Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Will Hewland

OK, I'll chip in with last weeks efforts.

Churchills last Thursday.  First Reg comp of 2021 for me.  Started well, straight on 1 and 2, only dropped two of the longer crossers on the scaffold platform stand, which I think a few other people struggled on.  Lost focus a bit after that and dropped a couple of each of the following stands.  Managed to hit two of the orange teal (that I found difficult to see), which I was happy with as I'm been a bit off with teal since restarting.  The real meltdown came on Stand 9.  Sim pair of left to right targets.  I dropped 9!  Head was all over the place on 10 and dropped 4.  Got it together again and was just 1 away over the last two stands.  Finished on 71, but actually scored 72.  They did me out of a point by marking me missed pair on Stand 7, when I hit the first target then had a no bird and missed the repeated pair.  Slightly annoying, but in the grand scheme of things makes no difference to a mediocre score.

Kibworth last Friday.  Leaked targets throughout this one.  Was hitting first pairs and then being careful trying to make sure and missing as a result.  Last few stands I got angry with myself and just shot them - helped a lot.  Enjoyed the targets, particularly the huge battue on Stand 11. The valley created by having two big banks built close together also makes for some very interesting below the feet targets.  Thought I was going to have a much worse score than at Churchills, but the last few stands saved me and I finished on 72.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Highwaymans for us on Sunday. Never shot there before and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Had 2 bad stands and not one straight, either dropped last 2 or last one which is annoying.  Need to concentrate more on that and I need to get my arse into gear re chokes.  First couple of stands and a few later ones were really close, could have easily used a skeet choke especially as two stands were sim pairs.  No point having chokes if I don’t change them!  After having a PB at Barrow week before down to earth with a normal 70 this week,   I must admit Pip is not well enough to walk round the courses any more so we had to leave her in the truck which was playing on our minds quite a bit.  Booked in for 2 sporting this Sunday so that should be fun!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll happily tell you all how many I missed during my sporting practice sessions!

To be fair, I’ve overcome the nerves and worries, and this Sunday sees me going in for my FIRST squad shoot ever, at a small local club in Kent.
Blimey... people watching me, and I’ll have a score-card and everything!

So watch out Will... I’ll be on your heels soon! 🤣

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I’ll happily tell you all how many I missed during my sporting practice sessions!

To be fair, I’ve overcome the nerves and worries, and this Sunday sees me going in for my FIRST squad shoot ever, at a small local club in Kent.
Blimey... people watching me, and I’ll have a score-card and everything!

So watch out Will... I’ll be on your heels soon! 🤣

That won’t be hard. 😀 Best of luck, enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

Oh, and I'm booked in for the Bennelli semi-auto shoot at AGL on Saturday.  I've shot the semi-auto I bought last year precisely three times, so not expecting much apart from fun.  Churchills again next week as well.

• Like 1

Had my second jab yesterday and today I feel so bad I’m not going to go shooting this Sunday…. Bloody virus 🦠 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wynno said:

Had my second jab yesterday and today I feel so bad I’m not going to go shooting this Sunday…. Bloody virus 🦠 

I had my second jab on Wednesday (Pfizer), didn't feel great yesterday but feel fine today. Hopefully you'll be fighting fit by Sunday chap 

1 hour ago, wynno said:

Jab Thursday, too ill for Sunday? You’d be better off with COVID!

5 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Had it Will, and it was a bugger. Feel like I’ve been run over by a bus, so one Sunday out of it won’t harm.

7 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I have noticed that only the Southern Softie Sporting Shooters seem to be the ones moaning there not well🤣must be the water ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, balltrap said:

I have noticed that only the Southern Softie Sporting Shooters seem to be the ones moaning there not well🤣must be the water ?

Wynno is Welsh. A different breed to us southern softies. Could be serious. 😀

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

Must be South Wales ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

It is Will…… can’t even raise a smile at the comments, much less my gun to my shoulder 

Getting older definitely is a bitch 😟😟😟

• Sad 1

Got my second jab coming on Tuesday. Made sure it wasn’t a shoot the next day..

