Jump to content

Sporting Shoots 2021. Reports and discussion.


Will Hewland
 Share

Recommended Posts

Churchill's on Thursday.  Three stands I was disappointed with.  Scaffold platform, miss a pair, hit a pair and then end same again. Just sloppy doing that.  Grouse butt I couldn't hit what looked like a simple low going away target, think I was stopping the gun on it.  Sim pair on the next stand finished the demolition of my card - 3/10.  Only dropped 6 all together on the other 9 stands for a 78.

Driving back from a few days away in the Midlands and popped into Court Farm on the way home.  Thought it was pretty wind affected and I had several stands that I should have done better on.  Worst one was first stand up the hill - low lr crosser and a really high battue.  In the wind, not a single one of the battues opened up and I kept hanging onto them waiting for that to happen, missing every one.  Abysmal 1/8 on that and a total score of 72.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did get a bit distracted today by the three chaps in front of me on a few stands. Non cpsa shooters. The older one went first of the group each time, hitting between 0 and 50%. He then fully coached the two younger guys who were hitting 30-60%. It was when he blanked a stand and then jumped into coach position I could only look at the floor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I did get a bit distracted today by the three chaps in front of me on a few stands. Non cpsa shooters. The older one went first of the group each time, hitting between 0 and 50%. He then fully coached the two younger guys who were hitting 30-60%. It was when he blanked a stand and then jumped into coach position I could only look at the floor. 

First time at a registered in a while that wasn't squadded and althouch I got round in about 2 hours it did feel a lot longer, had 2 or 3 stands with a bit of a wait so the shooting didn't feel like it flowed quite as it usually would. Not sure what can be done better, my only thought would be a one-way system or have some squads go out for the first couple of hours then have it as a free for all?

Personally I wasn't very good last weekend but did better yesterday and today; 85 at Ham Cross, missing 6 rabbits which is really unlike me wrecked the card a bit, and 86 at Hangmangstone today with teal being my nemesis today again hitting 6 out of the possible 8, but stupidly went to football yesterday afternoon and got carried away after with some mates, beer flowing nicely, still in the curry house at gone 11 meant that I wasn't overly fresh this morning 😂 

Older coach and two younger shots in front of us on the second to last stand I shot, he was telling them what to do, went in first and missed most of what was a fairly simple slow rabbit followed by trap bird, younger lad went in after and smashed them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barbury today, weather bright sunny with just a mild breeze was just about perfect, this lovely bright sun though did cause me one or two squinty looking into sun moments.

Was a very late booker to this squadded shoot and was with four new faces, all very pleasant fellows and a very young lass at her first registered shoot, did think a few of the stands were daunting enough for old fossils let alone one so new. 

I could boldly say that I shot some of the targets very well, sadly I shot many more very badly, the many l-rights having wrecked my card before stand 4, did find some /quite a few of the "testing" targets only to be befuddled by some that I really should be finding. 

Was finished & left well before close, so afraid no idea of scores, there was though a distinct buzz around the place, which is Ive found is very busy no matter what day I find myself there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, GlawsterCodger said:

 there was though a distinct buzz around the place, which is Ive found is very busy no matter what day I find myself there.

Barbury demonstrates that, whether for practice or a comp, people like nice facilities, good parking and a mud free environment. Add in a friendly atmosphere, good catering, 1st world standard toilets and plenty of stands with a mix of targets and it's easy to see why they get the numbers. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Westward said:

Barbury demonstrates that, whether for practice or a comp, people like nice facilities, good parking and a mud free environment. Add in a friendly atmosphere, good catering, 1st world standard toilets and plenty of stands with a mix of targets and it's easy to see why they get the numbers. 

Totally agree, I wish I lived closer to Barbury, it’s a great ground.  Every time weve shot there someone has always come up and asked us what we thought, anything wrong or what could’ve been better etc. I’ve never had a disappointing shoot there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orston today for a quick sportrap as late in the day as I could get. Been working on a few things just lately with which mount to use and when, and a bit of variation in pre shot routine. A very steady course that could have been tougher but come away with a PB of 94, 4 clear of my previous best, and my first ever 25 straight on a layout. Well worth the trip, as expected a fair few mid to late 90's with 98 being high gun. I expect the british this week may be tougher than today's round.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coleys today, was a pleasant, not warm, not cold but pleasant day, no sun to blind one no sharp breeze to wobble the odd clay. Despite the day being near sold out was in a small squad of four, flip side was that each and every one of us had the honour of being first up three times. No scores displayed so no idea how course had been shooting, as per the crossing l-rights did for me early doors, was though a good mix of targets, lots to hit, fair few to miss also, tripped up on last stand so was a 🤨 day so close to a 😊 day for I. 
In squad with Julian Morris whose 97 was HG, am sure it’s because he had the dubious honour of following me 🤪

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

British open at Swinton, (copied from other thread)

I shot the sportrap yesterday morning. Nice set of courses that set off relatively simple and got harder as they went through. Layout 3 had some stiffer birds on it and the 4th had a huge looper. Dave Woolly's 98 will take some beating. All placed in a very nice setting with traps hidden away, I came away with an 89 which I was pretty chuffed with. All in all I thought it was a very good sportrap.

