with other people and even meet indoors and hug people so where’s the problem?

Take it you didn’t watch the shoot off for the English Open then?

BD203363-EB5E-4E59-BE88-FE0F20356F23.jpeg

You are being very selective in the information you spout, yes you can meet with a very limited number indoors and outdoors, hugging is something that do with loved ones, not the general public, and looking at the photo and the very soggy people, I’m glad I was shooting elsewhere.

So as I said previously, if you were to ignore signage and encroach upon the squad that I’m with, my remark to you would still be bugger off and move away.

 

End of discussion.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Think that last post was uncalled for chap.

We still have SD rules in the whole of the UK.

 

OK, the last post (that I originally referred to) has now been removed... so now this post doesn’t look right, but all good in the world! 👍

Edited by Fred Flintstone
To update
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Think that last post was uncalled for chap.

We still have SD rules in the whole of the UK.

Hang on with the posts I am going to get some popcorn 👀

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...