Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.

Will Hewland

Doug Pinnegar

I was really looking forward to shooting the H&H challenge shoot but Range Rover reliability struck whilst I was on the M40 😪

• Haha 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Will Hewland

• donna

• GlawsterCodger

• Doug Pinnegar

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would kick off a new page for the new era. I broke my 15 week break today at Holland and Holland, who are now doing a Challenge 100 target shoot. This one runs to 20th April and they wi

Well, 4 of us shot the Holland and Holland Challenge shoot.  Never been there before so it was lovely to see such a beautiful place, lovely grounds, nice staff and Will!  Now, Will did warn me about s

Don't understand all this garbage on FB and here about selection shoots and majors being un-registered, or not counting to your averages. They may be, and rightly so, tougher than your average shoot,

donna

Well, I emailed H&H, not to have a moan but just to say if they’re going to be putting in regular shoots this would have to be addressed, it has to be fair for all. I had a lovely phone call from them today offering me a complementary round.  I explained I didn’t email them for that but appreciated the gesture all the same.  I cannot do the challenge as targets cannot be changed now but was very impressed with the way it was dealt with. Good service. 

• Like 4
Will Hewland
23 hours ago, donna said:

Well, I emailed H&H, not to have a moan but just to say if they’re going to be putting in regular shoots this would have to be addressed, it has to be fair for all. I had a lovely phone call from them today offering me a complementary round.  I explained I didn’t email them for that but appreciated the gesture all the same.  I cannot do the challenge as targets cannot be changed now but was very impressed with the way it was dealt with. Good service. 

They are due to change the course after this one ends on 28th now I believe. You can see they are dipping a toe with competition shooting and have some lessons to learn, but I’m in favour of keeping it to constructive criticism (as Donna did) because this place can be a great resource for us comp shooters in time. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

They are due to change the course after this one ends on 28th now I believe. You can see they are dipping a toe with competition shooting and have some lessons to learn, but I’m in favour of keeping it to constructive criticism (as Donna did) because this place can be a great resource for us comp shooters in time. 

If they start doing a monthly reg there that would be great.  Could do with another one within a 2hr drive.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Totally agree Will, so many of us moan about not being able to see a target and unless we tell them they don’t know what to change but it’s the way you go about it.  It would be great if they did start to do regular shoots there, I thought it was lovely and enjoyed it. 

• Thanks 1

Court Farm this afternoon. First comp this year for me, albeit not a Reg one. Defo not match fit. Straight on the first two stands, one away on 3 and then I started to wobble. Started dropping last pairs or one bird of the last couple of pairs. Then dropped 5 on a following teal that I should have been all over. Put both things down to being over cautious and aiming instead of just shooting the bloody targets. Did ok on crossing stuff, managed to rein in the overleading. Finished on 78, but it wasn't a tough round and should have been mid-80s on those targets.

• Like 1
Doug Pinnegar

Honesberie for me today, again another really enjoyable round. I managed 85 (possibly 86, not sure on my maths 😄). Scores are up but it looks like one of my stands might have been confused with the person I shot with. Will be sorted quick I'm sure.

They have the best flowing system that I've shot. You go around as a pair and it's rare that you get to a stand and have to wait for the pair in front to finish shooting. It runs super smoothly and helps ensure there is no bunching of people.

• Thanks 1
Will Hewland
15 hours ago, Doug Pinnegar said:

Honesberie for me today, again another really enjoyable round. I managed 85 (possibly 86, not sure on my maths 😄). Scores are up but it looks like one of my stands might have been confused with the person I shot with. Will be sorted quick I'm sure.

They have the best flowing system that I've shot. You go around as a pair and it's rare that you get to a stand and have to wait for the pair in front to finish shooting. It runs super smoothly and helps ensure there is no bunching of people.

Yes it is certainly the quickest round I know, due to the pairs method. 

I enjoyed it. Maybe wants one more hard stand, but some good stuff there. A stellar entry makes it look easier than it is. I had a nightmare on stand 7, missed 5 just trying to hit the orange in the wrong place until the last attempt. Got annoyed and missed the other clay too. Really silly. Otherwise not bad. Finished on 88 which would have been 90 if I had not stopped the scorers give me two kills that were losses..

Fred Flintstone

Well, not quite in the league of most here yet, but had a great day (and first day) at West Kent last week for a practice session (thanks for the tip @donna ).

Really nice ground and well laid out. Great tower!

managed to get myself up to 58, so not applying for the GB squad yet, but it’s an improvement and a PB. Going the right way, still enjoying it, and still very much learning! 

... But great fun!

Note to self: book next coaching session!)

• Like 1