 

Shot the esp in the afternoon and the wheels came off a bit then. Again a lovely setting, all in trees and up banks, very similar to Grimsthorpe or Hodnet. Targets were all very fair, nothing outrageously difficult but plenty at a fair distance or to trip you up. Just lost my focus too many times dropping 1' & 2's here and there with a calamity on stand 3 dropping 6 that destroyed my card early on to finish on 89 ex 120. Realistically I was a good 10 or more light as to where I should have been. Only complaints I heard were about a rabbit jumping a bit on stand 6. Monster driven on stand 14, not something you get at a standard registered these days.

 

All in all I think it will be regarded as a very good shoot and a success for the ground, reffing was all good, good trade Village, toilets and bins dotted about. Well done to Swinton.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Redricks today. I’ll claim that I wasn’t in top condition due to long haul jet lag. Firstly, credit to Phil Moss for progressing this newish ground. Improved facilities / stands every time I go there. 
 

I think it was 12 very good stands today, although a bit relentless. Personally I would have softened off two or three stands, to make it a course that the mass crowd might appreciate a little more. Joint HG of 90. I hit 80 which included missing 7 on one stand! 

I will definitely be back, to ensure my tour of grounds includes a firm one, but it is a firm one..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Redricks for me as well, early doors.   An enjoyable round with the added bonus of shooting with Jane Bennett who I haven’t  seen in a while since she moved so a good catch up.  Saw Bebo as well, good to see you.   On to Northampton which was quite tough and I should have tried harder but it was too warm for me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was good to see you too Sian.  I had a shocker.  Started pretty well and was in reasonable shape to hit my average after the first 7 stands.  The sim pair on Stand 8 destroyed me - hit 3 from 10.  It then got into my head that I needed to not miss many more and resulted in some horrendous hanging on an gun slowing.  Missed the first two pairs on 10, just from being overly careful, started moving the gun freely and destroyed the last two pairs.  Same on 11, hit two of the 70mm targets but missed two measuring the lead and even one of the easier bird I missed behind.  By that stage I was so bad I even started trigger flinching on 12. 

Started the week really well with an 86 at Churchills on Thursday and turned that completely on it's head with a 68 on Sunday.  Bad enough that it will drop off the bottom of my averages.  I really need to stop score watching and just shoot the bloody targets!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holland and Holland for us today, 75 for me which I was fairly pleased with then I saw the results and only 8 people shot over 80, highest being 85 and I was 17th overall so felt a bit better. Again 3 stands cost me by being too short, stand 2 was a l-r blaze supposed to be going over a tree but even though I stood as far back in the stand as I could to see it a bit more, it was a struggle. Hit a few but more luck then anything.  Onto the dreaded platform - the barrier is quite high for me and both targets were below your feet so again I was literally on tip toes so I could be comfortable with the gun over the barrier and actually see the targets.  As this was a 10 bird stand I was a bit peed off.  Then stand 11, a midi r-l going behind trees, again it was worse for me being short as it just disappeared but I never saw anyone hit it and we had a few tall lads in the squad.  I love the ground, the facilities and the fact that in the 3 shoots I’ve shot there we’ve shot different parts of the ground which is nice but I just wish they would take into account these silly mistakes which are easily rectified. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out yesterday for a sneeky midweek registered. First visit to Barby (cadman) sporting for a very long time. Some big improvements have been made with some more in the pipeline. Nice looking cafe which I didn't partake in.  I hope they get the planning as it will catapult this ground into one of the premier facilities anywhere in the country. Really friendly place , everyone happy to have a chat. Really nice airgun range too if that's your thing. So the sporting is shot mainly from within bunding and covered stands . Squaded and it ran really well  . It was a pretty breezy day and red hot too. I didn't fare well on what looks to be a pretty tough shoot. But it was a very enjoyable day with some good targets.  So if you are able to get out midweek I'd give this a go. 50 bird open sportrap comp Saturday and wednsday. Also open for practice on claymate. Check with them for days/times. 

Recommended. 

Jasper. 