20 hours ago, wynno said:

Had it Will, and it was a bugger. Feel like I’ve been run over by a bus, so one Sunday out of it won’t harm.

Was poorly 2 days and out of sorts for another 2 after my 1st Oxford jab,hope the 2nd isn`t as bad!

17 minutes ago, Garwood said:

Was poorly 2 days and out of sorts for another 2 after my 1st Oxford jab,hope the 2nd isn`t as bad!

Had my 2nd AZ jab a month ago. No after effects at all, but then I'm a cockney not a soft southerner! 😛

• Haha 1

I’m sure I’ll be fine, but I may still blame it for missing a long teal 3 days later. 

• Haha 1

And to anyone following this topic, get the jabs when they are offered, the side effects are minor compared to the full blown illness 🦠🦠

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Bennelli's today at AGL.  Was supposed to be a bit of fun with my semi-auto.  Ended up not wanting to be there.  Miserably drizzly weather and slow going, even though it was squadded.  Never loaded three carts into the gun before and was struggling at first and kept jamming it. Got used to it after the first couple of stands and calmed down a bit.  Actually started enjoying the targets.  Then Stand 9.  Repeated trap breakdowns meant that we waited over an hour in the rain to shoot it.  At that point I just wanted it over.  Dropped loads over the last four stands.  Think I finished on 67, but not sure as I stopped counting.

In other circumstances I think I could quite enjoy this sort of shoot, with sim trio's etc, but nearly four hours just made it miserable.

Edited by Bebo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bebo, I think just about everyone has Been there, done that and got very wet in the process.

Its then you start thinking, why didn’t I take up darts instead 😁😁😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bebo said:

Bennelli's today at AGL.  Was supposed to be a bit of fun with my semi-auto.  Ended up not wanting to be there.  Miserably drizzly weather and slow going, even though it was squadded.  Never loaded three carts into the gun before and was struggling at first and kept jamming in. Got used to it after the first couple of stands and calmed down a it.  Actually started enjoying the targets.  Then Stand 9.  Repeated trap breakdowns meant that we waited over an hour in the rain to shoot it.  At that point I just wanted it over.  Dropped loads over the last four stands.  Think I finished on 67, but not sure as I stopped counting.

In other circumstances I think I could quite enjoy this sort of shoot, with sim trio's etc, but nearly four hours just made it miserable.

68 🥉Well done 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Simbo said:

68 🥉Well done 

One more than I thought.  Must have been a low entry for that to get 3rd in Ladies.  I thought I was particularly crap today, dropped loads I shouldn't have.

• Haha 1

Sooooo...

Entered my first ‘scored’ shoot ever at my local club today.

Managed (what I am calling) a respectable 54 for a first time, with 2 really tricky stands that I lost 8 at each! Most importantly, real fun morning and met some nice folk. Already booked for next week with my new-found squad.

Oh... managed a fluke on a sim pair, taking both birds with one shot! (Try as I might, I couldn’t do it again)

...And just managed to miss the rain, which came just as we finished for tea all round!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Oh... managed a fluke on a sim pair, taking both birds with one shot! (Try as I might, I couldn’t do it again)

Yes, it usually ends badly when you try that!

Redricks for us this morning, was going onto Barrow afterwards but had to cancel as my dad was supposed to be coming out of hospital, found out yesterday that wasn’t going to happen 😥 Anyway, first time at this shoot and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Started off well, then just had a couple of stands that didn’t go my way then picked up again towards the end.  Had a good squad of 3 other nice lads and even Pip managed to walk all the way round bless her. Bumped into Jane who I haven’t seen for ages so it was nice to have a catch up.  Good mixture of targets, even put my skeet choke in for some then some lovely long chondels, midis and battues. It was muddy and we just got to the last when the heavens opened but will be going back.  Now looking forward to the English Open on Weds. 

• Like 6