Edited by jasper
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had another shocker, this time at Gatton Bottom. Really didn't enjoy the shoot at all today. The usual eyesight tests with edgy orange targets against a yellow stubble background. As well as that they had three targets that were fairly quick with a limited window to shoot them in, just didn't find it fun at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bebo said:

Just had another shocker, this time at Gatton Bottom. Really didn't enjoy the shoot at all today. The usual eyesight tests with edgy orange targets against a yellow stubble background. As well as that they had three targets that were fairly quick with a limited window to shoot them in, just didn't find it fun at all. 

I heard a very similar report from others.. I’m not in a hurry to reacquaint myself with the place. 

A very good course at Honesberie today. Stand 1 was pretty easy, then everything after that needed your attention. I was actually very happy with how I was going (finally lost the jet lag from last week). However, got totally poleaxed on stand 12, more than doubling my losses in one go. Just misread them. Finished on 89.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

I heard a very similar report from others.. I’m not in a hurry to reacquaint myself with the place. 

Dartford was on today, I should have done that. Horne is convenient for me, particularly as you can just decide to go on the spur of the moment, but I think I'll give it a miss for a few weeks at least.  They did have homemade bread pudding, so at least my husband benefited from me going this time.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gunsite early doors which I enjoyed and then a longer than expected drive to Honesberie for last card at 3pm.  As Will said a good course but I just had nothing to give and did terribly.   Maybe two shoots is too much now.  The drive home was too long as well,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shot at Gunsite today, it was only my second time there and I must make an effort to get down there more often, It has such a fantastic setting with West Kennet Long barrow and Silbury hill clearly visible on the way out and Avebury just up the road.

It was a warm day, thankfully not too sunny otherwise it would have been roasting, sadly I started off poorly missing three of the second of a sim pair of rabbits, the trend continued throughout, I was just missing a lot of fairly simple birds that I would hit on a good day, conversely I did well on some of the trickier stands. I finished with a straight on stand 12 (nearest the entrance) which included a tricky looper - t'was a nice way to finish. The damage was 17 away, I left thinking I'd like to come back when I was on better form.

BTW, well done Sian for winning Ladies

Edited by Martinj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I heard a very similar report from others.. I’m not in a hurry to reacquaint myself with the place. 

A very good course at Honesberie today. Stand 1 was pretty easy, then everything after that needed your attention. I was actually very happy with how I was going (finally lost the jet lag from last week). However, got totally poleaxed on stand 12, more than doubling my losses in one go. Just misread them. Finished on 89.

Glad I wasn't the only one on Stand 12 today... Straighted 8 stands today & walked on there for a 90... walked off with an 84 😭 but was a funny pair on the eyes. Cleverly set I guess! 

Enjoyed the shoot though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a pretty good weekend behind the gun.

88 at College Saturday morning, 93 was HG and I missed 4 on the last stand sadly, then a pretty tidy 91 at Gunsite yesterday in the nice weather.

Took my little French Bulldog 'Dennis' out both days, his first time out shooting and he absolutely loved it; loads of new smells, met some other doggos, and got a load of fuss made over him.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, jasper said:

Out yesterday for a sneeky midweek registered. First visit to Barby (cadman) sporting for a very long time. Some big improvements have been made with some more in the pipeline. Nice looking cafe which I didn't partake in.  I hope they get the planning as it will catapult this ground into one of the premier facilities anywhere in the country. Really friendly place , everyone happy to have a chat. Really nice airgun range too if that's your thing. So the sporting is shot mainly from within bunding and covered stands . Squaded and it ran really well  . It was a pretty breezy day and red hot too. I didn't fare well on what looks to be a pretty tough shoot. But it was a very enjoyable day with some good targets.  So if you are able to get out midweek I'd give this a go. 50 bird open sportrap comp Saturday and wednsday. Also open for practice on claymate. Check with them for days/times. 

Recommended. 

Jasper. 

Video up on YouTube of this shoot. Thanks to Ben Wells. (Englishsportingclays) .

Follow the link in the reviews forum .

Jasper. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 9:06 PM, Martinj said:

I shot at Gunsite today, it was only my second time there and I must make an effort to get down there more often, It has such a fantastic setting with West Kennet Long barrow and Silbury hill clearly visible on the way out and Avebury just up the road.

It was a warm day, thankfully not too sunny otherwise it would have been roasting, sadly I started off poorly missing three of the second of a sim pair of rabbits, the trend continued throughout, I was just missing a lot of fairly simple birds that I would hit on a good day, conversely I did well on some of the trickier stands. I finished with a straight on stand 12 (nearest the entrance) which included a tricky looper - t'was a nice way to finish. The damage was 17 away, I left thinking I'd like to come back when I was on better form.

BTW, well done Sian for winning Ladies

Thank you.  There were a few I kicked myself about.  I did well on that stand too 👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...